Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
Covered Storage in Texas?

Hi Folks. First of all let me say thanks to everyone here for all the information I've gleaned since buying our 06 20 foot Safari during the summer of 2009. We've had a great time taking trips here in the Northeast and I continue to learn from all of you how to enjoy and maintain our baby.

We're planning on rolling down to Texas in either February or March. We'll stay awhile and then fly back home and return in April to roll north again.

So what we need is reliable covered storage in either the Austin/Hill Country or Forth Worth area. We have friends and family both places and can fly easily in and out of Bergstrom, Love or DFW. I found one place in Dripping Springs (Locktite) that charges $120 per month.

Any other experience or advice?

On a related note: I've been to Perdenales Falls State Park so I know the drill there. Anyone spent any time at McKinney Falls State Park in Austin? It seems convenient for our purposes but I'm a bit concerned about airport noise.

Thanks in advance.
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Call Texas storage in NW Austin. They may have a covered spot available! 512-331-1022
Old 12-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I haven't found the airport noise to be a problem at McKinney Falls SP. I haven't been there in all kinds of weather, so I don't know if the traffic pattern changes but with the prevailing summer winds, flights aren't passing directly overhead. It's a much prettier park when it's had rain within the previous month or two, though... it was bone-dry this past summer!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Indoor RV storage in Plano, TX. A giant temp/humidity controlled warehouse. Just off of the 190/Bush Tollroad which means a direct, fast drive to D/FW International.

City RV Storage
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
Airport traffic didn't bother us at McKinney Falls.

We would love to have you join us for a campout or Rally if the timing works out while you're here. Check our website at THLU.org for dates and locations and we have just announced an informal, no-host, make-your-own reservations campout at Inks Lake State Park starting January 13th that's not listed.
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
Thanks folks!

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll run it all down.
My wife and I met in Fort Worth in the early 80's. She's an Aggie but I hold "other" things against her more often. I'm an SMU grad.

WE both lived in Texas 12 years BEFORE we met and after we married we drifted back east towards my home territory. But we have alot of family in Central Texas and The Hill Country as well as New Mexico and Southwest Colorado. We love being all of those places and the Safari should enable that.

We both still work but we do have control over our schedules. March/April seems to be the time both of us can get away but if we can do a six month "storage" down that way each winter then we can commute a bit to have some fun out west November to may.

We actually rent our house here in East Hampton for portions of July-August and live in the Safari at local campgrounds.

Ane yes...we both love beer. Fancy Beer:

Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob View Post
I found one place in Dripping Springs (Locktite) that charges $120 per month.
Any other experience or advice?
On a related note: I've been to Perdenales Falls State Park so I know the drill there. Anyone spent any time at McKinney Falls State Park in Austin?
Thanks in advance.
I( keep my trailer at LockTite in Dripping Springs. It is currently full and with a waiting list. This time of year, there are numerous power boats on the wait list that fill any possible vacancies. I was lucky to get in when they first opened the covered storage.

As to McKinney Falls, I have camped there often and I have never noticed any airplane noise. The runway is north-south and the park is west of the runway so that the noise is not pointed at the park.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote