Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2020, 11:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Ontario
Cross canada’ish adventure

Hello,

So we are considering keeping our kids in online learning for the first two months. Our kids are 5,8 and 11 and we live in southern Ontario as an FYI. Don’t want to make this into a political debate on the matter as I fully respect each and every families decision in this regard.

So we have travelled quite a bit the last 5 years with our trailer (spending 40-50 n in nights or so in it). Given our decision to do online learning until November 2 (first proposed opt in date) we are strongly considering going out west, eventually to BC with our 30’ FC. We will also respect each and every provinces public health measures and be as safe as we can be while away.

We will take our time crossing the various provinces do not in a rush. Will make sure we have appropriate WIFI available (still firing this one out). We are still in the very early stages of itinerary but thought I would reach out to get the groups advice:

- am I crazy thinking I can drive out west with three kids, a low energy dog and a 30’ trailer?
- any highlights or things I should avoid?
- would love to stick with provincial / national parks but with no showers and no full hookups not sure how to do this. Any advice or thoughts in this area would be great.
- any tips for longer trips? Longest drive so far has been about 10 hours without any issues but obviously this is longer.

Part of the plan may be to store our trailer maybe in Alberta or BC for a month and rent AirBNB’s maybe - this depends on access to campgrounds etc but thinking some extra space mig by be good for three kids in online school. This part is still very much io for debate.

So more questions than answers at the moment so I thought I would reach out to the group for advice.

Thanks in advance!
newbiewander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Any travel is considered risky now a days. We full time and feel safer on the road in our own space then in someone else’s house or near big cities though.

I say go for it if you can manage to full time in the winter up there. Will be horribly cold as you already know. What’s your experience in the airstream I’m freezing conditions?

As far as homeschooling, there is a huge support group for road schooling. Just come into contact with the right people and they will be there to support your decision much how most of us here are able to support your airstream decision.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Ontario
Thanks very much. The latest we would be out there would be Kate October so hopefully not too cold then but appreciate the comment for sure. I agree completely the feeling safe sleeping and cooking in our trailer as well. We really only have this window to try this as my wife is still laid off and I can work remotely.
newbiewander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
You should be ok as long as you are home by the end of October. My latest trip on the Prairies was on Nov 2 and our plumbing froze at the fresh water inlet in Jasper. It resolved itself by noon but it was a wake up call. Also ran into a blizzard in Saskatchewan In mid October one year and also a nasty snow event near Thunder Bay in October another year. It gets risky. Also, many campgrounds are closed by the end of September so you have to be prepared for lots of boon docking. I travel with empty holding tanks, full water, and full propane. This provides maximum flexibility when things don't go as planed. 20 % of the time. The north shore around Lake Superior can be fabulous or your worst nightmare in October.
I have made the western trip several times from Ontario with an Airstream and no matter what happens, it's always a great adventure. Good luck. Jim
Old 08-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
My favorite parks in Ontario (or most of Canada, for that matter) are the Parks of the St Lawrence. Great camping, water sports, biking and ship-watching. Poignant history about the villages that had to be relocated when the seaway was dammed.

Sad that I cannot come across this year. But I'm certainly going back.

Pat

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
PEC (Prince Edward County), near Kingston is a favorite area for us.
many camping areas and one very large Camp ground right on lake Ontario South of Sandbank prov Park
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
We usually set out on some camping days in November on the coast. There are no bugs and the 3 season trailers are comfortable enough during this time with heaters. If not on the coast, I would think that things would start to freeze up.

We are in a bubble here and usually only have a few weeks of weather below zero. Mostly rain in our winter. I expect that same goes for PEI and the Maritimes.

In the prairies, they got some snow recently! so that is quite unpredictable.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote