Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This place is going to have to be a destination! Looks like a lot of fun.

Our only other RV was a 77 Barth, purchased in 2001 with 40,000 original miles.

We had a great time in it, and it was wonderful for long weekends with a passle of grandkids.

We got a lot of condescending looks, some very close ones from law enforcement (those rolling meth labs, you know), but also lots of friendly inquiries and admiration for the condition of the interior.

Be yourself, do your thing, put on a big smile and enjoy your life. If some people or places snub you, avoid them.

Life is short. Do as much as you can for as long as you can.

Maggie
Old 05-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Is there a master directory that lists such "Airstream" parks?
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:25 AM   #23
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
I meant only that the camping sites are for Airstream owners only, no other types of campers or RVs allowed. I enjoy meeting other campers with different kinds of rigs other than the brand name I happen to now own, and enjoy camp sites where the welcome mat is out for all. I don't really see how exclusivity of Trailer Brand adds anything enriching to the camping/RVing experience, but then I've never been a club enthusiast. See you out in the boondocks...
I'm with you. Not much for the 'us and them' mentality approach to life in general.

But then, we're very much a minority where we live these days. Changes one's perspective.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
1962 22' Flying Cloud
1964 24' Tradewind
Murray , Utah
Ive dreamed of running a similar kind of resort. So, its intriguing to me. I live in SLC, Utah. Ive finally replaced my totaled 69 Safari with a 62 GT.. Ive been trying and hoping to have it ready for this weekend.. but, its not. But, the 66 Datsun Roadster seems to want it! So, Im going to head south on 89 tomorrow and on to hwy 12.. My favorite hwy in the state.. I will roll into the park in the afternoon.. With my travel companion, my Airedale Terrier. Not sure where Im going to stay tomorrow, (im prepared to tent it) but if anyone sees me rolling thru and wants to have a beer or meal.. speak up! Going solo, so it would be nice to make some new friends and hopefully check out some old Airstreams! Enjoy southern Utah!
Jason
streamahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #25
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Stopped to check out the Shooting Star last weekend as we were on our way to Capitol Reef. The owner was not there but one of the employees showed us around. He has bought up several older AS from 25' to 34' and fixed them up each with a movie/star theme. Built a drive-in style movie screen with old convertible cars to use as theater seating. Even a converted AS for a concession stand. There are RV spaces for Airstreams in a separate area.

He has taken on quite a project and don't know if all the finishing touches will be done by this weekend, but I plan to make it a base camp for some hiking in the area in the future.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Please take lots of pictures, and on your hike too!! And have fun.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #27
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Here's some pics of the rental trailers, interior shots are John Waynes "The Duke". Shot of some of the rentals with drive-in theater in the background and some of the convertibles to be used for theater seating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theduke-BR_0009.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	129279   Click image for larger version

Name:	theduke-kitch_0010.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	129280  

Click image for larger version

Name:	drive-in_0023.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	129281   Click image for larger version

Name:	drive-incars_0025.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	129282  

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Charlie,

I believe the combination drive-in and motel near Monte Vista, Colorado, is still open. You can watch movies from your room. Never been there except to drive past.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks for posting pictures mojo. I wish I was there! It looks pretty neat and like a nice area to sit on the deck and listen. I wonder what movies are scheduled.

photography
Old 05-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #30
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
"The Long, Long Trailer" will play perpetually.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #31
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
waaaaahhhhhhh

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Charlie,

I believe the combination drive-in and motel near Monte Vista, Colorado, is still open. You can watch movies from your room. Never been there except to drive past.

Gene
Thanks for the info Gene. It's not an area I get to very often, even Buena Vista was a bit too far just to see a movie. If we're ever camping in the area we may give it a try one night.
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
"The Long, Long Trailer" will play perpetually.

Gene

I could put up with that for a few nights.
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #34
JGB
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
I visited the shooting Star while passing through the area last week on my way to Bryce. The owner was not there but an employee let us look around. The rentals looked ok, and the drive in with vintage cars is an interesting idea. I was there on Memorial Day weekend and the place was empty with the exception of one of the rental trailers. The RV park section looked as if it was never used. The sites are steep, unpaved, and the vegetation (not really grass) was overgrown, and very dried out. I'm not sure if this place will ever become a going concern, but until that time I would opt for one of the great State or Federal campgrounds in the area
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
This is disappointing to hear. We had planned on maybe getting up there in later August or early September. I have yet to be able to get through to them via their website.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up

I am disappointed to hear that too. The premise has such promise. Perhaps they are only delayed with the economic downturn. Perhaps the owners need to sponsor a sort of Airstream paint and pizza party rally to whip the place into shape giving volunteers food and site for their volunteer hours. Some advertising wouldn't be a bad idea either. Maybe a visit from a few musical groups like the Troubs or 50s like crooners would be a nice marketing asset. They may need to plan a special event to really kick off their season royally.

photography
Old 06-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #37
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
The owner Mark just posted an ad on workkamper new for work campers, I read it today after recouping from the central TX rally over the week end, I e mailed him for more info on his park sorry to hear it is not so good yet he has a great idea maybe the wrong location ? time will tell
Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I wish I was closer that is an ideal pursuit for a vaction and enthusiast. Thanks for posting that. Would you happen to have a link and the ad available to share on Air Forums?

photography
Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Boston , Massachusetts
We are leaving the Shooting Star Airstream Park this morning after a 4 day stay. It is really cool!
The owner, Mark Gudenas, is in the process of renovating several older Airstreams for rentals. A number are completed and available at this point--decorated as though they were used by, say, John Wayne while filming the Searchers (The Duke) or Lauren Bacall while shooting The Big Sleep (Mrs. Rutledge's Room). The website is Shooting Star Drive-In || Airstream Resort.
The Airstream Park section has 18 sites with full hook-up in a beautiful open field on the other side of the office from the rentals and the drive-in. We were the only people camping and there was one party renting The Duke. But we highly recommend it for any Airstreamers who want to be situated perfectly to hike Zion, Bryce, Escalante National Monument and Capitol Reef. in the near future there will be a wash & fold laundry and there is already a shower/bathroom. No internet yet, but we got by with our Verizon device.
And then there is the drive-in! What could be more fun after a mindblowingly beautiful hike to a 126 foot high waterfall (Lower Calf Creek Trail) then a shower, something on the grill, and a classic movie at a drive-in seen from the seats of an old Rambler? Mark is a film buff and has an incredible library and knowledge of old films. We saw Charade with Carey Grant and Audrey Hepburn one night and the Big Sleep with Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart another (preceded by Flash Gordon and Betty Boop). We sat in 60's vintage convertibles, wired for sound and heat. Another classic Airstream has been retrofitted as a Concession-stream offering hot, buttered popcorn, candy and ice cream.
The sites are all drive-through on packed gravel. The field slopes some, but our site (#9) is level and perfectly fine. The views in every direction are great. Nothing but the Dixie National Forest as far as the eye can see.
Call 435 826 4440 or 415 450 8247 to reach Shooting Star.
And if you are tired of cooking, Escalante has a restaurant that served really good grilled trout--Cowboy Blues-- and a short drive will take you to two outstanding seasonal places in Boulder--The Burr Trail Grill and Hell's Backbone Grill.
We've been on the road since mid-February in our 2004 International CCD and we will return next year.
Rich & Christina
dryflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Boston , Massachusetts
Carol,
I think movies are by request at this point, but I don't think ha has any new ones.
Rich
dryflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote