Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2003, 03:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
We did a trip up the appalachians from NC to PA, and then down the coast from DE to SC, it was great. Mountains and beaches on one trip. For this year we are talking about going up the middle of the country from here (atlanta) thru Chicagoland to Michigan and upper peninsula.Not sure, but it sounds good as I am the only onein my group to have been there. Might make Canada...

FYI- we were just at Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores,AL...it's very nice, 400+ sites, many bathrooms with hot showers, a camp store, a few lakes, nature museum, biking trails, and a short walk/ride to the beach and fishing pier. Great kid friendly park with a number of snow birds stayingfor the winter.
Highly recommend it. Also only 17 dollars a nite.( no sewer hook ups)
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 08:09 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
We're sticking close to home, since we are both still working.

We'll have 2 or 3 one week stays at our favorite beach in So. Cal., plus a few weekend rallies with the South Coast unit.

Also, we're looking forward to the Vintage Vacations weekend in May in Newport Beach.

When we're able to take longer trips I want to see the St. Louis arch and Frank Lloyd Wright's "Falling Water" house in Western PA. Then maybe the the Polar Bear caravan to Hudson Bay!

We can dream, can't we?
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 01:49 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Like Phil in Bellflower........

we are also sticking relatively close to home. I am still a working stiff, commuting to/from Washington, D.C. from south Georgia. My wife will have a little more flexibility as a schoolteacher with a couple of months off to re-charge her batteries. We have two weeks reserved in June at Fort Clinch State Park on Amelia Island, north of Jacksonville, Florida. The river side of the campground is our favorite, as opposed to the beach side which seems to invite the sweat bees and gnats. We also hope to spend a week in July at the WBCCI Airstream park in Helen, Georgia. Other than that, perhaps a weekend trip here or there, depending on where the fish are biting. We can't wait for the next outing, wherever it may be.
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 04:03 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

We will be attending the WBCCI National Rally in Burlington, Vermont in June. I expect to travel about 7000 miles in three weeks. I hope to have time to see some sights on the way to/from.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 05:29 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
Destinations Update!!!

Update! Update!! Update!!!

My wife just informed me she doesn't want to wait until we're retired to "see the sights". So we're planning a 3-4 week trip for early summer, 2004.

She's never been anywhere, so we're thinking Grand Canyon, Painter Desert, St. Loius arch, and Fallingwater (western PA.) and everything in between.

Anyone have any advice on trip-planning software for something like this? Or should I start with a trip to AAA to collect maps?

I'm excited!
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:00 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
destinations

Greetings Phil!

RE: Trip Planning Software

For more than seven years, I have relyed on Rand McNally Trip-Maker for planning my various adventures. I generally purchase the new updates when they become available. Purchased the most recent update at Barnes and Noble in Cape Girardeau, MO during the Christmas Holiday. It is easy to use, and since it is on my laptop, it is always handy when I take one of my "Wrong-Way Corrigan" mis-directions - - the later versions include city maps that are generally quite good in addtion to the nation-wide road systems.

I am just getting familiar with its coverage of Canada, but expect that it will be as good as that for the U.S.

The only down-side that I am aware of is that it seems to be available only for Windows platform computers. Depending upon where purchased, the software package with all supplements runs from $39.00 (an extra-special sale price that was only available to educators about two years ago) to $79.00.

AAA also published trip routing software at one time, but I haven't run across it recently in the stores near me. When I tried it, it worked well but it didn't convince me to switch from Rand McNally Trip-Maker.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:22 PM   #27
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Still Deciding...

Got out the three calenders and tried to schedule the whole year. Several extended weekend trips to the AZ White Mountains are in order with one including a trip to Cyclone Lake, a private lake on the indian reservation for rent that has rainbows, some Browns and most importantly native Apache trout. We've also been thinking of the Silver Trailer Social in northern CA in the spring or possibly the get together in Estes Park. A fall trip to the San Juan River in New Mexico is also in the plans. I didn't get much fishing in last year putting the 'Silver Slipper' back together so this year I'm making up for lost time.

Brad

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:52 PM   #28
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
fish

brad

ever fish the black hills in s.d.?

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 09:10 PM   #29
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I have fished in the Black Hills but only in Lake Pactola (sp) one summer when I was in my early teens. First time I'd ever seen a trout up close and personal. Been chasing them ever since.

How about you, John?

Brad

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:30 PM   #30
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
trout

one of the things i do truely enjoy, just don't have enough time.

being an avid motorcyclist i have found my self in the black hills many times. but, for me the fishing is better than anything else you can do in south dakota in august!

my personal favorite place is the spearfish canyon. wide, fast water and lots of fish. (by wisconsin standards) the locals are not shy about helping someone from out of town find plenty of good spots to fish. another good spot is iron lake, big rainbows!

back home in southern wisconsin we have many excellent trout streams. but it seems that if i don't get out of town on vacation i don't fish. always something to do.

as a kid i lived at a place that had(still has) a nice small stream. and a pond. once i caught a 23" rainbow in the pond, what a fight! the stream has nice browns and some brookies. it is mostly pasture or corn fields surrounding them, so access is easy.

john
Old 01-07-2003, 10:14 PM   #31
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Sounds like loads of fun. I really need to go back to S. Dakota and fish my heart out.

Brad

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:16 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
John HD.....assuming the HD stands for....

