Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Tyler , Texas
Dallas/Garland RV park

We plan to be in the Dallas area for a gymnastics meet this weekend and need a recomendation on a nice RV park that is not too far from the Garland area. We have two tag along grandkids so a asphalt spot in the middle of a field will not work out. Any help?
Thank you, Pete
pjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjude
We plan to be in the Dallas area for a gymnastics meet this weekend and need a recomendation on a nice RV park that is not too far from the Garland area. We have two tag along grandkids so a asphalt spot in the middle of a field will not work out. Any help?
Thank you, Pete
Pete,

When we go to the D/FW area, we always stay at Treetops RV Village in Arlington. It's a few blocks north of I-20 right in Arlington. Very close to Six Flags and other theme parks for the grandkids. It's a very nice park, and the rates are reasonable.

Their website is Treetops RV Village - A Carefree RV Resorts Property

_____Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
One place we have really enjoyed that's not much farther away is Cedar Hill State Park. We lived just east of Dallas for a while, and found Cedar Hill was a great spot for a weekend getaway.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Cedar Hill State Park is great - one of our favorites. Just remember it's elec/water only; no sewer hookups.
We've stayed at Treetops and Trader's Village in the Arlington area; both are good. There's also Dallas West, across the Trinity from Downtown Dallas, maybe 3 minutes to downtown, West End, etc. Pretty much as close as you can get to Dallas with access to all the Interstates to move around DFW.
Sorry I can't speak to the Garland area specifically.
Have a great meet.
racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Tyler , Texas
Tree Top park

Stream 1529
Tom: I made reservations today at Tree Top and was informed that they have a 10 year age exclusion ....exept on Airstreams! Glad I own one.
Thanks for the tip
Pete
pjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Sandy Lake RV Park is across the street from an amusement park of the same name (and the road both are on). It is where we are at present. It is closer than the ones named above. It is not without amenities (a pool), its great advantage is the easy accessibility of all Dallas and Fort Worth north of Interstate 30 (the old Dallas-Ft. Worth Turnpike). Essentially, it is at the junction of Interstate 35E (Stemmons Expressway) and TX-190 (G.H.W. Bush Turnpike). Those, in turn link up quickly with Interstate 635, TX-114, etc. In short, any activity in D/FW that is a family attraction is easily available from here.

Garland is a straight shot east from this park. Very easy. A little orver 30-minutes.

That said, there are more attractive parks. The City of Grapevine has a park on Lake Grapevine that is said to be quite attractive (according to those who have stayed there; we had a family next to us a month or so back --last time we were here -- who told us about it); but, be warned: with over 100% more rain this year than normal this park was closed due to high water in June.

VINEYARDS
campgroundreviews.com :: Grapevine, Texas

Garland itself is unattractive in the main, and I am unaware of any RV parks on the northeast side of Dallas.

I would not recommend the park on W. Commerce. Traffic from the Arlington area to Garland is always a concern. Often heavy. Were it me (a Dallas native), I'd take the long route: Interstate 20E to 635N. Allow 1.5-hours travel time, figure on over an hour. Try to avoid the downtown mixmaster. A single problem there (or along I-30; common to both) will ruin a morning or afternoon. 6-million people with 4-million cars in D/FW.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote