Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Don't Buy Honda Generators!

Howdy,

I've been on a 2+ month ordeal with a brand new Honda EU2200i generator that had a safety recall the day after I bought it and my unit was not included till the following weeks. Leaks fuel, catches on fire no big deal...

Honda never contacted me (I registered online) and I found out on my own.

Trying to get warranty impossible. Dropped off for 2 weeks once and no parts available. Called Honda and they said back ordered they have no parts. Explained situation (full time RV'er never in same spot more than 2 weeks) could they sell me the parts when available? NO!

Did the rounds again today an no shops within 100 miles can service it. Called Honda and they found one who supposedly had parts and gets parts weekly! Cool! I call. Service manager not even working today. Guy that spoke with Honda says he told them he has a list of 40 people but no clue what that list IS? Looks like 3 parts kits and no clue if and how many on order.

C'mon Honda! Your going to make up a story and then have me call them and find out the truth?! Please!

Honda used to be the best and I bought on reputation but they have obviously cut drastic corners. Meanwhile the industry is catching up with them and providing better cheaper units.

Learn from my mistake of buying based on reputation and do your research so you don't end up hitting the road with an unusable unfixable generator and a wallet $1100 lighter...

Rounder44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:12 PM   #2
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Where did you buy it? Take it back for a refund. If bought with Amex card, dispute the charge with Amex after returning it to place of purchase saying you were sold a known defective product, if the recall came out before you purchased.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Where did you buy it? Take it back for a refund. If bought with Amex card, dispute the charge with Amex after returning it to place of purchase saying you were sold a known defective product, if the recall came out before you purchased.
Recall came out the day or next day... I saw the sign the next morning..

BUT I should contact my credit card company!

Thanks,

R44
Old 04-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
Howdy,

I've been on a 2+ month ordeal with a brand new Honda EU2200i generator that had a safety recall the day after I bought it and my unit was not included till the following weeks. Leaks fuel, catches on fire no big deal...

Honda never contacted me (I registered online) and I found out on my own.

Trying to get warranty impossible. Dropped off for 2 weeks once and no parts available. Called Honda and they said back ordered they have no parts. Explained situation (full time RV'er never in same spot more than 2 weeks) could they sell me the parts when available? NO!

Did the rounds again today an no shops within 100 miles can service it. Called Honda and they found one who supposedly had parts and gets parts weekly! Cool! I call. Service manager not even working today. Guy that spoke with Honda says he told them he has a list of 40 people but no clue what that list IS? Looks like 3 parts kits and no clue if and how many on order.

C'mon Honda! Your going to make up a story and then have me call them and find out the truth?! Please!

Honda used to be the best and I bought on reputation but they have obviously cut drastic corners. Meanwhile the industry is catching up with them and providing better cheaper units.

Learn from my mistake of buying based on reputation and do your research so you don't end up hitting the road with an unusable unfixable generator and a wallet $1100 lighter...

Rounder44
Genconnex will convert to propane...no gas problems again!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Did the recall say not to use it?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Not only Honda, Ford had GOVT. mandated safety recall no parts no time line when be fixed. Called Ford cust. serv. asked why no parts hung. After 15 mos. fixed only. Big companys more int. in profits than customer. Manf. have parts for production but none for recalls.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
... Called Ford cust. serv. asked why no parts hung. After 15 mos. fixed only. Big companys more int. in profits than customer. Manf. have parts for production but none for recalls.
???

English?
Old 04-29-2019, 03:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
???

English?
No, Yoda.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
???

English?
No, Yoda (or Yodish maybe?).
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Rounder 44 you sure have your problems.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
Did the recall say not to use it?
Yep!

Don't use....

R44
Old 04-29-2019, 03:26 PM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Robert@Honda may be able to help. He posted in the thread below on the spark plug cap issue.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ps-172577.html

Good luck with the resolution. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Yucaipa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
Not just him!

Me too! I think 200,000 units effected and Honda is supplying repair kits 2 or 3 at a time.

There's wait lists at most places that can even get them.

I've never got a chance to use mine! Dropped off several times only to come back a week later and told no parts...

So far I don't know of any repaired....And here comes summer!

No more honda for this family!

Wally
Walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
It's more frustrating to have corporations kick responsibility down the road and refuse to accommodate based on their arcane policies.

Good news! My CC company reversed the charges! We'll see what the seller has to say as they get to challenge but monies to be in my account in 7 days one way or another.

Then MY policy kicks in!

Thanks for the suggestion!

R44
Old 04-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
I guess I’m lucky. I’m in the K. C. area and when I called Honda they gave me the name of a shop near me that had the parts in stock for the recall. Dropped them off and picked them up last week. The tech told me he had done 10 of them.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Recalls are never convenient for companies or consumers and unfortunately are usually issued well before fixes or parts are available. Every recall is like this, if the dealer or the shop was good then they would be upfront and let you know parts aren’t available. Happened 3 times with my BMW — all 3 times, dealer said parts are not available and try back in a month.

It’s just how the cookie crumbles... enjoy life, it’s too short to be worrying about this stuff constantly or to try and slander a company on your experience. At least they recalled and didn’t just turn the other way and ignore the issue!

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Robert@Honda may be able to help. He posted in the thread below on the spark plug cap issue.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ps-172577.html

Good luck with the resolution. Pat
I received a note from Robert@Honda a few weeks ago. He has been out of work for a few months on temporary disability. He has been reassigned and is no longer monitoring social media sites.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:06 PM   #18
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
AW - thanks for the update. Too bad. He did help. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:28 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Recalls are never convenient for companies or consumers and unfortunately are usually issued well before fixes or parts are available. Every recall is like this, if the dealer or the shop was good then they would be upfront and let you know parts aren’t available. Happened 3 times with my BMW — all 3 times, dealer said parts are not available and try back in a month.

It’s just how the cookie crumbles... enjoy life, it’s too short to be worrying about this stuff constantly or to try and slander a company on your experience. At least they recalled and didn’t just turn the other way and ignore the issue!
Hmm..

So you're accusing me of lying... or you don't know the meaning of the term slander....

Either way. Welcome to 2019 where as consumers we have the option of going public with our experiences both positive and negative after exhausting conventional means of resolving problems.

I think I outlined my experience well enough but could add more to it.

At any rate it's been resolved as when I informed my CC company it was sold to me the day of "stop sale" notice and never used and I did my due diligence to resolve by conventional means.

This is a PSA so others don't get tangled up as well.

Thanks for your input!

R44
Old 04-29-2019, 10:25 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
I was all set to buy one of those and basically the day I went to buy the recall was just happening. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote