Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2022, 07:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Northern , California
Equipping for a test trip

To make sure my wife will like this kind of life we’re renting a Cruise America SOB small motorhome for a week, 1600 miles with a visit to my Dad. Looks like the RV comes with dump hose (I hope its not a mess), clean water hose and a 30A line. I’m assembling a list of what to bring, that we will use in our (very probable) AS purchase.

Ignoring personal items I think we’ll need
  • Water filter (who knows what’s going on with the onboard tank)
  • Gloves for dealing with the dump station
  • Cleaning solutions
  • Dishware - any thoughts on Wheat Straw plates?
  • Cutlery
  • Sheets/blankets
  • Safety (first aid kit, road safety kit like flare/reflective triangle etc)
  • Food & Containers

Anything I’m missing, and suggestions for brands? Thanks!
DrivingDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:36 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

South Tahoe , Nevada
1. Credit Card
2. Another credit card
3. sufficient booze

If you search for "Airforums" on Google with words like "checklist" or "must haves" and whatever you will find some great suggestions. This discussion is older but still pretty good:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48...es-121433.html

Also search the videos on YouTube as many people have really great lists on what you might want to bring. Best of luck!
JetstreamAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 09:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Sounds like a good list. We have a pressure regulator with our water filter so we can keep the pressure where it’s safe for our piping. I don’t know about wheat straw plates, but we just use paper plates and toss. We pre-cook a few meals and carry with us. I’ll smoke a brisket and bag up a couple of meals in a zip lock and make a couple of pizzas at home and foil up. The less time I spend cooking the better. Lastly, I do take a tool box that I keep in the truck. It has the typical tools but a lot of MacGyver stuff like aluminum tape and baling wire. Have fun on your trip.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 04:06 AM   #4
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Cash. Always good to have on hand, and goes surprisingly fast in emergency situations.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 05:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Flashlight, some basic tools ? We've had very good luck with the wheat straw, plates and bowls.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And a roll of duck tape or gorilla tape.

Maggie
Old 11-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Redmond/Tucson , Oregon/Arizona
Watch you tube videos on waste dumping and such and it won't be a mystery or scary.
Ditto on paper plates and plastic ware. Easy cleanup.
Frozen dinners in a bag make dinner time easy and fast. Let's you enjoy the camping experience outside.
davetoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 09:38 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
2000 30' Excella
Lago Vista , Texas
Just get out there and wing it!

You're going to forget somethings guaranteed. And prepare the wife it's not always how it is on instagram. But sometimes it's better!
ONESICKPUPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 09:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Since you are only going for a week, I'd minimize the expense and get just what you need for this trip and not make an investment in things that may or may not be reused in an AS that will have different bed sizes, storage spaces, etc...

The rental companies offer an upgrade for a package that includes all the "kitchen" stuff you'd need.

As far as the water filter, I wouldn't worry for a week. I'd assume the water is not good for drinking and only use it for showering, dishes, and toilet flushing. I'd bring bottled/jugs water to drink and cook with.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 09:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Really good replies. I agree with them all.

Food. We stock leftovers in the freezer at home specifically for transfer to the freezer in the trailer. Pretty great when you can open a container of homemade coq au vin with a nice red blend for dinner.

Coffee. We use a French press at home. Same in the trailer. Stainless steel. Insulated. Easy cleanup. We bring Kona coffee beans same as home. Grinder is a 1Zpresso.

Booze. Wine in the fridge plus reserve in the truck. Whiskey in the fridge.

Tire inflator. Current thread on various kinds. We started with a VIAIR but now carry a DeWALT cordless.

Money. Two credit cards. Lots of cash. Quarters for laundromats.

Gloves. I use latex gloves. Toss after use.

Like most travel…fewer clothes and more money than you think.

I travel with quite a few tools and parts but you shouldn’t need much…maybe a small kit with screwdrivers and a few other items.

Tape. As mentioned above but add blue painters tape for inside and non-residue duct tape for outside. Currently on a seven-week trip with duct tape holding a small section of rub rail in place. The rub rail came loose a few days ago. You barely notice the tape against the aluminum. Of course, I left my rub rail repair kit at home.

Flashlights. Headlights for me. Two in the trailer; one in the truck.

Water filter as mentioned. We use quick connectors. Tee screws onto the faucet. Elbow screws onto the trailer. Quick connectors everywhere needed in between.

Electrical. Surge protector for the post. Inexpensive but good are about $80. Best are ~$250.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Water filter maybe one for on the hose, drink bottled water, I wouldn't trust the rental company to sanitize the tank.

A surge protector/EMS for a rental? Hard pass. If they don't have a hard wired one installed that is their fault and their problem.

Yes to flashlight, credit card and cash.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:28 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
SEATTLE , WA
I'm kind of with the "wing it" crowd on this one, since standard m.o. for first time rv'ers is to buy a bunch of stuff you find you don't really need (we were definitely in that camp).

Bring your phone so you can check Airforums and get directions to the nearest Walmart or RV World if you find you absolutely need something.

A flashlight, a basic toolkit and some duct tape are nice. Download apps like Campendium that will help you plan.

Then as you are on the road start a list of things you will buy for the Airstream you're eventually going to get. Make sure you pull your wife into that conversation so she knows the Airstream is as much for her as it is for you and so she'll start mentally imagining herself RVing.

Have fun!
bcheever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:42 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
North Lauderdale , Florida
A lot of great advice already. Plenty of patience. Prep your protein, season, and freeze. This will expedite cooling the fridge. Plan your route and make sure your give yourself room to get in and out of wherever you go.

Batteries for remotes.
Phone chargers
Bottle opener
French press (already mentioned) we upgraded to a Nespresso (less mess with coffee grounds)
zip lock bags
Broom and dust pan
camp shoes
lighter

Honestly, you'll figure it out. I use the fry erase board in my trailer to add/remove items I find I need when on a trip
Lag323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:51 AM   #14
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Equipping for a test trip

For what it’s worth, keep in mind that traveling with an Airstream and traveling in an SOB rental motorhome is like night and day. Including the act of hustling around a big box of a motor home vs. pulling a streamlined, smooth-towing Airstream . So hopefully that won’t negatively impact your wife’s impression of what Airstreaming might be like. The mental ‘feel’ of being in an SOB vs a light and airy Airstream with beautiful finishes and panoramic windows — is not even close.
Not exactly on topic but wanted to point it out. Have a great trip!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
For what it’s worth, keep in mind that traveling with an Airstream and traveling in an SOB rental motorhome is like night and day. Including the act of hustling around a big box of a motor home vs. pulling a streamlined, smooth-towing Airstream . So hopefully that won’t negatively impact your wife’s impression of what Airstreaming might be like. The mental ‘feel’ of being in an SOB vs a light and airy Airstream with beautiful finishes and panoramic windows — is not even close.
Not exactly on topic but wanted to point it out. Have a great trip!
Agree; but don't discount also the added benefit of traveling in a MH; ie, get up, go back and take a nap, hit the head, or get a snack from the fridge...my experience on the road. Yea it's nice to own the AS when camping, but when traveling, the "options" while traveling IMHO, are with the MH, especially for the wife!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 12:23 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingDan View Post
To make sure my wife will like this kind of life we’re renting a Cruise America SOB small motorhome for a week, 1600 miles with a visit to my Dad. Looks like the RV comes with dump hose (I hope its not a mess), clean water hose and a 30A line. I’m assembling a list of what to bring, that we will use in our (very probable) AS purchase.

Ignoring personal items I think we’ll need
  • Water filter (who knows what’s going on with the onboard tank)
  • Cleaning solutions
  • Dishware - any thoughts on Wheat Straw plates?
  • Cutlery
  • Sheets/blankets
  • Safety (first aid kit, road safety kit like flare/reflective triangle etc)
  • Food & Containers

Anything I’m missing, and suggestions for brands? Thanks!
cash
basic tool kit (epoxy, glue, electrical/duct tape, wire, soldering iron, adjustable wrench, a few screwdrivers, etc.)
AAA or similar card
fuel can, engine oil, and coolant etc.
hairyclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 12:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Remember, the OP is renting a trailer for 1 week, not buying a trailer or doing an extended stay. While all these recommendations are good for someone traveling with their own trailer, most are overkill for the situation here.

There should be no need for maintenance of broken things in a rental RV. The rental agency is responsible for all things. I doubt the need for any engine oil or coolants would be needed or even a good idea to mess with a rental vehicle - if you don't repair it correctly, you'd be opening yourself up to damage charges to re-correct the botched repair you did.

I look at it more like a hotel room on wheels. Do you fix anything in a hotel room yourself?
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 01:41 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Northern , California
Great advice everybody, many thanks. Yeah for this trip I need to have it be successful. I backcountry hiked and camped/fished with my Dad all up through Canada/Alaska, but my wife is more urban minded so the Airstream is meeting in the middle for our retirement. This trip needs to be no drama and has to look effortless. So careful planning is important so she can feel safe, comfortable and relaxed.

Paper plates are a good idea but the waste might bug her, I’ll get both and let her decide. I added two way radios and a NOAA handheld to the list, and will bring along my police/fire handheld.

Otherwise the bottled water suggestion is excellent, regardless we’ll get a number of the couple gallon containers. Oh and CASH! Great suggestion I would have totally missed.

Gypsydad is right on about the MH - I got the small one on purpose as it should be the easiest, we’ll graduate to a Airstream later next year probably.

We’re tea drinkers so I’ve got that covered, but great suggestions about zip lock and come to think of it garbage bags. Well here’s my running list
  • Water filter/bottled (who knows what’s going on with the onboard tank)
  • Cleaning solutions, sweep brush and dust pan
  • Dishware & paper
  • Cutlery
  • Sheets/blankets
  • Safety (first aid kit, road safety kit like flare/reflective triangle etc, NOAA, police/fire, two way radios)
  • Food & Containers
  • Zip lock and garbage bags, paper towels
  • Cash
  • Matches, flashlights, bottle opener
  • Basic repair kit, tape, etc
  • Dash cam for fun and safety!
  • Tire inflator! Good one, don’t want to mess with this
  • Good Sam card, Credit Cards, trip paperwork
  • Surge protector?
DrivingDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 02:18 PM   #19
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
most of all, make it fun and romantic. Bring whatever helps that.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 04:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post

A surge protector/EMS for a rental? Hard pass. If they don't have a hard wired one installed that is their fault and their problem.
Except it’s my problem if the trip is ruined because the electrical system is fried and the DW says, “Nope. We’re doing B&Bs instead”.

Cheap insurance.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote