Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2019, 05:58 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
We’ll be making our way through Texas sometime in April. I’m following this thread as y’alls info is invaluable as we start planning this leg of our adventure. We would really like to avoid the interstate, if at all possible.

We love Texas, and as one good Texas friend used to say, “I’d drive 100 miles for a Coke”
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
We’ll be making our way through Texas sometime in April.

At that time of year, pick a route that takes you through the Hill Country. The wildflowers will be in bloom and well worth seeing.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
There are many great state parks in Texas.
From east to west:
- Caddo Lake State Park on the border of LA and TX
- Palmetto State Park
- Seminole Canyon State Park
- in West Texas there are many including: Huaco Tanks, Palo Duro, Davis Mountains,
Monahan Dunes, Balmoorea (might be closed) as well as the amazing Big Bend area.
Towns I like in West Texas: Marathon, Alpine, Terlingua, Marfa, and Fort Davis.

This is a brief list based on my travels and a project I’ve done for Texas State Parks

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:36 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
At that time of year, pick a route that takes you through the Hill Country. The wildflowers will be in bloom and well worth seeing.

Thanks! I completely forgot about the wildflowers. That’s a serendipity as we travel through that area.
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
Traveling through Texas

We traveled from Annapolis to California in early December 2018 and returned from California to Amelia Island, FL then home last week.

On the way out, we had to stay north of storms in the South, so we took US 70 to Salina KS, then south to Tucson. Followed US 8 to San Diego. I didn't think 8 was bad with our RAM 2500 Cummins, but we passed quite a number of Rv's laboring up the grades.

Our return was US 10 from California to Jacksonville, FL. Texas was easy, but long. The Hill Country was the highlight. Kerrville and Fredericksburgh are worth spending time.

US 10 in Louisiana was rough. Lots of construction going on. US 10 in Florida was fine, although they are still removing storm damaged trees.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #26
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Follow the good advice of others and take I 10 and stay at the many terrific state parks nearby. Hueco Tanks is beautiful, and convenient. I second the Monahan Sand Dunes, can't go wrong with State Parks in Texas. Also great State parks in New Mexico just off I 10 - City of Rocks is one, Rockhound is another. If you are not too big Cochise Stronghold in the Dragoon mountains of AZ is not far off the highway and very beautiful
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewStream View Post
We’ll be making our way through Texas sometime in April.

And be prepared to need your a/c, unless you are at altitude, because we'll already be in our second month of Summer by then.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Excellent advice from Rich about the weather.

Patty, you must be prepared to do a quick winterization on the road, and should be carrying a compressor and all the accessories to do so.

Back in the 90's with our 25' we were novices and did an incomplete job near Abilene when a blizzard swept in quickly from the mountains, forcing a time-consuming repair in San Diego. The local saying we heard was, "If you don't like the weather today, come back tomorrow because it is sure to be totally different."

Have fun!

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Stay as far south as possible. Have made the run from San Diego to Huntsville Alabama many times. In February the weather can quickly turn against you with little warning on the more northern routes.

Build some extra time into your schedule in case the weather gets bad in Texas. The local joke is that the only thing between Texas and the North Pole is, "a barbed-wire fence, and it's down!" I've found that to be true--when the wind is howling and the rain/snow is horizontal, the last place you want to be in Texas is on the road. Better to wait out the storm for an extra day or two.

We sat out a strong storm in the hill country. With the trailer still hitched to the truck, the stabilizers tight down, and the wind howling, we sat for an extra day--the AS was still swaying, and our dogs tried everything they could to stay indoors. Walks for potty breaks went about 6 feet from the trailer, did their thing, and then they wanted back inside instantly. Don't blame them a bit!

PS -- The two sites to see are Carlsbad Caverns and Mount Rushmore. These may not work out for a winter trip, but are great IMO!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
10 or 20; guess it depends on if you want to go thru Dallas or Houston...both routes have traffic issues to be aware of, unless you take some back roads. Most direct seems thru Dallas; if your looking to go thru Houston/Austin area, then of course 10. The drive thru Austin can also be a challenge with traffic, but think you would enjoy many of the towns like Fredricksburg as mentioned earlier...lots of neat very good restaurants there and Admiral Nimitz museum is an awesome visit. Luckenbach TX close by also, and lots of wineries in the area...Texas has become very much like Napa in terms of wineries all over the place! Big Bend area is nice visit also this time of year but may be a bit out of the way...lots of little trendy towns, like Marfa you should not miss, if you head that way. There is lots of great hiking all along the way; google the places along the route to learn more. One thing you will notice; Texas is BIG...takes a long time to get thru it! And, time your trip so you go thru the big traffic areas including El Paso, middle of the morning...nothing I hate more than heavy traffic with the AS in tow...plan your stays ahead of time; once you leave Fredricksburg and get headed to El Paso, the pickings for staying overnight can get tricky...lots of the listed RV sites in the East/North East are occupied by oil workers...we just returned from round trip to San Diego, and were surprised how many were full. Fill up in AZ before getting into CA...I forgot... and my first tank of diesel in Indio, CA was $4.50/gal! I pay $2.55 here in Austin currently for diesel...regular is $1.94. Good luck and enjoy the BBQ in TX...it's all good and all over the place!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I'm having an "I thought I'd seen it all" moment. I never thought anyone would pick IH-10 over IH-20.

I've lived in greater Houston for the better part of 30 years, and I *INVENT* new ways of avoiding IH-10. From Baton Rouge to west of San Antonio, it is my least favorite road in the country. And I routinely drive up the eastern seaboard, so I have seen a lot of roads.

For the first time last summer, we took IH-20 all the way from Tuscaloosa to the point in deep East Texas where the IH-69 freeway connector will eventually be built. As nasty as IH-20 is in some locations, and as horrible as the trek south down the unimproved US-59 is in many places, I very much enjoyed avoiding the Gulf Coast nightmare corridor of IH-10 and IH-12.

But I'm in it for the traverse, not for the sightseeing. I suggest picking your visitation targets first and let the roads fall where they may.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
When you go through El Paso, take Trans Mountain Hwy over the Franklin Mountains. It will save you from driving through downtown and construction there in. The grades are minimal and what views. We took this route last summer. And you get to see a lot of Fort Bliss. As for CGs on I-10, Caverns of Sonora has a quaint and quiet CG. Balmorhea SP is minimal except for the swimming pool. West El Paso KOA is a big parking lot. We stay there as it's close to my sister.

After the TX-NM state line is Mesilla and Las Cruces. Might be nice spots there. La Posta in Mesilla is one of the best New Mexico style restaurants. Period.

John
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grapevine , Texas
Across Texas

Oh, Boo Hoo!

Both I-10 and I-20 end up going thru El Paso, so pick your best route.

I-10 goes thru Houston (never a non-rush hour ) and again thru San Antonio (traffic ). I-10 swings far to the south before coming back up to hit El Paso, so it is a bit longer, depending on where in Georgia you are starting.

I-20 thru Shreveport (seldom has traffic ) and on to Dallas. I-20 misses Dallas to the south, if that is a plus, before heading straight west to El Paso. If you need a break, drop south on I-35E to Hillsboro and stay at the North Texas Airstream Community "terraport" which has 30-some full hook-up spaces and dozens of friendly residents! Easy to head out to the northwest to pick up the "dip" in I-20, or jog back up I-35W to I-20 west-bound.

Or...if you want to explore Dallas, consider our Grapevine (mid-cities) location and use our "hosting" site for a couple of days! Look up Jensen #12194 in the Blue Beret directory, and contact us.

As always, check the weather forecast. It has been 75-plus degrees thus far into February! Although we have had ice storms in March, in years past.
tommyglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Tommyglenn,

Doesn't I-20 terminate west of Pecos?

Does it reappear in California?

Sjohn
Old 02-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
If you have time for a rather big side trip, you could visit Big Ben National Park. However, I only recommend it if you can stay in the Chisos Basin campground, but they only allow really small trailers and motor homes under '24 ft. due to the road up. For you, they have lower campgrounds as well, but the sunset from Basin always my favorite.

I heartily second this suggestion. I would even go so far as to beg you to make time for this side trip. Having hiked and driven all over Big Bend and having floated all the canyons in the park, as well as the 83 mile stretch of the Rio Grande just downriver from he park (all February trips), I can't say enough about the majesty and beauty of Big Bend. It is truly a national treasure. Go there. You certainly won't regret it; you will never forget it.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:21 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Choose your route a few days ahead of the trip based on the weather. If you expect bad weather, drive around it. Keep your gas tank full. Stay off the Interstates as much as possible.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
Thinking 20 to Texas looks good for the next week weather wise. We want to see Vicksburg Battlefield and will stay in the Natchez area. If we decide to see Austin, what’s the best route? Head back to 20 from Shreveport? Is road thru Jasper a good one? That seems to cut out Houston. Looking at atlas just gets us so far.

Everyone has been so helpful.... thanks to all. Big Bend is a big draw as I’m a NP junkie....that is if it’s open when we are heading by!
harriganp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #37
LDM
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2024 27' Globetrotter
Jonesville , Louisiana
If you are at Vicksburg. Natchez is out of your way going to Texas. The best place to stay around Natchez is Riverview RV park in Vidalia La. It is a lot of river to look at now.
LDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:21 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
If going to Austin, stay on I-20 to Tyler, head for Palestine, get on hwy 79 to Round Rock. This is our preferred route. The construction on I-35 is almost finished in Belton/Temple. If you want downtown, Pecan Grove RV Park is the place. Chuys, down the street, is great Mexican food. Darcy's Donkey is good, too.

John
Old 02-07-2019, 05:15 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDM View Post
If you are at Vicksburg. Natchez is out of your way going to Texas. The best place to stay around Natchez is Riverview RV park in Vidalia La. It is a lot of river to look at now.

We are booked there. Good to know we picked correctly
harriganp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #40
LDM
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2024 27' Globetrotter
Jonesville , Louisiana
You probably taking 61s out of Vicksburg as soon as you see signs for Natchez Trace Parkway get on it very good drive.
LDM is offline   Reply With Quote