Harley Davidson, I assume you have done the July 4th run to Sturgis, S.D.? If so, did you take your trailer AND the bike? I remember a July 4th visit to the rodeo in nearby Belle Fourche a couple of years ago. I got a kick out of the rodeo grounds and stands. The contrast: half-filled with motorcycle-club leather and colors; half-filled with denim and boots. Either way, it was a great crowd of patriots and a tremendous and heart-warming way to spend the 4th. And, for the anyone who knows the area, it is one heck of a nice place to haul your Airstream (not that I had mine with me at the time).
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 06:56 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Lighthouses and such...

John HD,

As you probably know, Michigan has a ton of lighthouses to be seen, with State Parks close by (that have been redone with new facilities). Just be aware that Michigan State Parks allow you to make reservations 6 months in advance so some of the popular ones fill up. We plan on hitting Tawas Bay State Park for about a week. It has a lighthouse on the grounds.

We too want to eventually trek out west, hit Yellowstone , Tetons, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Moab, etc. If not this summer hopefully next.

Have you thought of doing the Durango and Silverton train? I hear it's awesome. We are railroad buffs too. We did Steamtown National Park in Scranton PA. a couple months ago. Kids loved it!
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 11:43 AM   #34
pezz

1982 34' Limited
mire poix , midi pyrenees
AIRSTREAM FRANCE

Waouh ! Your boat really sunk !
Well you're going to fly now in that airstream of yours.
No going down, only up from now on.
If you want to pass by on your way to St Tropez, please do. I think you've got all my details on my campsite. If not please ask. We're doing a rally as well, France/Spain 10 days in May.
It's nice to read what you all write, you seem a great bunch, I must get out to the USA one day and rally with you all, I'm sure there is a lot you can teach me.
Having Airstream overhere is a bit hard on the spares, I often have to find the equivalent. One problem is the size of the coper piping, you are 1/2inch USA which inbetween 2 centimeter sizes .
Tyres no problem, light bulbs can be and of course the ball hitch is much bigger than here, so you can't just move an Airstream with anything.
I'm going to have to change some pannels soon, has anyone ever done it ?
Bye for now
PERRY
Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 03:06 PM   #35
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Re: John HD.....assuming the HD stands for....

Quote:
Originally posted by joe hall
Harley Davidson, I assume you have done the July 4th run to Sturgis, S.D.? If so, did you take your trailer AND the bike? I remember a July 4th visit to the rodeo in nearby Belle Fourche a couple of years ago. I got a kick out of the rodeo grounds and stands. The contrast: half-filled with motorcycle-club leather and colors; half-filled with denim and boots. Either way, it was a great crowd of patriots and a tremendous and heart-warming way to spend the 4th. And, for the anyone who knows the area, it is one heck of a nice place to haul your Airstream (not that I had mine with me at the time).
yes it does, and i do take my bike with me when i have the trailer.

bob's cafe is one of my favorite spots for breakfast in belle fourche. you can see the bike in my photo section.

john
Old 01-08-2003, 05:12 PM   #36
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
railroad

jabba,

yes i had thought about that, just don't know what to do first. last year i read an interesting book by david bain called empire express. it is a very complete history of the trans continental railroad. thats what got me thinking about the sierra nevada mountains.

either way, i can't wait to get out there and do some exploring!

john
Old 01-10-2003, 06:36 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Change of plans...

I've been in contact with NM state parks and they have offered me a campground host position @ Heron Lake SP at the Willow Creek campground. I decided to accept it.

Since being back in FL, I've found that the high humidity levels really effects my pain level, compared to the lower humidity levels of the west. The OR SP had 175 sites and Willow Creek has only 23. Plus reading on the forum how long term salt spray/rain effects the exterior of the trailer, it became a no brainer.

I'll be there from April to the end of Sept and if any of you folks happen to be traveling by, please stop and say hi!

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 06:29 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I will probably hit several of the state parks in TN. this summer in addition to going back to the Cheatham County Dam Lock A site where I had that electrical problem last year. I hear they rebuilt the elec. box I was having problems with. This time I plan on getting up early each morning and fishing to my heart's content. I am still intrigued at the idea of a rally in Ohio with a tour of the Airstream factory but haven't heard much talk of it lately. I am in the process of refinancing my house along with a second mortage so this may determine how much I get away this spring and summer.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 07:27 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

In our second season with Bambi...

we plan the following:

1) We hope to take a trip with Bambi out west to visit Tom's relatives in Colorado Springs, then go over to Lake Tahoe to throw money into the slots for a while.

2) We are planning a 3-day camping trip to Hocking Hills (near Logan Ohio) for an annual event for our Jack Russell Terrier group. The event is called Jackapalooza. Pretty cute, huh?

3) Lots of weekend and hopefully long-weekend trips to various State parks within a couple hundred miles of Cincinnati.

4) At least 4 or 5 camping trips to terrier trials with Lucy and Gizmo (lure coursing, racing, go-to-ground, agility, etc.)

That should keep us moving in our second season as Airstreamers, don't you think? We'd also like to take in an Airstream Club event of some sort. I'll have to check that out, too. So many nice folks...so little time...

Cherie
KY Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 07:56 PM   #40
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
cherie

sounds like you have a full plate for this summer.

jackapalooza, small dogs everywhere! thats gotta be fun!

ever consider northern wisconsin? the lake superior area is very nice.

john