Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 02:14 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdavitt View Post
I live outside of Fort Davis, it's about as natural as it gets. If you want to chat, PM me.
Pat

We are currently in Austin area. Looking at weather and winds, we are thinking San Antonio for 2 nites and then continue west. Struggling with routes and where to stop between San Antonio and El Paso area. Is it better to take 10 across or 90? Marfa is of interest to my husband, a sculptor and artist in a past life. We don’t like to go much more than 300 miles a day but I see long stretches ahead. Fort Stockton looks real windy over the next week. Big Bend might be too far as we need to be in San Diego mid March. Your thoughts?
harriganp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
From SA I like hwy 90. Check out Seminole Canyon SP. For a short drive out of SA, Garner SP is pretty nice, we go often. Great hikes and great river.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriganp View Post
We are currently in Austin area. Looking at weather and winds, we are thinking San Antonio for 2 nites and then continue west. Struggling with routes and where to stop between San Antonio and El Paso area. Is it better to take 10 across or 90? Marfa is of interest to my husband, a sculptor and artist in a past life. We don’t like to go much more than 300 miles a day but I see long stretches ahead. Fort Stockton looks real windy over the next week. Big Bend might be too far as we need to be in San Diego mid March. Your thoughts?
300 miles a day doesn't get you to many great sites on 10 until your out of Texas... And then you really need to watch the wind thru NM and AZ.....When we drove to San Diego last month, we had trouble finding RV parks that were not full due to the oil workers in the area on 10 and really, that drive from San Antonio thru Ft. Stockton to El Paso is not very scenic...honestly, neither is the drive to/from Big Bend..lots of nothin in between. Ft. Stockton is a bit over 300 miles from either Austin or San Antonio. If you wanted to spend a day/night in Fredricksburg area it will be about 250 miles to Ft. Stockton. A good place to stay in Fort Stockton area is the Fort Stockton RV Park (432) 395-2494; we stayed there last month coming back from San Diego; it is quiet, clean restrooms and good cable/wifi reception. You can make it to Las Crucis NM past El Paso next day 290 miles. In Las Crucis, we stayed at Hacienda RV Park...very nice and clean also. (575) 528-5800

Tucson easy drive next day about 270 miles...in Tucson, we stayed at Pacacho Peak RV resort(520) 466-7841, about 315 from Las Crucis; it was nice but highway noise. (our neighbors from MT winter there, which is why we stayed) From Tucson, you can make it into San Diego. We diverted after Yuma and went straight to Borrego Springs for few nights, then into San Diego. Borrego Springs State Park is great or you can boondock in the desert just outside of town for free... if you have the time. San Diego is only couple hours drive from Borrego springs and the drive thru Julian is very pretty...stop in Julian and get an apple pie; to die for!

If your looking for a RV place in San Diego, we stayed at Mission Bay RV park. Very central to SD and Old Town, right on the bay, but a bit pricy...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Quote:
It's kind of a toss up between I10 and US90 as far as ease of travel. US90 between San Antonio and Del Rio has a lot of small towns and since it is not an Interstate there are traffic lights. I10 West out of San Antonio has a lot of traffic until you get into the Hill Country. As a first time traveler out here, I think I10 would be more to your liking. You get to go through the Hill Country and then get to experience, since you are from the East, what I can only describe as an epiphany. The first time I went that route, I'm originally from the East too, when I left Ozona, came over a small rise and could see forever.

In any event you will go through the Big Bend region, I10 is the northern boundary and US 90 goes right through it. Fort Stockton is the pits, but from there you can take highway 67 to Alpine and then to Marfa.

Hope that helps,
Pat
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
This is perfect!! We are booked in mission bay rv mid March. How did you go to Borrego springs? rte 10 and then south? I hate highways and am always looking for side roads unless they add too much time.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I-10 for a straight shot. Hwy 90 for a taste of Texas.
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Take Hwy 90 from SA to Van Horn. Cuz it's I-10 the rest of the way to Phoenix. Not a lot of optional roads out West.

Fill up early and often.

Sjohn
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:51 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
This is perfect!! We are booked in mission bay rv mid March. How did you go to Borrego springs? rte 10 and then south? I hate highways and am always looking for side roads unless they add too much time.
We took the 86 thru Imperial to 78 into Borrego Springs. Once in BorregoSprings, there are a few RV parks that are nice but also expensive. We usually boondock or stay at the State Park (make reservations on line) if we can. We have had reasonable luck with just showing up early in the morning and got in without reservations, but reservations are best. WE love to boondock just outside of town on Rockhouse Trail off of S22; look for Rockhouse Camp Ground on the map...it's free. You will see other RV's out there...just pick a spot and enjoy the stars....unbelievable at night. Desert should be full of spring blooms about now... great to hike and explore the area..the desert iron sculptures are everywhere; you can also get some fresh citrus all over...$3 for 10 pound bags of orange/grapefruit at corner of Hendereson canyon and De Georgio; honor system...sample the fruit/ leave payment in the can! It's just down the road from Rockhouse area..Their is a great little grocery store in the town, a True Value with propane, and several good restaurants...surprisingly, they have everything...restaurants to try include Carlees for burgers and drinks; Kesslers across the street for great pizza and museum; Kendals is a sleeper for breakfast or dinner and the gift shop across from Kendals has excellent selection of everything...shoes, cloths, upscale camping supplies, wines, cheese...again, not what you would expect in a little town. But when you leave, go thru Julian...take your time getting out of Borrego cause going over the canyon road is steep in places and motorcycles love to fly thru there. You can get great pies and food in Julian...very nice town to visit shops when your heading to San Diego; but the best pies to go are at Julian Pie Company, in Santa Ysabel, just passt Julian a few miles...it's on your way to San Diego on the right at the corner of 78 and 79. There are several ways to get to Mission Bay, but you will need to get over to the 5. In Old Town, visit The Tequila Factory for brunch on Sat or Sun...you won't be dissapointed! Enjoy San Diego...Jakes in Del Mar or Eddie V's in La Jolla also for sunset dinner...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 02-13-2019, 07:07 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
Any other good spots...please send along. This Sound’s heavenly.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Here is just one example of the desert art in Borrego..there are giant creatures and bugs like this all over the place!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	desert pics borrego.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	333542  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #71
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
South

Stay South IMHO. We just returned to St. Louis from San Diego area.
Places we love:
—Anza Borrego SP at Borrego Springs
—Patagonia SP in AZ
—Kartchner Caverns in AZ. Don’t miss the caverns tour
—Las Cruces, NM. Mesilla area. Hacienda RV Park.
—Davis Mountains SP in TX. Don’t miss the tour and star night.

M
Grateful26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #72
RollingCasita

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin , Texas
Lots of great advice in these replies. If you are looking to just get through Texas, We have found I-20 has much less truck traffic, less congestion, and generally better roads. Either way enjoy your travels!
eddieburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
1957 18' Wanderer
Marfa , Everywhere
Yes, you should consider stopping in Marfa and taking the day-long Chinati Foundation tour. You can stay at the Marfa Yacht Club or the Tumble In. Texas route 90 is a favorite of ours, and a stay at Seminole Canyon SP on the way is a must and a treat. If you're in the Marfa/ Fort Davis area on a Saturday night you can attend a Star Party at the McDonald Observatory for just $12. Then its north to El Paso and Interstate 10 again. In Tucson we like to stay at Gilbert Ray Campground, which is first come first served, line up by about 7am and you have a good chance of getting in on a weekday. Close to Saguaro NP West. Then you can take the 86 west and stop in at Organ Pipe NM, which is worth the trip, and on your way out you can stop for a look around in Ajo, which is a very interesting small town. Safe Travels.....
57Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #74
1 Rivet Member

Sewickley , Pennsylvania
Big Bend Nat’l Park!

+1 for Big Bend! Pulled in Monday and am staying at Stillwell Store RV Park just outside the park entrance. It’s actually my first rv park and my first excursion with my Airstream, and I could not be more pleased. Incredible scenery...incredible weather!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A331FE14-EFF5-4F0A-B0A6-2861D6056109.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	698.9 KB
ID:	333544  
Ridge1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge1960 View Post
+1 for Big Bend! Pulled in Monday and am staying at Stillwell Store RV Park just outside the park entrance. It’s actually my first rv park and my first excursion with my Airstream, and I could not be more pleased. Incredible scenery...incredible weather!
Safe travels Ridge1960. Enjoy!

Great pic by the way. Where was it taken?

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lucedale , Mississippi
Texas, New Mexico and Arizona are all so dog friendly. Restaurants in Albuquerque went way beyond to make sure our dogs were happy and us well fed. The dogs loved the trip thru the petrified forest.
MamaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Christmas, we just returned to the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay after a 2-month round trip to Southern California to attend our daughter's wedding on December 1. We planned different outgoing and returning routes with the goal of seeing new stuff and avoiding cold weather. The return trip, we went through southern Arizona, New Mexico, El Paso, Big Bend National Park Texas, a state park in the Texas Hill Country, Galveston, southern Louisiana, Mobile, the length of the Florida Panhandle to St. Simon's Island. From there, we turned north along the coast.

This is, more or less, the I-10 route, with a lot of detours. We did it in 21 days, including staying 3 nights in Big Bend. No issues with snow. We did not take I-10 through Louisiana. Instead, we went south, stayed at 2 different state parks and at an RV Park in Lafayette, the heart of cajun country. We also did not take I-10 through metro Houston, which is not scenic and no fun. Instead, left at Beaumont/ Port Arthur and headed down the Bolivar Peninsula, taking the free Bolivar-Galveston Island Ferry. There's a nice state park right on the beach at Galveston Island, south of the city. If you keep going south on Galveston Island, you can eventually get off near Freeport/Victoria and head west. Our stop prior to Galveston (we were going east; you will be going west) was a lovely state park near Uvalde (that would be south of I-10). After that you could get back on I-10, if you don't want to detour to Big Bend NP. However, west Texas is worth it. There's a fantastic old hotel, lovingly restored in Marathon, and the nearby towns, such as Alpine are worth a visit. We kind of blasted through southern New Mexico; the weather was rainy. Tucson has a nice, but popular state park just north of town, Catalina SP, in the Catalina foothills. We've twice (in 2016 and again last December) been to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument in western Arizona on the Mexican border. No hookups, but water and dump station available. Beautiful place and one of Campendium's favorites. In SoCal, Anza-Borrego state park is lovely (been there twice). if you can do without hookups, those sites are in a prettier location and are more dispersed. The hookup sites are squished together. Further west, Joshua Tree NP is very popular -- almost overrun I would say. No hookups, but the campgrounds are pretty.

There's no traffic-free way to get into coastal SoCal. So, you just have to grin and bear it. Plan out your route in exact detail, so you know what lane to be in, what exit you want and so on. You will find that the right lane disappears many times. Do not depend on the GPS to navigate you. While accurate, sometimes it's too slow to react to where you are when the next move is coming up quickly. We have done a lot of driving on the SoCal freeways, both on this last trip and in 2015-2016 when we used the Malibu RV Park as a base for exploring all of California, Nevada and Arizona. It can be done safely. California has a maximum speed limit of 55 mph for all towed vehicles, including semi trucks. Our experience is that, subject to a 5 mph "fudge factor" everyone observes that. In some other western states, especially Texas, you'll find that speed limits are really high. It's not uncommon to have two-lanes in Texas with speed limits of 70 or 75. Because of my own views about the stopping ability of our truck-trailer combination, and the limitations of our GYM trailer tires, I observe a personal speed limit of 60-ish or the posted limit, whichever is lower.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
A boat recently collided with I-10 support structure causing major damage.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I understand the repairs will take a LONG time.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:48 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mesa , Arizona
I 80 in .Wyoming is the most often closed interstate in the US, and for good reason. It can snow any month of the year - and does. Between
Cheyanne and Laramie its over 9000', Laramie is at 7200'. Wonderful place to visit in The summer.
Moodywelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:55 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
sault sainte marie , Michigan
I-10 Yes, I-20 No

Been across I-10 from Slidell, LA all the way to PHX about 7 times. I don't remember terrible roads in LA and the VERY LONG Atchafalaya Bridge is pretty cool. Always detour around San Antonio after getting caught there in rush hour once, and go up toward New Braunfels and eventually back to I-10 for the rest of the way to PHX. My wife loves to stop at Balmorhea State Park which is very close to the junction of I-20 and I-10 and Ft. Davis is close as well I believe. I did do I-20 one time but the transitions to and from the overpasses in Jackson MS had me worrying about breaking the tongue off my trailer, so never again. Also, I would debate that there is any difference in the weather between the 10 and the 20.
bartzstream2 is offline   Reply With Quote