Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Disillusioned with AS Help with Drawers

On the road, arrive at Clinton Lake State Park near Lawrence KS to overnight. Go into trailer to find galley draw dumped on floor. See photos. This is 2020 Bambi 20’. Really questioning AS workmanship and their QC. Really expected more. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to engage the latch. The teeth on the grey part that is part of the orange is supposed to catch inside the metal along the white plastci part. But I cannot get the track to go far enough in the make it latch. And that gray plastic thumb piece near the corner pushes forward and back and has some sort of ramp on it that is going up under the white plastic. Anybody have a step by step so I will not have to take drawers out and place on the floor when I head out tomorrow?
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Didn’t see the pix. Try again.

We had a 2017 23D which had a slide out “pantry” that would open up while on the road. Other drawers were unaffected. I installed a slide bolt lock on the pantry.

Not recommending you do this to all your drawers, but there might be a ready fix.

Don’t get discouraged. Every trailer has a bug or two that need working out.

Jim
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:42 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Didn’t see the pix. Try again.

We had a 2017 23D which had a slide out “pantry” that would open up while on the road. Other drawers were unaffected. I installed a slide bolt lock on the pantry.

Not recommending you do this to all your drawers, but there might be a ready fix.

Don’t get discouraged. Every trailer has a bug or two that need working out.

Jim
Finally figured it out, and I will say sloppy work on AS part. And the Blum site for the latches mostly instructed on installation and when it came to setting draw in place it basically said, pull runner tracks out, put draw down and close and the tracks will lock in place. I had one on one side do it, but not the other. And same for another. And on another neiither would. I tried slamming real hard (hope other camp sites did not think a bobcat had gotten into my trailer) and got one to lock on both sides. I started looking again from underneath, on my back. Why is the track stopping about 1/32” or 1/64” before it lets that dark plastic drop into the metal. I thought maybe the draws were built 1/64” too long. As it turns out the backs of the draws hace a notch cut out on both sides to fit down over the track. The back of the track then has a part that comes up and sits against the back of the drawer. On this part that comes up there is a forward facing prong that fits into a hole that has been dripped on each side of the back of the draw. The holes were not drilled deep enough to allow the prong to go all the way into the back wood of the drawer and with that the back of the track that comes up agaist the back of the drawer was just shy of being flush. But that 1/32” or 1/64” was just enough to not allow the track to move all the way forward and lock in place. Thank goodness I bought my battery powered drill and bits. I drilled the holes deeper and with that the tracks could move that “fingernails thickness” more toward the front of the drawer and lock into the latches. Another workmanship QC issue on the part of AS.
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Glad you have it figured out. I think AS has been pushing production numbers too hard and stuff like this gets by. Not just a recent phenomenon, however.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Mountain View , California
Drawer control

On our ‘14 FC the best way to control the drawers was an adjustable curtain rod through the drawer pulls vertical between the floor and the counter top. Works in the fridge as well.
JFRINALDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Glad you have it figured out. I think AS has been pushing production numbers too hard and stuff like this gets by. Not just a recent phenomenon, however.
Or sometimes it is a new worker We all learn...

And to be fair the factory did get the drawer to to fit. Was this fault the reason for the drawer to dump or was it simply too much for the slides to handle at full extension
We all have drawers dump from time to time

To be clear, we all do know AS needs to up their quality game
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:41 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Belmont , California
I just drove a screw through the side of the drawer into the plastic tab on the slide. It seems to keep the slide from disconnecting.
chugchug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRINALDI View Post
On our ‘14 FC the best way to control the drawers was an adjustable curtain rod through the drawer pulls vertical between the floor and the counter top. Works in the fridge as well.

I like this idea. With over 100K miles logged on the 2013 classic using bungee cords spider webbed through the cabinet and drawer handles to hold everything together, I eventual stopped worrying about it... Until now.
DonRich7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
None of my drawers open while being towed. 10,000 towed miles so far.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote