Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2006, 07:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Corps of Engineers Camping Cuts

The following is from today's Minneapolis Star-Tribune. Is this happening elsewhere? I'll bet a few handfuls of people in a state contacting their congresspeople could have an influence all over!

4 camping areas will be closed
The Corps of Engineers is short of funds to keep them open, but hoping to find help.

Warren Wolfe, Star Tribune
Federal officials said Friday that they will not open four popular camping areas in northern Minnesota this season because of a $1 million cut in funding.

The sites, operated by the Army Corps of Engineers, attracted 600,000 of the 1.45 million visitors who used the corps' 20 recreation sites in Minnesota between April and October last year.

Services will be reduced at six other areas, corps officials said. All 10 probably will return to full operation in 2007, when funding is expected to be restored, officials said.

The sites scheduled to be closed are the Gull Lake Recreation Area near Brainerd, the Big Sandy Lake Recreation Area near McGregor, the Leech Lake Recreation Area near Federal Dam and the Lake Winnibigoshish Recreation Area near Deer River.

However, the four sites could open if counties or the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) agree to take them over with reduced services for the season, said Tim Bertschi, a spokesman for the corps. He said state and county officials are considering such a move, at an average cost of about $80,000 each.

The state has had only one hour-long discussion with the Corps, "and it's way too soon to know what will happen," said John Lilly, assistant director of state parks, which attract about 8 million visitors annually. "It's very interesting, but we need a lot more information."

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Thanks for posting this!

Bummer to hear it. I'm not surprised given the economy though. Lotsa belt tightening in Michigan.

We're looking forward to camping at several Corps campgrounds down south this year based on forum recommendations but I think those are ok cause we haven't heard otherwise from the reservation system.

I hope that they find a way to work it out in Minnesota--seems like the state system might be able to swing it. I don't know anything about MN state parks, in MI we have an annual pass that helps the park system(the pass works for our family as we are always fishing, camping, etc at state parks though it can dissuade out of state/infrequent park visitors).

Hope to hear more! Thanks Bob.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:15 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Sun Valley , Idaho
Sad to hear

Wow, not a good thing to hear. We Love the Corps Parks, use them all the
time when in Texas and wherever we can find them. Hope they can work it
all out. Heading south soon, Happy Trails, John & Betty Sun Valley, Id.
Bettymsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Same thing here in the Atlanta area. The Corps announced last week that four of the lesser-used camgrounds on Lake Allatoona and Lake Lanier will not be opening this year. It's just a tiny fraction of their total campground sites in the area, but you still hate to hear it.
HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:04 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
In related news, USACE is looking for campground hosts in the Silver Springs, Florida campground. This is a freebie postion, but you get to camp for free there, for up to 6 months at a time. It is a cake job, all you have to do is verify reservations when people show up to camp. Too bad this isn't all it would take to keep the campgrounds open in Minn and Ga.
Here is more info:
Campground Hosts -Ocala National Forest Silver Springs, FL

Location:Silver Springs, FL 34488Start Date:6/15/2005End Date:OngoingRecord Date:6/17/2005Partner:http://[IMG]http://www.volunteer.gov....gif[/IMG] FSContact:bbush@fs.fed.us (352) 625-2520 Activities:• Campground Host
• Construction/Maintenance
• Trail/Campground Maintenance
• Visitor Information
Details:Location Description
Ocala National Forest is 383,000 scenic acres in central Florida. Between the river boundaries of this forest lie central highlands, coastal lowlands, swamps, springs, and hundreds of lakes and ponds. The mild winters attract many "snowbirds" to the numerous campgrounds on the Ocala. The Ocala National Forest has an active year-round volunteer program. Volunteers are needed to serve as campground hosts. There is a lot of competition for winter positions. Those who can stay for a minimum of six months get first consideration. Summer positions almost always available and incentives available for those that stay in the hot months. Volunteers also needed for trails maintenance, recreation maintenance, and visitor services.

Position Description
Campground Hosts, Trail Maintenance, Visitor Services
Old 03-26-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Thumbs down What I think is not polite!!!!

That's what's they always do--- close down-- reduce services on things we like or use or need . That way we yell at those we voted in, so then they raise fees or restore services & promise us the world if we vote for them again. Theyre our hero's . You mean to tell me that the pork barrels are empty ? What a joke the whole thing is becoming. Incompetent the whole bunch . Let's just give the whole country to those coming over the South wall . What's the use. Man this can start my fire!!!!!!!!

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:24 AM   #7
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP9K
Same thing here in the Atlanta area. The Corps announced last week that four of the lesser-used camgrounds on Lake Allatoona and Lake Lanier will not be opening this year. It's just a tiny fraction of their total campground sites in the area, but you still hate to hear it.
Do you know which ones in the Atlanta area will be closing? There are several good ones, and, of course, I do have my favorites!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote