Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2004, 06:58 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Question Driving Michigan to Cape Cod

Hello,
Mark and I are picking up our "new to us" 2002 28' Classic next week in Southern Michigan. We plan on spending the first night close to where we pick it up. The couple we are buying it from are being sooooooooo helpful, going with us to set up and then coming back in the morning to walk us through the breakdown of camp. It's true what they say about Airstreamers. We then would like to travel on Rte. 80 through Ohio to Clarion Penn about 350 miles. Is this doable? are we pushing ourselves on our first day? We're used to traveling long distances, 600 plus miles in a day when we go visit our kids at college in VA. We will be towing w/ a 2004 Titan w/ a Hensley hitch. What speed can we expect to travel? is there construction along this route? We will be continuing through Penn and then up the Delaware Water Gap to Rte. 84 through CT.

On another note, we noticed that the PA WBCCI is having a rally on Labor Day weekend when we are passing through. Would we be welcome at a regional rally? We are not yet WBCCI members but plan to join the Cape Cod chapter the second the second the ink is dry on the paperwork.

We are very excited and can hardly wait for next week. Does anyone have any advice as to 'must bring with you' stuff when we head out to Michigan for the pick up of the AS and our first trip? I have been pouring over the forums getting lots of great advice, I look forward to chatting with you further. This is such a great site.

Mary and Mark
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:53 AM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I'm sure you'll be welcomed at the rally. Just call ahead to make sure there's room...probably not a big problem.

check out the NE unit, too. fun group. http://www.wbcci1.org/ne
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:57 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The WBCCI folks will welcome you with open arms and sign you up on the spot, I'm sure. Just tell the folks that meet you that you are new owners and want to join.

Be aware that I-80 has some really rough stretches and, when I went through there in June, had a lot of single-lane, no-pass stretches where they are ripping out the entire road and redoing it. That route has really deteriorated over the years, with a lot of stretches where each joint will rattle your rig.

350 miles, given a reasonably early start, is not a bad day at all, especially on interstates. I have pulled my Classic 25 588 miles in a day solo, but then, I have towed for many years.

There was a long thread sometime back on what to take with you. Lots of good advice there. Do a few searches of the forum and you should be able to find it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
No problem, they will welcome you with open arms. Just call the park a few hours before your arrival, and they will have a site for you. We spent last Labor Day at Pennwood Airstream Park with a few of the forums members here. It was a blast, we had a mini rally, sort of seperate from the WBCCI rally. That area of Pennsylvania is very scenic and there is lots to do there. You MUST stop there for the weekend, you won't regret it. It is about 45 minutes East of I79.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:53 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Trip East

Mary & Mark

Interstate 80 is very easy driving. You should have no problem with 350 miles on your first tow. The traffic is always heavy in Ohio but much of the state is now 3 lanes wide in each direction. Get you gas at the last service areas in Ohio, I know there is a big Flying J close to the PA line.

There is a real pretty Airstream only park in Western PA. If you join the WBCCI you should contact them. They are always helpful and friendly to fellow airstreamers.

Keep a close watch of the tire pressure. On an unfamiliar trailer, you don’t know the age or miles on the tires.

I assume you will be taking I 81 through Willkes Barre and Scranton. That area of the road is new and in good shape. When we came through there in the end of July there was some construction on I 84. The New York sections of I 84 are getting rather rough. I think we broke a china bowel from the road bouncing in that area.

As for the distance, it should be no problem. As a matter of fact, the first time we used our as, we drove 1200 miles non stop to Florida. The first night we slept in our new trailer, we were in Daytona Beach, Florida.

We also have a Hensley, after you get learn to hitch and un hitch, you will love the unit. The prior owners should have the trailer well enough stocked with the essentials such as a fresh water hose and the stinky slinky.

Good luck and happy Airstreaming.

Mark
Old 08-24-2004, 09:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M CAPECOD
Hello,
Mark and I are picking up our "new to us" 2002 28' Classic next week in Southern Michigan...... We then would like to travel on Rte. 80 through Ohio to Clarion Penn about 350 miles. Is this doable? are we pushing ourselves on our first day?....
Mary and Mark - Welcome to the Forum!!

Daily travel time was one of the things that pushed us into an Airstream.

We also used to do whirlwind trips with a driving marathon at each end.

By mutual decision we have instituted the "eight hour rule" -
If we're not where we want to be after eight hours, we finish the trek the next day. It's worked great so far. 350 miles should work out just fine. Take your time and enjoy the ride. Your tow will "talk to you" and let you know its most comfortable speed. Usually it's 60 to 63 mph. By setting the cruise on the "sweet spot" (60 to 63mph) you can usually average 50 to 55 mph when stops are factored in.

Definitely don't push too much until you are thoroughly familiar with the tow setup - remember - it's supposed to be enjoyable.

Happy Airstreaming!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
"check out the NE unit"

Thanks Chuck,
I spent some time on the site and the CCod link, it looks like a great group of people. A quick question for you. I think I read in one of the forums that someone was going to be requesting a specific WBCCI # when they put in their app, is that possible?
thanks again,
Mary
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:48 PM   #8
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M CAPECOD
"check out the NE unit"

Thanks Chuck,
I spent some time on the site and the CCod link, it looks like a great group of people. A quick question for you. I think I read in one of the forums that someone was going to be requesting a specific WBCCI # when they put in their app, is that possible?
thanks again,
Mary
yes, give them a call at wbcci, and ask. as far as I know, if the number you want is available, you can have it.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Mary, our PO gave us permission to keep their numbers (the ones already on the AS) since they were leaving AS for an SOB (imagine that!). We were delighted. We had no numbers to remove or put on, and WBCCI made the change very quickly for us. Best wishes with your new treasure Perhaps you can make a similar switch from the PO's registration to yours.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote