Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Diesel issue in Campground

We were winding up a nice Labor Day holiday weekend at the campground. Sitting outside, enjoying the cool air, drinking our coffee. A nearby diesel MH kicks on, we think to pull out. But, no, he continues to sit there. For almost 30 minutes while he does some final chores. The entire time we're listening to and breathing in this diesel. (Nothing against diesels - our tow vechicle is one.)

I just want to know - are there some diesel MH's that have to be warmed up for a while? This one was no more than a few years old. But, before I get all hot under the collar perhaps there was a reason?

Kelly
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
diesel MH kicks on, we think to pull out. But, no, he continues to sit there. For almost 30 minutes

I just want to know - are there some diesel MH's that have to be warmed up for a while? This one was no more than a few years old. But, before I get all hot under the collar perhaps there was a reason?

Kelly
Mine is gas and depending on distance to highway, it is possible to start it a few minutes ahead of pull out, and jumping it up to highway speed. My diesel boat takes about half hour of idle speed to bring it up to normal operating temp. Diesels do take longer to get to temp, but in close quarters of most campgrounds, there is always a place away from other to let it idle; the dump station, the front office but that takes thinking and consideration of neighbors and that does'nt come with the drivers manual.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
15 minutes is what the diesel guys say; that's too long, I fire up, wait for the temp gauge to start coming up and bail. Best to not put your foot into it right away.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The operating temperature in the cylinders is up to temperature in seconds not minutes. There is no reason to run the engine until the coolant water shows full deflection on the temperature gauge. That only indicates that the engine has started to overheat and requires additional cooling by opening the thermostat.

Most states have a 3 minute idle law. While this law was written to require trucks to shut down when unloading the intent would be the same in this case.

Now it is a fact that the clearance setting is slightly higher on Fire Trucks to allow instance higher speeds you don't see the fire company sitting around and having a coffee while the engine warms up.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I have a diesel TV but only start it, let it warm up for a couple minutes and basically idle out out of the campsite to be the least disruption to other campers. Some people are totally inconsiderate of others.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Inconsiderate

I think the answer is that the MH operator was simply inconsiderate. It is, after all, all about him. We try to run our diesel as little as possible in the morning when we're leaving a campsite.

We went to last fall's Rennaisance festival in Houston where they have boondock camping only. A few campsites away, some guy used his diesel pickup as a generator for his 5th wheel ALL NIGHT LONG! He had jumper cables running to his trailer battery.

But that's OK. He was drowned out by all the full-size (non-muffled) generators that were running at other campsites, and his diesel fumes were masked by the pall of smoke from hundreds of improperly built campfires overhanging the entire campground.

It took us months to get the smell(s) out of our Airstream.

Amateur campers are to Airstreamers as vacation flyers are to business flyers!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
I will add that MH to my list of things to do with a strong arm and a rotten tomato...lol
Old 09-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Engine heat up

The point is to get the engine to operating tempeerature as soon as possible (gas or diesel), so:
Start the engine.
Let it run for at least 1 minuet to make sure the oil is everywhere it needs to be.
Put it in gear and go.
If the engine stumbles it needs work, I'm sorry, it just isn't running right and needs to be looked at.
At idle the diesel has the highest compression it will ever have and conversly will experience the most wear. Why do you think truck manufacturers put the fast idle opeion on their over the road diesels?
To get them off idle.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
Why do you think truck manufacturers put the fast idle opeion on their over the road diesels?
Other than the spelling, you are correct.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Thumbs down wasting fuel

You did say "enjoying the cool air", so maybe some warm up time is reasonable (obviously wasn't running the engine for the AC). IMHO the best to way to warm up an engine is to use it. As in exiting the campground in a leisurely manner.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
"Joe Kenworth"

Hi, I call these people "Joe Kenworth" because they have been to truck stops or where-ever and seen/heard all the Diesel trucks running hours on end. Therefore, they think that they should run their Diesels all the time too. As noted Shipyards, state parks, and other public places have stated that these vehicles need to be shut off or be cited. Modern motor vehicles don't need long warm up times.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Some MH need time for the air suspension to reach full height or they may bottom out, 30 minutes still seems to be a bit long. My sob can take up to 10 minutes but I usually leave before that and just go slow and deliberate. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:11 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
I think Zip has it right. I've been told by a courteous Diesel Pusher (DP) neighbor that they will need to start their rig a few minutes before they leave to air up the air bags. In most cases, they move away from the campsite as soon as they can and hook up their tow vehicle elsewhere.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #14
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
The point is to get the engine to operating tempeerature as soon as possible (gas or diesel), so:

At idle the diesel has the highest compression it will ever have and conversly will experience the most wear. Why do you think truck manufacturers put the fast idle opeion on their over the road diesels?
To get them off idle.
Beginner
I will let my TV idle until the temp needle moves. Built into the computer is an idle up feature. If it sits for a period of time the idle will jump 250 or so RPM. Sitting there until it warms up completely is not friendly to your neighbors.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #15
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
why not politely ask him to shut down his rig before you have "problems" with your sewer solution. (it will spray your waste quite a ways- start with the grey water and then step it up to the black tank if needed)

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote