Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Crisfield MD to Mystic CT via Lewes Ferry

We're going to be traveling from Crisfield, MD to Mystic CT and the Cape May-Lewes Ferry was mentioned as a route versus taking Rt. 13 to 95/495. Wondered if anyone had experienced this ferry with their airstream. Does it save that much time? Is it worth the expense taking the ferry? Thanks
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Take the ferry for the scenery

Don't take the ferry to save money, or time, but if you want to enjoy the scenery or make a stopover, take the coastal route. The ferry will probably also cost more than the Maryland and Delaware toll roads. The Garden State Parkway will then probably cost about the same as the NJ Turnpike, but it is a much more pleasant drive.

We traveled through the NJ coast in January, boy it was COLD then! Should be a lot warmer now. We enjoyed the deserted Atlantic City boardwalk, the Noyes Museum north of town, and the adjacent wildlife refuge. The ferry ride was uneventful, but once we were down at Cape May the ferry was definitely the shortest route.

You might need reservations.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Yep!

They may put you to the back of the line if the ferry is crowded, and it's expensive WITHOUT a towed vehicle $25 last time I took it.

It's pretty but a boring after the first 15 minutes.

Last but not least they're doing the "terrorist search" on vehicles. You've got to be there very early and if they decide to search your whole Airstream, you could have to wait for the next ferry. I haven't traveled that way much, but I did go through NYC one time by mistake WITH the Airstream. New Yorkers are nice... they all wave but for some reason they only put up one finger. OMG! TAKE the GARDEN STATE Parkway!

On my way back I actually went through western NY, across PA to the west of Philly and then cut back over. All in all, a much less nail biting trip.

Paula
Old 05-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by knunut
We're going to be traveling from Crisfield, MD to Mystic CT and the Cape May-Lewes Ferry was mentioned as a route versus taking Rt. 13 to 95/495. Wondered if anyone had experienced this ferry with their airstream. Does it save that much time? Is it worth the expense taking the ferry? Thanks
I don't know anything about the ferry. Just want to say welcome to my neck of the woods. You will love Mystic - very pretty - whaling ships, old houses, etc, and lots to do in the surrounding area.

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
I took the ferry last year and, found it to be nice. It's not cheap but for me with the burb and 29' A/S the price was around 50$ then..I enjoyed it and, the company of folks aboard. Walked around, had something to eat and, just relaxed in general. Heading north? In Cape May, I found an overnight parking place and, was able to enjoy excellent seafood in the process. lol Cape May is a gem of a place for walking, shopping, ppl are nice. Enjoy~!
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
If you can spare the change and have the time the ferry is pretty cool, boring, long but you can get some cool photos of your AS on the ferry. You are going to love Mystic. We had a rally last fall at the KOA there. We had 23 rigs and a real blast! Actually we have a great time everytime we have a rally. Lots to do in Mystic, great seafod for Connecticut, the aquarium is fun and if you like old ships the village is a great living history spot complete with warfs and all.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Cape May/Lewes Ferry

I've made the trip with the Airstream several times, never been subjected to the "terrorist search" ... yet, and have been placed in the center row of the boat every time. In slightly rough seas, that's a good thing, but you will be serenaded by all the car alarms going off. The ride is typically uneventful. I've been known to take a nap on the way over.

Depending on the combined length of your rig, it would cost you approx. between $54.00 and $65 this time of year. They accept reservations for an additional $5, which is a good idea in the summer months, as it gets quite busy. When my destination is north I use Rt 1 (which now bypasses Dover and several small towns) up to Rt. 95 at Wilmington. The bypass is a quicker drive than old Rt. 13 now, and the speed limit is 65 MPH. There are two toll charges before you get to Wilmington - $2 on weekends, and $1 on weekdays. The ferry is only cost effective if my destination is in coastal New Jersey.

Have a safe trip.

Schedules & Fares - Cape May-Lewes Ferry
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
When my destination is north I use Rt 1 (which now bypasses Dover and several small towns) up to Rt. 95 at Wilmington. The bypass is a quicker drive than old Rt. 13 now, and the speed limit is 65 MPH. There are two toll charges before you get to Wilmington - $2 on weekends, and $1 on weekdays. The ferry is only cost effective if my destination is in coastal New Jersey.
Yes, the new Route 1 is sweet. Prior to the road being complete we would drive through corm and soy fields on two lane roads all the way down from Willminton to Easton, MD. It is amazing how much the whole area has changed in the last twelve years. Route 1 also takes EasyPass and has the high speed lanes so no stopping for the tolls.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote