Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #121
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
With one exception, we have enjoyed all the KOA campgrounds we have visited in the past 4 years. (Sorry Calhoun, GA, you didn't make the grade!) I've enjoyed reading all the posts about the KOA experience. So I decided to go with the suggestions to use the "Review" section to state our experiences. However,..... I'm confused. How do you even post a new "thread" to that section??? Or have I had too much chablis?? We are currently at the KOA in Oakland, WI which is very nice. We just left the KOA in Maple Grove, MN which is super!!! As I said, the only one we really had a terrible time at was the one in Calhoun, Ga where our two "furkids" Brandi and Ki didn't even want to go outside our Airstream!! We were in the "wrong" area of the park evidently!!

So can someone help me out on how to post to the Review section?? Or should we just continue the very interesting thread we're on???

Edee ^_^
Phil/Edee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #122
Certifiable

. , .
I will NOT recommend the West Chester/Philadelphia KOA to any of my friends. We stayed there this past weekend and were very disappointed. We have stayed at others and had pleasant enough experiences to not write off the entire chain just yet.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

KOA Moss Landing

Recently returned from a relaxing week at Sea Cliff in Aptos Ca., we usually spend the night at Moss Landing however this time we said no-way. They had just become a KOA franchise and the rates went from 45.00 per night to 80.00 per night. This campground does not warrant what they are asking. Maybe its just a California thing, they have lost my business, never again.
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #124
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
So far not so bad with KOA.
The one I didn't want to stay was western Toronto right on hw 401 one of the busiest in Canada. And I had drove almost 12 hours so it was too much to handle the noise. But the camp was well maintained.
The one I went a week ago in Thunder Bay - Ont. was nice.
At least with KOA you know what you pay for. I like to have internet and full service. For 35$ tax. inc. that good enough to me.
I had much more bad experience in campgrounds that charge you high price for poor service. No sewer, no internet or internet at site but sometime the site has to be the office...
In Calgary the campground close to the Olympic park is really expensive more than 40$ with pull thru side to side and if you have a slide out forget it there is no room. Not level and military rules. Internet at site but as I said it must be the office site.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:15 PM   #125
Hawkeyes & Harleys

2006 16' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
On a recent 6 Week trip to New England by way of MI, VT, NH, ME, CT, NC etc. we stayed at many KOAs. Found most to be good with better than average clean facilities. KOA and Good Sam parks were for the most part better than those non-rated RV parks. Private Resorts were very good but very expensive.
HOG-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #126
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
On the trip to the Balloon Fiesta many of us stayed at the KOA in Grants, NM. The park was very nice and the service provided by the staff was the best I have ever seen. When you check in they give you a menu of dinner items (and free cookies). When you order one of the home cooked meals, they deliver it to your trailer. When I am in that area, they will be my first choise of a place to stay.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:17 AM   #127
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We have found the most campgrounds, KOA or otherwise, require a credit card over the phone when you make a reservation,
I can understand that. Before we started requiring a CC number for reservations, we had nearly a 50% no-show rate on reservations. Folks would just forget to cancel. Once we started asking for a CC number, the collective memories of reserving guests improved dramatically: Our no-show rate is way less than 1% now.

Lynn
Old 10-16-2007, 08:22 AM   #128
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Hi,

I also stayed at the Grants NM KOA last month and agree it was nice and the folks there very friendly... I even got extra cookies because I checked in sort of late and they were getting ready to close the office... :-)

On a separate note, one thing that I have noticed at the 20 or more KOA's I stayed at last month was if I listed my trailer as a "19 foot travel trailer" (which it is) that when I checked in I was invariably assigned to a "short" site down with the pop-up campers and the tent campers... Yes, I can fit onto a pop-up site it but it barely fits. I think many places have a break-off point for sites for rigs 20 feet or less...

So, right or wrong, what I started doing, and will continue to do, is when I make my KOA reservation I always list my unit as "30 foot travel trailer" and then when I check in I get a decent site with a little more room (same price). I realize the campgrounds are trying to save the longer sites for the people with the bigger rigs, but......

At any rate, it has worked and nobody has ever noticed or mentioned that my 30-footer looks a little short... I guess if they ever do I will just play dumb (not too hard for me) and say I measured the truck along with it...

regards, Dave.
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:49 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
We stayed at Kingman AZ KOA on way home from ABQ, and it was challenge to find (Way off I-40) but quiet and well equipped.. Tried to get reservation at Gallup NM KOA on Thursday before ABQ Balloon rally, and rude clerk hung up phone on us rather than take reservation, believing he'd sell out from drive-ins before we got there..
For those put off by Moss Landing at $80 (before KOA discount?) the only other spot near Monterey is Marina Dunes, and they sell out at $75/night for full hookup site, so it is a Monterey Bay thing... Coastalviwe may have secret alternate in Monterey (or Laguna Seca County park is nice..) but ocean views in CA are not going to be very cheap...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #130
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I've stayed at 2 KOA campgrounds; Willits CA. and Chula Vista CA.

The Willits campground caters to families with kids and it works very well. Lots of activites, petting zoo, ice cream, karakoke. Attractive grounds but a little dusty.

The Chula Vista (San Diego Metro) was a very attractive urban campground. Mostly paved. The landscaping appears to be a labor of love, lots of flowers and seasonal displays. Mature trees and green grass. Very mild coastal climate. Some freeway noise at night.

While only a fraction of my camping is at KOA campgrounds, the two I camped at were decent.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:25 PM   #131
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
We stayed at Kingman AZ KOA on way home from ABQ, and it was challenge to find (Way off I-40) but quiet and well equipped.. Tried to get reservation at Gallup NM KOA on Thursday before ABQ Balloon rally, and rude clerk hung up phone on us rather than take reservation, believing he'd sell out from drive-ins before we got there..
For those put off by Moss Landing at $80 (before KOA discount?) the only other spot near Monterey is Marina Dunes, and they sell out at $75/night for full hookup site, so it is a Monterey Bay thing... Coastalviwe may have secret alternate in Monterey (or Laguna Seca County park is nice..) but ocean views in CA are not going to be very cheap...
For you folks who do not know about the "Monterey Bay thing" I second it. I lived in Carmel (next to Peable Beach Golf and Country Club). Eveything there is real spendy. But it is a great place to visit...just bring cash....lots of it. Seventeen mile drive and the Hogsbreath Inn....nothing like the evening in Carmel. BRING MONEY. They love Airstreams down there tho.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:43 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
The Watsonville KOA on San Andreas Rd. is not really bad at all, and about a 40" easy drive from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It's also very close to beautiful beaches, including Sunset State Park and Manresa, with literally miles of sand. Good access to Big Sur, Carmel, and Monterey, as well as Santa Cruz attractions.
Just saying.
J
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:01 AM   #133
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
We like to stay in state parks, but during our last trip out, we stayed at two KOA's, one night in each. Wytheville VA wasn't bad at all, we were placed higher up on the hill away from the masses, so it was quiet and we had a measure of privacy. The facilities there are very clean and well maintained. Hagerstown MD on the other hand, was a zoo, very crowded. We couldn't even open the window on the road side of our trailer because the fire ring of the site next to us was right underneath the window, about 4 feet away! That's a bit too close for comfort (especially with a smokey fire going). I guess it's a case of "any port in a storm", and it beats the Wal-Mart parking lot.

The best KOA we've ever seen was outside of Dayton OH. Beautiful setting, lots of space, clean and quiet.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:29 AM   #134
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler
The best KOA we've ever seen was outside of Dayton OH. Beautiful setting, lots of space, clean and quiet.
We've been to the Dayton KOA and it is really a great campground!! It was packed when we were there because of some agriculture group shindig but we still had plenty of room. Our site backed up to a neat little creek.

Right now we're at the Indianapolis East KOA and it's another really great spot. The owners are super and the lots are huge. Nice woodsy country setting and all the amenities you could want. Distant freeway noise but not bad. Also has a small river....

We had reserved a w/e site for our two nights but when we got here it was raining kind of hard so he changed us to a w/e/s "super" site at no extra charge. Great place!

Phil & Edee
Old 10-23-2007, 09:43 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
HUMMMM that's nice to hear that our local KOA is a nice place.We might have to disappear from the area and camp a weekend in plain site. LOL! Go outa town and not leave town Hummmm thats a neat Idea. Thanks
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:12 PM   #136
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surman1322
KOA has a business practice that I find offensive. When you make a reservation, you are required to give them a credit card number. They charge your credit card before you can get off the phone. Most RV parks don't charge you until the date of your reservation. With KOA, if your plans change and you have to cancel, you have a heck of a time getting a credit to your account. So, I never use a KOA unless there is no private park nearby.
I've stayed at KOA's and many other campgrounds too and have found that most campgrounds will charge your credit card for at least one night to hold the reservation. I had to cancel my reservations at one KOA and received a prompt refund of my money in my next VISA statement.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:53 PM   #137
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
truth according to flizwhopper

we have had a uniformly good experience with KOAs. We don't use them as destinations. We tend to stay at the state/national parks, so the KOAs are intermediate stops. The nice part is they usually have full hookups and give us a chance to put the twink in order. Donna likes to get some laundry done. The trick, is to check in with the folks here to see if there are any reviews. The forum is extremely valuable in that regard. We have not had a question about a particular campground or park that someone here hasn't been able to give some valuable advice on.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
I had to dig to find this thread...

... I knew it had been a topic of conversation a while back!

We stayed at the Jonetown, PA KOA during our trip to Muzikfest. OK, not the closest CG to Bethlehem, but we also wanted to see my sister in York, so it was a good compromise.

As for the CG - very clean, nice facilities, well laid out, very friendly staff. Cost was reasonable ($39 per night for a back-in, 30A, water & sewer site) and we saved an additional 10% with our KOA Value Card.

We arrived on a Thursday afternoon and was third in line for registration. There were a lot of Canadian RV'ers making the trek back North and the CG filled up pretty good Thursday night. Friday morning, there was a long line of 5th wheels and Class A's headed on out. Repeat the process Friday evening, though there were a few that stayed the weekend. We departed Monday at about noon and headed for home.

There is a very good grocery store about a mile down the road in Jonestown, the closest big town is Lebanon (about 10 miles or so) with usual shopping centers & box stores. Easy access to I-78 (exit 8), I-81, and US-22.

Not exactly a "destination" CG, but if you need to be in the area or a place to stop for the night, this one is a good choice. I'll be going back later this year for a business trip scheduled at Fort Indiantown Gap (about 9 miles away).

Oh yes... I almost forgot... If you're in the area, do plan on stopping at Cabela's! They are at exit 29 off I-78. Even if you don't NEED anything, it's worth the trip to see the displays!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #139
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
One of my favorite places to park the airstream is a KOA... Prizer Point in Cadiz, KY. It is one of the best campgrounds in the country... In fact, I'll be up there on Sunday!

This spring /summer we stayed at several KOAs (been part-time full-timing for 100+ days). Each one has their own "flavor" and some facilities are nicer than others. The staff at all of them were so friendly (Prizer Point, Manchester TN, Milton FL, Lillian AL). Facilities ranged from good to excellent. It all just depends on the location and owners.

I check out campground reviews... I throw out the best and the worst and then rate from there...Everyone can have a really good or bad day. Consistency is the key.

Hope this helps.
/Lois
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:10 PM   #140
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We like KOA, they're not the cheapest, but the facilities are the best. We'll stay at KOA
when it's power/ shower/laundry/wi-fi time. The KOA in Flagstaff, Arizona is great!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote