Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2004, 10:15 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Last summer we went through the Black Hiils to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Our favorite spots were -

Just west of Mt Rushmore is a small lake with a beautifull Forest Service campground - see Horsethief Lake

Grand Teton National Park and the town of Jackson are beautifull, with lots to do.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:10 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
I'm reviving this thread with a request. We have to wait for summer to get out on the road, so I've been reading campground books for the Colorado-Wyoming-Montana-Idaho areas. We enjoy camping and travel, mountains and rivers, and scenic drives. We usually like to establish camp for a week or so and day trip. Where do you like to go in these areas? Favorite regional destinations or campgrounds? What makes them your favorite? Maybe you'll give us some ideas for our summer destination this year. Thanks!
My wife and I spend the better part of the summer in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho. We also like to stay a week or 2 in a location, and then move on. For example, there are a ton of places to stay and things to see and do in the general area from Bozeman, MT down to Jackson Hole, WY (taking in Yellowstone and the Tetons) and west toward Idaho Falls, ID, and north toward Missoula, MT and Helena, MT. If you want to go farther north there's always Glacier National Park. Remember, this is a BIG country, so you can drive several hundred miles from place to place.

Personally, I like the smaller national forest campgrounds, but my wife likes the complete hookups provided at private campgrounds, so that's where we spend most of our time. Look for the smaller, privately owned campgrounds,
some of which are the best places you'll ever want to stay. (Since our favorite places are small, and generally fill up quickly in the summer, I won't list their names).

If you haven't been there before, you'll probably want to see the "big name" attractions and do the touristy things, however, you can find the real gems, in my opinion, by talking to the locals once you get there, and taking some of the secondary roads to the lesser known places.

John
Old 04-25-2004, 01:19 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Thanks, John and Dan. Because we also have been several times to these regions, we have done the "biggies." However, the area draws us back again and again, so we are looking for the secret or surprise locales that are not the most publicized. We have not been to Glacier so that might be an idea, especially if we could find a great campground to center our trip that is beautiful but away from the crowds. For example, last summer we spent over a week on the Boulder River just north of the Yellowstone "madness," staying in a small private campground called Spring Creek Trout Ranch and Campground, fly fishing up the Boulder in the high wilderness regions, and driving many delightful day trips. We never seem to run out of fun doing this kind of travel and camping, and this year we have our AS home to return to each day! So, suggestions about unique finds would be hugely appreciated
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 05:05 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Thanks, John and Dan. Because we also have been several times to these regions, we have done the "biggies." However, the area draws us back again and again, so we are looking for the secret or surprise locales that are not the most publicized. We have not been to Glacier so that might be an idea, especially if we could find a great campground to center our trip that is beautiful but away from the crowds. For example, last summer we spent over a week on the Boulder River just north of the Yellowstone "madness," staying in a small private campground called Spring Creek Trout Ranch and Campground, fly fishing up the Boulder in the high wilderness regions, and driving many delightful day trips. We never seem to run out of fun doing this kind of travel and camping, and this year we have our AS home to return to each day! So, suggestions about unique finds would be hugely appreciated
Missoula, MT might interest you - just one of many possibilities in that part of the world. Rock Creek is about 20 miles east, and similar to the Boulder, but more ruggedly prettier, if that's possible, and also with excellent fly fishing, and miles upon miles of road bordering the stream. (There's tons more great fly fishing nearby as well as great scenery, but that's not what you asked about!).

From Missoula, you could take day trips south along the Bitterroot toward Hamilton one day, or could take a day trip southwest toward Lolo Hot Springs, and on into Idaho on Rt 12 along the Lochsa River (great scenery, white water rafting, semi-wilderness) On another day you could go east to the abandoned mining town of Garnett, high in the mountains north of Interstate 90, or you could take a day trip northeast along the Blackfoot River. (If you're familiar with Robert Redford's movie "The Horse Whisperer" filmed in the Boulder River valley, then you're probably familiar with his movie
"A River Runs Through It" that was based on Norman McClean's book and its numerous references to the Big Blackfoot River.)

Missoula has the National Forest Fire Fighters headquarters, and well as Boone and Crockett's national headquarters, plus good shopping and a weekly sidewalk flea market. There will also be lots of Lewis and Clark related activities around there this year. Then there's the Alberton Gorge on the Clark Fork River a few miles west of town.

Helena, Mt isn't too far away, has a nice train tour through the old, gold mining parts of town as well as the state capital building, a great western art museum, and the Gates of the Mountain north of town (with its boat tour down the Missouri River into this wilderness area is a MUST if you're in the area)...did I mention the fly fishing???

If you're in the area, you could do a lot worse than Jim and Mary's Campground a mile or so North of IS 90, on Rt 93, just west of Missoula.

By the way, if all goes to plan my wife and I will be somewhere in that part of the world this summer in our 30' Classic Limited (I see you have the same model).

John
Old 04-26-2004, 08:24 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
where is everyone planning to go this year? i'm trying to convince my wife to head out west for a couple of weeks this summer.

she has expressed an intrest in touring the east coast, where she grew up.

i have not made any definate plans yet. just thought it would be fun to hear from the rest of you.

where ya gonna go this year, repeat trips or something new?

john

John,

A great place to take your wife on the east coast would be Acadia National Park, Maine. We went for the first time last year and what a sight! Pink granite everywhere, old carriage roads to bike on, canoeing, hiking,fishing, and a beautiful small town to hand out in (Bar Harbor). Canon Mountain is great to hike or drive up to see a spectacular view.

We are going back this year, last week in June, staying at the National Park campground ($20/night) and ($10/night for the senior group). There is free shuttle service every hour from the campgrounds throughout the island.

Anyone interested, please contact us and we'll give you the specifics.

Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:43 AM   #86
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
MaxandGeorgia - there are so many wonderful places to experience in Colorado (and the other great states you want to visit), if you can give me an idea of your route thru Colorado, I might have a few wonderful campsites. Keep in mind that it can get very busy around here in the summer, so sites might already be reserved. There are some really nice areas close to the Wyoming border, but might take you off main highways. Let me know.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 02:52 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Leigh, we have visited the Snowy Range in SE Wyoming, just north of Colorado and loved it. The altitude (10,000) was difficult Max with his breathing limitations, but we did love it-just found that we cannot sleep well or do much activity other than pass through. Sigh! We were reading up on the area around Silverton or Durango-haven't been in that part of the state. Suggestions for that? Or, what do you think are beautiful, out of the way or "less traveled" wonders? We just might try them out!
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 04-27-2004, 06:00 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
maxandgeorgia, you will have a great time in SW Colorado/NW New Mexico. . . so many possibilities for keeping you entertained, and great places to just sit back and enjoy the surroundings. The whole area of the San Juan Mtns is spectacular, busy in the summer, but worth the time and effort. I really like the narrow gauge rail trips [Durango-Silverton, and the Cumbres & Toltec from Antonito'Chama] and the photographic opportunities. Lots of fishing, hiking, sightseeing, good camping. Another area around Buena Vista/Gunnison/Leadville is great too. A lot of mining history in the whole region. Lots of great day trips. Sure worth your consideration.
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:09 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Bud, thanks for the recommendations. In your post, you mentioned several of the draws for us in the area. We will be pulling our 31' Airstream. We will need a central location to camp while we day trip out. I guess many FS campsites won't take a unit this long. We can fill with water and we have two batteries to keep us going dry for a few days. In your opinion and with your experience in the area, do we need to reserve (I am always spooky about reserving and then being disappointed with the site) to ensure a place to camp or will we be okay pulling to the area and finding one we like? Would you mind recommending a couple of your favorite (spectacular!) sites that would fit our trailer? Thanks again! I am thinking we might even drop in on the VAC Rally Open House while we are in Colorado if we head there during early August. It would be fun to see the vintage units and meet people from the Forum. We'll have to start working on our itinerary. It's a hard choice for us between discovering SE Colorado and returning to the Montana/Idaho areas!
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 04-28-2004, 10:25 AM   #90
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
We usually stayed at Hermosa Meadows CG, US550 north of Durango [Hermosa] on the Animus River. It wasn't so spectacular, but the people were great, and it was out of town, but in the middle of all sorts of possibilities. Can't find a listing now [it may have become the Durango KOA] so our experience may not be of much value now. The Alpen Rose CG is across the highway in the same area, but we have never stayed there. Reservations are best, at least to start with, and then we usually shopped around as we made day trips if somewhere else really struck a high note. . . Have also stayed at NF CG up near Silverton/Ouray. Truly, there are a lot of places to stay, but a lot of people come there. . . Bayfield/Chimney Rock/Pagosa Springs all come to mind to the east.

We're headed back to Cooke City,MT/Wyoming area NE of Yellowstone in June, and though we often think of Colorado, fewer people and smaller places win us over again. We hope you have a great time, whichever you choose to do. [The trip from Durango to Idaho/Montana is interesting too, if you aren't in any hurry!]
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:32 AM   #91
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
So much beauty,too little time!

MaxandGeorgia - OK, going to try to give you some ideas.
BuenaVista Area - This is where we store our "Mini", we have friends who live there. Just North of BV on Hwy81 toward Independence Pass into Aspen is a campground called "Whitestar" right on the TwinLakes Reservoir. If you go to My Gallery, you will see "Mini" at a campsite there at TwinLakes . It is quite beautiful. There are no hkups, but is a dumpsite. Will probibly be busy-they do take reservations (www.reserveusa.com). If you don't want to make reservations, try to get there mid-week. There are other campgrounds in the area, so you would probibly find a spot somewhere. The other campground that comes to mind is called Lakeview. Both take max 35' trailers.
4 Corners or Durango - Have not had the opportunity to camp around here altho have a place we would like to see called Pine Point(a forest service campground), which is south of Silverton area. Good for up to 35' trailers and on Vallecito Resevoir.
Steamboat Springs area - another place we want to see is Steamboat Lake State Park. This one has up to 50 hkups sites and is voted Park Rangers favorite destination. No limit on trailer length and they take reservations. And finally,
Poudre Canyon area This is west of Ft. Collins, North of Rky Mt State Park. Campground is called Chambers Lake. on Hwy. 14. Trailers recommended to 30' (you could probibly make it). Sites 1-20 are closer to Hwy.(not recommended), altho Hwy. not a major one. No dump for 20 mi. Beautiful tho.
See if any of those fit your needs. I might think of a couple more.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 12:58 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I live in Durango

Hermosa Meadows is now a new condo development - so don't plan to stay there - its too bad - it was my favorite campground in the area.

The next best is United Campground - right on the Dgo/Silverton RR tracks. Great location for Durango. Not crazy about Alpen Rose - kinda a big field off the highway - must do great advertising because everyone seems to know about it. My next or at least equal favorite is Lightner Creek Campground - in a valley on a nice creek - only problem is its pretty steep getting in, but should not be a problem. Both KOAs are nice too.

Any questions I can answer about this area, I would be glad to do.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:58 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Wonderful suggestions! I hope others on the Forum are reading these too. I plan to print off all the ideas and add them to my "vacations" files. We'll be checking these out on our maps and in the various campground books we have, looking for a few that seem to fit. I don't mean to dominate this conversation with my requests for the Mountain West. Surely with summer just around the corner, everyone must be looking for a super vacation location! We'll enjoy learning about other areas of the country too, so. . .ask away! I mean, you aren't going to polish those trailers all summer long, are you?
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 04-28-2004, 09:11 PM   #94
3 Rivet Member

There is a little campground we stay at in Pagosa Springs. It is about 13 miles south of town on highway 84. It's new and the owners are trying to establish a business. So the campground is not very busy. Only on holidays when the other long established campgrounds are full. www.lastresortrv.com. we will be staying there all summer, it is right on the Rio Blanco River. Close to all sorts of things to do and see, Chama which also has a narrow guage train. (goes to and from antonito). Not far from Santa Fe, Taos, and Abiquque (Georgia O'Keeffe's home)
And Pagosa just 60 miles east of Durango.
there is much to see and do in Southwest Colorado -- and of course you can just do nothing.

Tom & Betsy
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote