Old 05-21-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 18' Clipper
Elgin , Texas
Demand for RVs grows

Demand for RVs grows as coronavirus crisis changes the way we travel.

The travel industry has taken it on the chin during the coronavirus crisis, but the RV market is showing signs of resiliency despite a beleaguered economy and sky-high unemployment rates. Production began ramping up again this month at major RV manufacturers like Thor and Winnebago Industries, which suspended operations for several weeks during the pandemic. Dealers report strong demand for RV rentals and sales as would-be travelers look for options that minimize the risk of catching the virus.
"They see an RV as a way of getting outside in a safe and secure environment that they can control,” says the director of the University of Michigan’s monthly surveys of consumer sentiment. “I think the industry is in a really good place.”
The online peer-to-peer rental service RVshare — the recreational vehicle version of Airbnb — said business is booming among its 100,000 listings across the country. In the Midwest, bookings for RV rentals were up 30% the second week in May compared with the same period last year, said spokeswoman Maddi Bourgerie. Reservations have climbed 331% since early April, she said.
Shares of Camping World, which hit a low of $3.87 a share in mid-March, made a jump to $14 on May 8, shortly after the major retailer of RVs, outdoor supplies and services reported better-than-expected first-quarter results. “In mid-March, we did start to feel the effects of the pandemic and saw a slowdown that lasted into mid-April,” CEO Marcus Lemonis said. “I’m proud to tell you that last weekend, our May 8,9,10 sales were the biggest weekend in our company’s history. And so we feel good about where those trends are going. “If I could pick any business in the world to be in right now, as I sit here, the RV business is the one that I want.”
AAA anticipates this year’s Memorial Day holiday will set a record low for travel volume, despite dirt-cheap gas prices. Roughly 11 million U.S. households own an RV.
And RV shipments, which are a good indicator of RV sales, started to rebound in the previous decade. They hit a high point in 2017, surpassing the half-million mark then started to slide in the latter part of 2018 and continued to drop in 2019, when manufacturers shipped 406,000 RVs.
So, it would seem very likely that families will want to rent or buy RVs to replace the vacation they cannot have because of social distancing or closures of Disney, etc. I can imagine a period of time where an RV would offer a pretty attractive substitute for other vacation plans, both in 2020 and potentially 2021.”

Old 05-21-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, I’ve been reading for the past few days about the increased demand for RV’s.

I even had the fleeting thought that I could probably sell mine fully furnished and ready to go and make a nice profit.

(Not).

Maggie

Old 05-21-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
I’ve made great money on THOR stock since March. Full timer here and haven’t seen a ton of other RVs yet but it doesn’t mean demand isn’t there.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
I’ve made great money on THOR stock since March. Full timer here and haven’t seen a ton of other RVs yet but it doesn’t mean demand isn’t there.

We made reservations near Montrose and was told that they are full now. We live in the Valley of the Sun and I noticed a lot of RV’s on the highway here.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We need more places to go with our RVs. The increased demand for RVs means we will be competing for spaces that are already near or at capacity.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:49 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
We need more places to go with our RVs. The increased demand for RVs means we will be competing for spaces that are already near or at capacity.
Our little secret is out! Crowds will be bigger & bigger as well as more people on the roads for trips longer than just to the local airport garages. 😔

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mattawan , Michigan
So we activated been contemplating over buying an airstream for a while and are now pulling the trigger this weekend. Personally I would have no issue flying and staying in hotels and I will be again soon. But I don’t won’t to go through all those hassles that will be involved for a while, at least not for leisure travel...

So it looks like we are going get a globetrotter 27fb soon...
ZeGermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermans View Post
So we activated been contemplating over buying an airstream for a while and are now pulling the trigger this weekend. Personally I would have no issue flying and staying in hotels and I will be again soon. But I don’t won’t to go through all those hassles that will be involved for a while, at least not for leisure travel...

So it looks like we are going get a globetrotter 27fb soon...
Congratulations and welcome to the Airstream community! You chose wisely; another forum member says to buy your second Airstream first. We learned the hard way before we got our GT. Be sure to post some photos once it arrives.
WBCCI# 10258
April 3, 2020 Retirement Plan RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:09 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Baby boomers and the China virus are making it a good time to open up a campground maybe.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Nashville , Tennessee
Our VRBO rented lake home is so busy we are limiting our use of the damn thing while business is GOOD!

Had 3 cancellations all from out of state in the early part the Chinese Virus Scare. Within 12 hours of those cancellations all 3 week long cancellations were taken by locals who had planned to go to the now closed beach and now were going to the lake.

We were slammed last year and it's better this year!

Looks like little to no campground camping this year with everyone else "Going RVing"! That's OK with us. We like the Boondocking or maybe I should say "Overlanding" part of camping now anyway.

Now it's all about the sights and travel along the way instead of the destination. The more dirt roads the better!

Looks like the Argosy is going to be "Yard Art" for most of this year!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post

In a survey conducted by KOA of campers and non-campers who have used and who have not used KOA facilities a full 41% of all US adults polled stated they plan on camping this summer. IF and with all polls a major IF, this is close to accurate there will be a lot of disappointed people with new RVs.

Enjoy

Bud
Starting to Look (AGAIN) Number 5 Hopefully
USAF Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
RV parks

Now that the RV sales are going up. Now the question is “When are the RV Parks going to step up to the plate and bring their parks up to date and stop charging top dollar for a park that was built in the 1960’s and has not Been up dated. Mud road, sites not paved much less level, electric power old, internet non functioning, cable tv not available, swimming pools not heated, restrooms dirty and cold.
Julie-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
Now that the RV sales are going up. Now the question is “When are the RV Parks going to step up to the plate and bring their parks up to date and stop charging top dollar for a park that was built in the 1960’s and has not Been up dated. Mud road, sites not paved much less level, electric power old, internet non functioning, cable tv not available, swimming pools not heated, restrooms dirty and cold.
I would say they will change and upgrade when the have to do so to keep their business. When competitors have something better to offer the competition will force the upgrades.

It's a supply and demand business, like most non-government entities.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:53 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
Now that the RV sales are going up. Now the question is “When are the RV Parks going to step up to the plate and bring their parks up to date and stop charging top dollar for a park that was built in the 1960’s and has not Been up dated.
NEVER is the answer to that question in most instances!

Why should they?

Local building codes, ADA requirements, Environmental issues, Permits, NEIGHBORS, escalating property values and more will make sure that will NEVER HAPPEN!

You got $2MM-$3MM+ needed to NOW build a new "RV Park"?

I didn't think so!

I have a 2 acre Industrial Zoned property in a small town outside Nashville TN upon which I WAS going to build a "Covered" RV storage facility.

NOT NOW!

That small city under the nose of everybody just adopted a 500+ page new building code requirements that matches damn near word for word the Franklin TN building codes rules. Franklin TN is in the Williamson county TN. The wealthiest county in TN! You know what that means as far as building anything. Lot's of rules means "Mo Money" and that means EXPENSIVE!

What WAS going to be a $200K investment on my part for the development of the property for fencing, grading, covered structures and more for which I am ALREADY PROPERLY ZONED TO BUILD (I already own the property Free and Clear) will NOW require over $500K to build the same damn thing due to changes in paving, water run-off, fencing, covered structures, ingress/egress and more requirements due to the "New" 500+ pages of newly adopted building codes.

Had I applied for the permit in January 2020 I would have been OK! I went to the city in February 2020 to git the permit and that's when I found out what the city elected officials had done without notice to the property owner's within the city.

This town already had a moratorium for over 5 years on building anything as their sewer system was not sufficient due to none investment on the part of the city officials and therefore was already under state health department orders for no new building sewer connections and now this? I did not need a sewer connection for my project.

