Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
For drinking we keep 4 square polycarbonate glasses from Target in the cupboard.
We rarely use them because our number one choice is the two 16oz Tervis Tumblers we carry with us.
My husband uses his "Bike" or classic Airstream being towed by a bike version and I use a flamingo or pink flower version.
We have coordinating sipper lids for each.
These are great because they are plastic, fit in our vehicle drink holders, double as coffee cups and they do not sweat with cold drinks.
We do not carry mugs or wine glasses as we do not consume alcoholic beverages.
We also carry a various number of sports bottle depending on what type of biking we plan to do. One shorty for CX races and 4 talls for centuries and long rides.
I keep a stack each of disposable drink cups and insulated cups w/ lids for company.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #22
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khulse View Post
Oh, another question. What cookware does everyone like for cooking on gas stoves? I like the colorful stuff from Rachael Ray but it can be expensive! And of course I need the minimal as I don't have a lot of storage!

Donna
With a 30' trailer galley space isn't at that much of a premium, and so if you like to cook, pick out pans that will work for you. Like many other posters I do have one Griswold cast iron pan in the trailer despite its size and weight. I have a cooking style built around it and am not comfortable in the kitchen without one. The balance of my cookware is some older Caphalon that was given to me. The Caphalon pieces are heavy-gauge aluminum. I've chosen a combination that nests well. The Caphalon handles work well for that.

The yacht guys all seem to use one of the several sets with detachable handles but I believe most of them have to work with a smaller galley than we do.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Pfaltzgraff for dinnerware. Micro safe. Lots of designs to choose from.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mmmmm, Pfaltzgraf. So pretty, but too bulky and heavy to suit our needs in the Interstate.

I am a dedicated lover and collector of fine coffee mugs, so we have to have a few of our favorites with us for morning coffee and tea whenever. Doug would drink out of anything, but not I. A nice mug is one of life's little pleasures, and a favorite indulgence. Morning coffee with a campfire........a little bit of heaven on earth.

Maggie
Old 02-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Mmmmm, Pfaltzgraf. So pretty, but too bulky and heavy to suit our needs in the Interstate.

I am a dedicated lover and collector of fine coffee mugs, so we have to have a few of our favorites with us for morning coffee and tea whenever. Doug would drink out of anything, but not I. A nice mug is one of life's little pleasures, and a favorite indulgence. Morning coffee with a campfire........a little bit of heaven on earth.

Maggie
I agree 100%. Coffee tastes better out of your favorite mug. Mine has a picture of the AS on it. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I got the nesting pots from Camping World - and only recently had the TA-DA moment to stack them facing down. Before I always struggled to pull the littlest one out of the stack to get to the next and the next. Upside down, you only need one piece of anti-slip matting and you easily pop off the outer one until you reach the size you want. I stow the handles on hooks inside the door of the cabinet where the pots are. These changes alone gave me room to store the cast iron skillet, corn muffin pan and dutch oven.

I also realize I almost never use my sink covers, thanks to another member's suggestion, I now I stow them UNDER the kitchen drawer on the floor. Once every three months or so I MIGHT have to pull them out and use them.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I got the nesting pots from Camping World - and only recently had the TA-DA moment to stack them facing down. Before I always struggled to pull the littlest one out of the stack to get to the next and the next. Upside down, you only need one piece of anti-slip matting and you easily pop off the outer one until you reach the size you want. I stow the handles on hooks inside the door of the cabinet where the pots are. These changes alone gave me room to store the cast iron skillet, corn muffin pan and dutch oven.

I also realize I almost never use my sink covers, thanks to another member's suggestion, I now I stow them UNDER the kitchen drawer on the floor. Once every three months or so I MIGHT have to pull them out and use them.
I agree the sink covers are a waste. Usually just use one to make room for the coffee pot. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
fort Lauderdale , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post

Maggie
I agree 100% also. Although Pfaltzgraf is pretty, it is bulky and heavy and I just got rid of a big set in favor of Corelle.

