Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Edisto Beach, South Carolina

Hey!
We're going to stay at the Edisto Beach State Park in South Carolina later this summer. I was hoping to learn about some family friendly restaurants, activities around the area from forum members. We have a 6 year old boy so I don't think we'll be doing any gourmet hangouts unless they have carry out!
Its about an hour out of Charleston, if you can mention any family stuff to do there that would be appreciated too! Thanks for any help!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
There are very few resterants at the beach and none of them would rank as Good. About the best is the Sea Cow but it changed hands last year.

If you go into Charlestown do it on a Saturday and go to the Hunley exhibit, the first submarine. I think you son will like it.

If you are staying in the State Park camp ground make sure you have a site at the beach. Try not to stay at Live Oaks, it s 1/2 mile back off the beach and full of bugs.

If you have not yet gotten a reseveration I will be cancelling site 53 and most likely 55 for June 14 to the 21. Send a PM if interested.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
family friendly restaurants, activities

Go crabbing!

Buy chicken necks, a net with a long handle, some stout string and a bucket.
Walk the beach at low tide and drop the chicken necks into the holes around dock pilings or the rock piers built to control beach erosion.
When you feel a crab tug on the string, pull it in slowly and catch the crab in the net just before he breaks the surface of the water or he will drop off.
Put the crabs in the bucket. When you have more than a dozen, take them back to you place and put them in boiling water, cook, cool and eat with pliers and cocktail sauce.

The Edisto Marina has a restaurant as I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
Hey!
We're going to stay at the Edisto Beach State Park in South Carolina later this summer. I was hoping to learn about some family friendly restaurants, activities around the area from forum members. We have a 6 year old boy so I don't think we'll be doing any gourmet hangouts unless they have carry out!
Its about an hour out of Charleston, if you can mention any family stuff to do there that would be appreciated too! Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crabs.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	56014  
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The Edisto Marina does indeed have a restaurant and it is pretty reasonable. There are also a couple of restaurants in the little commercial area. Can't remeber any names but we ate at several and they were all okay. There is also a pizza joint (required at beach communities).

There is a grocery store right across from the entrance to the beach campground.

Bring a kite -- cheap entertainment. Bikes if you can...

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I forgot Bo Bo Q 7 miles back on 174 from the beach. It is a low country Bar Bar Que that is open Thursday Friday and Saturday nights. Nothing to look at but an experience.

You will be there during the turtle nesting time so touch base with the Rangers and see if there are any evening programs on the beach.

Travel to the south end of the beach about 25 mins. before sundown and you will see the sun set over the water. One of the few places yo can see this on the east coast.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Thanks so much for your replies!

Hey thanks!! Great ideas here, for sure bringing bikes, kites, and all.

Crabbing sounds like a blast!!

Howie thanks for all the info!! We have our reservations already for July, I sure appreciate your kind offer!! I know my tarheel husband will love seeing the Hunley he has a tiny metal one on the tv, from a bank when he was a kid can you believe it? Those ranger programs sound awesome! The best bbq places look sorta shabby on the outside don't they?