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!

Just like the government officials in charge of the CHINESE VIRUS!

Who the Hell is going to build anything there now?

I'm out!!!! No expectation of repayment/profit in my lifetime.

So here's your answer why very few if anyone is going spend da money to upgrade a private currently existing RV park or build a new RV park.

Just ride that RV park horse for all it's worth and GRAB ALL THE MONEY YOU CAN WHILE YOU CAN all the while continuing to RAISE PRICES for each nights stay!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
NBC’s Today Show just did a segment on the increased demand for RV’s and boats as people explore new ways of travel and vacationing during this pandemic.

A fleeting aerial shot, looking like from a drone, showed an Interstate like mine and IB’s at a sandy campground somewhere...I don’t believe it was mine.

The correspondent covering this segment was gushing over “camper vans”, which he would love to have.

It’s going to be interesting to see how this season plays out.

Maggie
Old 05-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
It will be interesting to see where this leads. As someone else mentioned I don’t see many current parks upgrading anything in the near term. I think in the short term they will have plenty of demand and no reason to compete for customers.
What I would like to see is a new type of model. One that meets the needs of a place to park with full hookups and close to attractions, city centers and public transportation. I think there will be or is a significant number of new RV owners not necessarily looking for a camping experience but rather a hotel alternative. Full hookups would be key to avoid using public dump stations. I could also see this basic model working alongside interstates. Small sites that just meet basic needs. Pull through would be key for this with no need to unhook. Full hookups would allow a traveler a nice long hot shower and a speedy departure.
I kinda picture a roadside hotel with a Denny’s and possibly a swimming pool but the hotel itself replaced with paved parking spaces large enough to accommodate a trailer and car.
No need for movies and bingo or planned kid’s activities.
Perhaps some motel chains might start to add this to their business model or even Walmart.
Shiny16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
What I would like to see is a new type of model....
I kinda picture a roadside hotel with a Denny’s and possibly a swimming pool but the hotel itself replaced with paved parking spaces large enough to accommodate a trailer and car.
That could work ...
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
It will be interesting to see where this leads. As someone else mentioned I don’t see many current parks upgrading anything in the near term. I think in the short term they will have plenty of demand and no reason to compete for customers.
What I would like to see is a new type of model. One that meets the needs of a place to park with full hookups and close to attractions, city centers and public transportation. I think there will be or is a significant number of new RV owners not necessarily looking for a camping experience but rather a hotel alternative. Full hookups would be key to avoid using public dump stations. I could also see this basic model working alongside interstates. Small sites that just meet basic needs. Pull through would be key for this with no need to unhook. Full hookups would allow a traveler a nice long hot shower and a speedy departure.
No need for movies and bingo or planned kid’s activities.
Perhaps some motel chains might start to add this to their business model or even Walmart.
Take a trip on route 66. The Motor Hotels often included a space to work on your vehicle. Your notion is not a far reach. I don't like it but I get it.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:28 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post

Had I applied for the permit in January 2020 I would have been OK!

STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!

Don't be so hard on yourself. How could you, a simple property owner, be expected to keep up with the years long process involved with changing the building code? I mean, reading all those articles in the Williamson Herald or going to those public meetings. Who has time for that?
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Well considering the amount of people who are going to be hit hard financially and or unemployed around the world and not just our country, I find this an unfounded and far from proven statement. I have seen a number of Motorhomes and regular RV’s up for sale and at VERY LOW PRICES.
People who have no savings are going to sell their stuff and there have been too many units bought by the younger generation in the past seven years, many of their units are going to be dropped like a hot potato.
I suspect there are many workers and owners who are terrified of this mess and what damage it is about to do.
Only a fool would be making a big purchase such as an RV at a time like this, the dust needs to settle, that is unless they are debt free and financially independent.
The camp grounds are going to be thinner and about time !!!

jmpgino is offline   Reply With Quote