Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
Ever ridden in trailer while moving?

Provincial / State Trailer Regulations

(the link is originally introduced by Canlib: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...tml#post864163)

Note that some mid-western (flat?) states allow people to ride in the trailer while traveling on highway. I didn't know this. Not sure if I advocate, but it's very interesting.

Imagine a leisurely picture of travelers enjoying a moving scenery while having one's favorite meal and drink, just like the aristocratic dining car of a train in some movie.

Do you have any stories?

What do you think?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Remember the movie The Long Trailer? Lucy tried it.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I wouldn't plan on moving around too much inside a moving TT - one small 'twitch' by the TV, and you're on your a$$ - those things bounce around a lot more than you think - take a quick ride around the block back there and you'll see what I mean!

Moho's and to some degree, 5th wheels are much more forgiving that TT's moving down the road!

Stay safe out there...

Ray
Old 06-25-2010, 01:47 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hephzibah , Georgia
if you suspect your trailer has a harsh ride, then riding in the trailer is the best way to figure it out.
i wouldn't recommend doing that on a cross country trip. maybe just over some speed bumps in a parking lot.
nti06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
You know I have seen this question posed before and then just recently on the Good Sam site, although it may seem like an attractive idea (I have thought about it many times) and it would eliminate the TV & passenger problem, and most states dont have no real definative laws against it, there is one serious problem it does propose; What happens if the TT comes unhooked? From some of the accidents I have seen involving TT's from when I drove tow truck, it would not be a pretty site for those in the TT if they survived.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I'd be green in 5 minutes if somebody put me back there. (yep, we're one of the flat states that don't restrict it) Couldn't even make it through the first half hour of watching Blair Witch Project.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Another movie: A Perfect World

Check out A Perfect World with Kevin Costner -- KC is an escaped convict with a hostage, the FBI is chasing him in a moving Airstream that is the command center, towed by an automobile, I think. The interior is modified with communications, listening and recording equipment, the actors are standing around, not being jostled around at all. Looks like a real smooth ride!
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Remember the movie The Long Trailer? Lucy tried it.

Lesson learned: it's much harder to keeper yer balance in pumps....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
The only time I'd like to ride in my trailer would be for a brief diagnostic session. I think wheel balance, sound of the bearings, ride, etc. would be revealing.

I can't control the conditions so I don't do it for safety sake.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
_

. , .
excellent recollection

the HI-tek stream in that flick is hilarious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAnne View Post
... the actors are standing around, not being jostled around at all. Looks like a real smooth ride!
yep, the ride looks MAGICALLY smooth and on gravel roads too...

oh wait it's hollywood right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
... What happens if the TT comes unhooked?...
well as a matter of fiction, the trailer in THIS FLICK does come off the ball of the cool ol' bourbon that's pulling it.

and clintE n company have an exciting few minutes before it peacefully rolls to a stop.

riding IN a moho is nothing like riding in a trailer.

and the often advised "ride in yer trailer to evaluate the running gear/ride" is wacky...

without knowing what NORMAL is, how does one evaluate the ride inside a trailer ?

with axle placement as it is VERTICAL movement ANYPLACE other than directly over the tires is gonna be exaggerated.

even over the axle/s pitchnroll is gonna be significant.

one would need to spend a LOT of time riding inside to develop 'streamer-sea legs...

and that old red head may have the MOST experience riding in moving trailers of ne1 (even while they are ON FIRE)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...you-38546.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I think unusual wheel bearing sounds or wheel balance issues could be easily spotted.

Not advocating riding back there, just have a bit of curiosity. The Lucy segment is hilarious, but my guess it is not that violent back there. I've found eye glasses setting on the counter in the same place after 100 miles.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Montgomery , Texas
My brother and I used to ride in the horse trailer all the time (the living quarters part) We had walkie talkies so we could talk to our parents. The thing to be careful about is carbon monoxide. A friend of ours let there son take a nap in the trailer and when they got there he had died. So keep the windows shut! As far as the laws go, Its only wrong if you get caught
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Niagara Falls , New York
I did it quite a bit back in 1970 with a trip with my parents from NY to WA, then down to Calif & back. At the time, they had an 18-20 ft Concord trailer towed by a 1970 Chrysler Newport. Was even in it when it blew a tire. I held up a sign in the front window (marking pen on paper plate) that it had blown a tire. Took awhile to finally get someones attention. Riding in it was quiet but very jiggly, but nothing like in the movie, The Long, Long Trailer. Every movement inside was exaggerated for the movie. Wouldn't ride in one today for obvious safety reasons.
ata3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
We used to ride in my parents '76 Sovereign, when I was younger.
I remember it being loud as heck.. especially the pots and pans banging around.. wind noise, road noise..

It was fun 'surfing' in the front lounge area, until you took a header into the 8-track cabinet top edge...
Old 06-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Honk if you love Jesus.
Ride in your trailer if you want to meet him sooner.

Just sayin'...
Llano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
a video camera would capture a good idea of conditions. i'd secure it well ;-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I wouldn't. Ever see the interior of an Airstream that has rolled? It's not good - the one I saw had most of the cabinets and such that were mounted on the wall on the floor, or at least pulling away from the wall. Stay in the TV.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Years ago, we used to let our dog ride in a small Cardinal TT. When we stopped, she used come out all wild-eyed and hyper. Then, my wife rode back there with the dog for about 1/2 mile, when we were changing spots. Same look: wild-eyed and hyper; oh, and mad because I couldn't hear her screaming to stop! Evidently, if the dog could talk, she would have told us that it was like a wild carnival ride back there.

Last year, my wife rode in the back of our Airstream on the road to Madison Arm Resort in West Yellowstone, to see why our oven and all of the cabinet doors came off. It rode much smoother than the old Cardinal, but still not something you would want to do. Also, after listening to our carbon monoxide alarm beeping in our Airstream after we stop, we don't put our dog in any trailer anymore.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Agoura Hills , California
I slept for about 4 hours in the upper bed in a 5th wheel one night, it was okay (I was really tired) since we were on a smooth road. When I got up, I noticed the further back you moved in the 5th wheel the wilder it got. I tried to sit on the sofa in the back and the sway a killer. I would guess the sway starts right at the hitch on an AS.
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
The only time I'd like to ride in my trailer would be for a brief diagnostic session. I think wheel balance, sound of the bearings, ride, etc. would be revealing.

I can't control the conditions so I don't do it for safety sake.
...speaking of wheel balancing , have you folks checked out the 'Centramatic wheel balancers' shown on the inland RV website?