Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Dallas to Jackson Hole I25 or I70

Planning a trip to Jackson Hole. Was working a route and my initial plan to go through Oklahoma-Kansas-Colorado.
Didn’t see anything exciting campground wise between OKC and Colorado.
Is it a more scenic route to go via I25?
Anyone got any recommendations
tIA
~manny
Streamerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I usually take the state highways up the TX panhandle until Amarillo, then head up to clip the corner of New Mexico, and hit I25 around Raton. I tried the drive across Kansas once... Once was enough.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Traffic on I-25 is very very fast.
Not so great if you are driving tow speeds.

(Of course you being from Texas and all, that may not bother you.)

We live in Kansas City, and usually go I-70 to Salina KS, then north up US hi way 81 north up to I-80 in Nebraska, and then take I-80 into WY past Rawlins and then go up through the Wind River Range to Dubois. That is a pretty drive.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
We've travelled US-83 (from Childress-287) all the way to I-94 (Bismarck) &, except for the Native Am. reservation in S.D. that was under total reconstruction, it's an interesting drive, mostly. The East Pan-Handle of Texas might pleasently surprise you. US-83 is not hectic and well maintained. Of course if you are only going to I-70 it's a viable option. I don't really like long hauls on Interstates when there is a good alternative.

PS: It's easy driving and you can make good time but don't forget about small city speed limits!
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
I 25 from CO Springs to Fort Collins should be avoided @ all costs, lots of traffic and construction. Some of this can be avoided paying tolls to use E470 but unless you have a reason to go to Denver I would do as another poster suggested and take I35 to I80. Or if you prefer there are good 2 lane alternatives across NE and WY.

On a side note - if you don’t have a campsite in the Jackson Hole area it could be impossible as they were scarce pre-Covid.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
Amarillo By Morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I usually take the state highways up the TX panhandle until Amarillo, then head up to clip the corner of New Mexico, and hit I25 around Raton. I tried the drive across Kansas once... Once was enough.
We live in Dallas and have done the above route 14 times, because Colorado is our "go-to" two-day drive summer state. US 287 is fine, with lots of restaurants and gas stops. Take the Interstate thru Denver, not the bypass, as the tolls with a trailer are nasty - $54.60. We use this route to get to Glacier, Yellowstone, etc. Montana is my new favorite state.

Coming home we ALWAYS stay at the Big Texan RV Ranch in Amarillo to rinse out the black tanks, empty hot water heater, pack for home, etc. We stay hooked to the TV and take the free round trip limo to The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery, awesome place. Pickup and delivered to your camping spot, the an easy drive home the next day.
Beewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:05 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
I

On a side note - if you don’t have a campsite in the Jackson Hole area it could be impossible as they were scarce pre-Covid.
We’re lucky enough to have family there who built full connections for us when we visit ;-)
Streamerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:44 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Corral Drive In RV Park in Guymon OK,,,,great scenic back road trip with little to no traffic. Then head west to I-25, several options there
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Lorena , Texas
I’m in Waco. Did the trip a couple of years ago. On the way up we were taking our time and enjoying the fall colors. 287 to Amarillo. Overnight at Palo Duro Canyon. Then Dalhart, Clayton, Raton, Colorado Springs where we turned west to St George and Blue Mountain Campground (forest service) for a couple of nights. Up 25 through Denver, Boulder to Estes Park for 4 nights. From there Fort Collins, back on 287 to 80. Then to Rawlins and on to Jackson.

Fished a week on the Henry’s Fork of the Snake.

On the way home I was in more of a hurry. Reversed the route to Fort Collins, then 25 to Trinidad. Overnight at Trinidad State Park. Then back to Amarillo, south on 27 to 86 to Quitaque, overnight at Caprock Canyons State Park. Home next day.

I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.
lemley is offline   Reply With Quote