I too have to have my favorite coffee mug! I will make the space!!
Khulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
My daughter bought me a set of Grannyware (enamel plated metal) from a thrift store when she was 7. It's classic camp table ware, can go on the grill or campfire, and is the main reason we have never bought a microwave
tlsmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I just ordered a set of green enameled stainless dinnerware by CGI. It looks great from the photos. When it arrives, I'll let you know! Seemed like the best of all worlds.
Rae

via~ AIR Forums App.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

I love TA-A moments! Thanks for sharing.
Donna
Old 02-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxrae View Post
I just ordered a set of green enameled stainless dinnerware by CGI. It looks great from the photos. When it arrives, I'll let you know! Seemed like the best of all worlds.
Rae

via~ AIR Forums App.
What is CGI? I don't normally like stainless for dinnerware but with so many users it might just be worth looking into.

Donna
Old 02-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khulse

What is CGI? I don't normally like stainless for dinnerware but with so many users it might just be worth looking into.

Donna

Oops! Sorry!!

A dyslexic mistake... GSI!!!
The company that makes it.
GSI outdoors . com

They have blue, red and now a granny apple green. I've also spotted some enamelware that's like old spongeware. Rae

via~ AIR Forums App.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxrae View Post
Oops! Sorry!!

A dyslexic mistake... GSI!!!
The company that makes it.
GSI outdoors . com

They have blue, red and now a granny apple green. I've also spotted some enamelware that's like old spongeware. Rae

via~ AIR Forums App.
Hehehe, got it! Thanks, I will look it up.
Donna
Old 02-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Considering that this will be our "home", I just can't stomach eating off something other than glass long-term, so we're taking the chance and bringing along glass dishware (well-packed when we're on the move). We got a super cheap set at IKEA, so we won't be too devastated if we soon find out it's a naive decision. We're taking along four of the six bowls, plates and salad plates, and leaving the extras with friends, so we have back-ups.

For pots and pans, we're just taking along our favorites from home — a couple pots and a couple pans. The space-saving comes in the form of the lids. We got a couple accordian-collapsing silicon bowls (that can serve double duty as mixing bowls and storage containers. They have silicon lids that can withstand high heat, and because they create a suction, they'll fit any size pan.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I splurged on a set of nesting silicone bowls, which mix, store in the frig and microwave nicely.

Be careful with the collapsing bowls, I was given one and found they can collapse when you don't want them to. Hard to stir and mix something without putting any pressure on the sides.

Maggie
Old 02-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Oh, good to be aware of Maggie! I actually only got them because of the lids (I saw some standalone silicone lids at a fancy cooking store long ago, but they were discontinued and the only good options I could find came with these bowls.) The bowls seemed handy too— I've got a drawer-full over silicone items now (measuring cup, bowls, etc, etc) that would have taken up a cabinet's-worth of space at home with "standard" glass/metal items.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #38
tarheelbornbred

2010 28' International
1972 29' Ambassador
Hot Springs , North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to tarheel1972
I find the Correll to stack nice and tight, and it's durable. Paul Revere classic for pots and pans. The new versions of this coppered bottomed classic are thin-walled (to cut costs) but also makes them light weight. Lodge cast iron in various shapes and sizes. Polycarbonate tumblers and wine glasses.

A couple of Pyrex casseroles and bowls for the oven. And a couple of stainless steel mixing bowls bought at a restaurant supply. (cheaper and properly shaped)

Target has some nice "natural" utensils, steak knives, etc. with wood handles and I also have a couple bamboo salad bowls.

Along with the copper bottom pots, the wooden handles match the styling of my '72 very nicely.
2013 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
tarheel1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Corelle

We are settled in TX for a month after just picking up our new AS from Colonial. I finally broke down and bought Corelle Pro in "Harmony" print. Love it already!

Donna
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-03-29 12.05.49.jpg (96.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 03-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Just testing to see why pic didn't show?

Donna
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-03-29 12.05.49.jpg (96.6 KB, 51 views)