Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2004, 10:47 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Cool

Rick,
I will give you a shout when we get closer to September. I have the paperwork to join WBCCI. I need to get the serial # off our coach and then hopefuly try to chose a number that would fit our year. Maybe 7627? or 2776 or just see if it is available.

I think you know the couple that we are getting the coach from... Trailer Buff (Dave and Martha Markel)

I feel sure we would like to go to the Hatteras rally. You could help us "knock the new off"....

We were looking at Airstreams last year and were suprised just how many we saw on the way to Ocracoke! We found three on Ocracoke!! We left the island right before Isabel hit... It slamed us here in Richmond.. We were with out power for 9 days... In the city proper over 10,000 trees were blown down....

Ps have you heard of the fishing boat named "Autopsy"?

Abe
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Abe we will be looking forward to seeing you when you come down. I have a niece getting married on 9/11 so we will be out of town on that weekend but so far that looks like the only date that and our local rally on the 17-19. Let us know as the date gets closer would love to meet you.
If you are getting a unit from Dave and Martha you can rest assured that it is as they represent it to be. They do a wonderful job of restoration and I'm certain that you will be happy your new baby.
The number 2776 is currently being used, but as of the lastest issue of the membership directory 7627 was not.
North Carolina was having its state rally in Hatteras last year when Isabel came through. That is why you saw so many Airstreams. Many had come in early to take advantage of the beautiful weather and the beach. There is not prettier place to be than on the beach in the early fall.
I haven't heard of the Autopsy but that's not a big surprise. I have never done any offshore fishing. Once a fisherman finds a boat and crew that he likes he uses them almost exclusively.
Looking forward to seeing you in the fall, our Sept rally is in Powhatan, Va between Williamsburg and Jamestown. Depending on the date that you come through and the route (just off I-64) you might want to make the rally one of your stops on the way to the beach. It would give you a chance to meet others and see just what the club has to offer.
Rick
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 08:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Rick,
Our week in Ocracoke is from 9/11-9/18. We usually stay at the Quality Inn at mp 16 1/2 on the way down, so we get the early ferry.
We would love to visit your rally on our way back on 9/18. We love to take our time heading back to the real world after 7 days at Ocracoke....
Will look forward to the visit on 9/18!
Abe
Old 03-12-2004, 09:45 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Do you stay in the federal campground or the one by the British Cemetary? I don't blame you for wanting to take your time getting back to the real world after visiting Ocracoke. We used to do our anniversary there in July but it started getting so crazy that we stopped. We try not to visit until the summer season (memorial day to labor day) is over. I'll have to give you directions to the Powhatan Campground.
Rick
Old 03-16-2004, 05:06 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Rick,
We haven't camped camped on Ocracoke yet, but would stay at the campground neat the British Cemetary. (thay have 5-6 spots with sewer hoockups) Land has become so valuable on Ocracoke that several people are living at campsites. We spent several hours "checking out" possible camping options last September. We might go back in October if we have our trailer.

I have my application for WBCCI, Martha Makel (5977)is our sponsor. How would I go about requesting that number (7627) to see if it is still available?
Thanks,
Abe
Hensley Hitch
Old 03-16-2004, 05:21 AM   #26
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Abe,

Call WBCCI Headquarters and tell them you are in the process of send in your application. They will be able to tell you if the number you want is available. If so they will hold it for you. 7627 is not in use in my WBCCI directory so you may be in luck.

Headquarters is 937-596-5211
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 01:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Abe I think there is a place on your registration where you can request a number. In my case I used the number of the previous owner since he was buying a motorhome other than Airstream and no longer had an Airstream product.
Like thenewkid said just a phone call should be all that is needed.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Thanks all,
I will call HQ tomorrow and see if they will hold that unused 7627 number. For our 1976 27 footer. I must have an old request form.

Abe
Old 03-18-2004, 07:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Here we go...
Just spoke with Kathy in membership, she reserved "7627" for us.
So, our coach named "Spirit" will have a number with a little story...
Abe
Hensley Hitch
Old 03-18-2004, 10:30 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I have found the people in membership easy to work with, glad you got your numbers, that also makes them easier to remember. Now all of your little gadgets, Y connectors, extension cords, gang boxes put your numbers on them. When at rallys all these parts look alike and if you have your numbers on them they will come home to you. I also like to put a unique piece of paint on my stuff, my color is rustoleum med green. That way my craftsman wrench looks a little different from yours, my son-in-laws are international orange.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:15 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Thanks Mr Timbo!

Just got back from the trip north. Courtesy parking in SC, courtesy of "Mr Timbo" was the nicest part of the whole trip! I heartily recommend it to everyone.

And this is exceptional, but "Mrs. Timbo" made a very nice dinner of roast pork and vegetables. I slept very well parked in their back yard last Sunday night!

Thanks, Tim!

-- Rich

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 03:03 PM   #32
MrTimbo

1975 31' Sovereign
Newberry , South Carolina
Just wanted to say this was our first experience at courtesy parking, and it was a great experience for us also. I would recommend both trying and offering courtesy parking. "Mrs Timbo" said don't count on a meal everytime though. If any one is coming through South Carolina and needs a place to stay give us a hollar.

Mr Timbo
MrTimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 06:37 PM   #33
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by MrTimbo
"Mrs Timbo" said don't count on a meal everytime though.
Yep .. Mrs. Timbo is right. I would be grateful for a place to just park and get a few winks at night. A meal should never be expected ... that was very very generous.

I would assume that it would be good manners for the guest to offer some type of small gift or token (inexpensive but somewhat thoughtful) of appreciation for the courtesy of parking.

My father taught me to never show up empty handed. We're trying to think of something to carry with us that we could give as a way of saying thank you without being "over the top." Any suggestions?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 06:49 PM   #34
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
A bag of Pork Rinds?????

Honestly a small gift is a nice idea, before you leave you could lay in a supply of items from your current hometown. Food based items seem to be appreciated, I think we all will agree that having something else to dust is not what we want.

Finding a case of little known salsa, or special blend jam or jelly would serve you well. Once you run out it also gives you something to look for in your travels.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 06:52 PM   #35
Magazine publisher
Commercial Member

Ferrisburg , Vermont
I'm planning to give out sample magazines starting this summer ...

I've noticed that Airstream folks LOVE pins. It would be very cool to have some sort of neat Airstream pin to give. See www.pinsource.com for examples.

You could carry a Polaroid and shoot pics of you & the hosts standing by your trailer -- to appear on their refrigerator or scrapbook.

We also sometimes give people little nip-sized bottles of maple syrup. $1 each from our local shop (mail order house Dakin Farm). This is more because so many people don't know good maple syrup from the fake stuff -- it's our obligation as Vermonters to educate them!

And little food items are often appreciated. I've never seen anyone turn down a pint of Ben & Jerry's!
Airstream Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:44 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

A knife!

Since I am a Floridian and a southerner...I know there are times when everyone needs a small knife for sumthin'....there are neat but inexpensive ones all over in stores and on the internet.....

Just remember the receiver of a knife by custom needs to give the giver any coin or it's bad luck!
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 07:53 AM   #37
MrTimbo

1975 31' Sovereign
Newberry , South Carolina
Rich's gift to us was his company with us. We naturally had Airstream in common but we also had a love of aviation. I think we could have talked all night. I think if more people would just treat other people the way that they would want to be treated the world would be a much better place.

Tim
MrTimbo is offline   Reply With Quote