Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Current River Missouri

Anybody been canoeing on the current in Missouri. A friend of mine emailed they were going in July and wanted to know if we would like to come.
What are some good campgrounds?
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

There is a little state camp ground just north of AltonMo. On state route 19 and it has access to the current for put-in. This time of year the shower house and fac. will be open. Also in Alton there is a nice little home town restaurant on the west side of the square and they have a canoe and kayak shop on the north side also. I which I was going with you! Oh and it’s a neat river done this section several times. You will see eagles, otters and wild goats. Have fun
J&D AS#2
JD85EXCELLA32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Trailerite

1971 23' Safari
Riverton , Missouri
There's the Alton Burger Palace, just off the square to the South, and Grandma's Kitchen. I eat at the Burger Palace when I'm in town by myself, and at Grandma's when I want to be formal. Formal is still pretty laid back.
If you have time, check out the eleven point river, I think it's more fun, but I'm partial because I live on it. Only about 15 miles East of the Current.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I grew up vacationing on the Current River--it must be part of my blood stream! When I was small, my family would stay at cabins at Big Spring State Park on the Current. The lower Current is wide and slow compared to the upper river, the part that Max and I and our kids loved to canoe. We would put in at Baptist Camp and float down to Akers Ferry. If you float the upper Current in July-August, always call and check about river levels. If it turns out to be a dry summer, as last year was, you'll be dragging your canoes as much as floating. The Current, Jacks Fork, Eleven Point, the Black, The St Francois, all these are beautiful Missouri rivers, along with many others not even mentioned! Also, be aware that you may run into BIG crowds on the river in mid summer on the weekends. If you can do a Mon-Thursday float, you may find you have the river more to yourselves. I'd suggest that you get a copy of the Missouri publication that maps each of the floatable rivers, noting springs, rapids, dams, and other features along the way--great fun to have along on the trip. Wish we were there right now! ~G At one time, Akers Ferry had a camp ground, crowded and dusty, but a place to pitch a tent. You might contact them about trailer sites. Also, I don't know if the other state parks in the area have trailer camping. You might Google in Mo State Parks and see what you find out.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Thanks for the responses. Love burgers will for sure check it out.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote