Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
Thumbs up Thank You MasseyFarm

as a newbie, i've been devouring these forum threads like candy.
and I have to say that the posts on this particular thread have been the Most valuable things that i think i have learned here. you always realize that 'anything' can (and does) happen when you spend so many hours over the road, but reading of incidents that actually DID happen to so many of you will make me (I hope!) a much more cognizant and alert driver.
thank you all for taking the time to post your stories and to the OP M.F. for initiating such an enlightening conversation.

(ALWAYS expect the unexpected!)
Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #62
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the AF Dobber. You are off to a great start.

Some of the incidents you will read about in this thread also make colorful stories while sitting around the campfire.

Defensive driving, good planning, and being alert to possible pitfalls are a must, but &^% happens.

But you have to go to experience that AIRSTREAM life.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
as a newbie, i've been devouring these forum threads like candy.
and I have to say that the posts on this particular thread have been the Most valuable things that i think i have learned here. you always realize that 'anything' can (and does) happen when you spend so many hours over the road, but reading of incidents that actually DID happen to so many of you will make me (I hope!) a much more cognizant and alert driver.
thank you all for taking the time to post your stories and to the OP M.F. for initiating such an enlightening conversation.

(ALWAYS expect the unexpected!)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I posted this on the Andersen Hitch thread, but it sort of fits here also.

All most an incident report.
I was driving home from camping weekend before last, speed 60 MPH, dry 4 lane divided highway, minimal wind when I had a pick-up truck in front of me lose a ladder out the back. This all happened so fast that I was running on pure instinct. First impulse was to hit the brakes hard. At the same time I made a rapid correction to the right trying to stay out of the path of the ladder. The ladder just cleared both the TV and trailer high on the left side. I continued the course correction back in to my lane after the ladder went past and then pulled over to the side of the road to get my breath back and my heart rate back to somewhat normal.
Both the TV and the trailer felt very solid and totally in control. My 2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost has anti-sway/braking control and uses a Ford factory trailer brake controller. Out of the corner of my eye while making the wild maneuvers I noticed lights on my dash flashing on and off and I could feel the brake pedal modulating under my foot. I am assuming that was the TV anti-sway/braking control working. This was the first real test of my trailer brakes after going thru lots of $$$ and several months getting them working. Thanks to Foley Airstream in Gulfport, Mississippi for the excellent job on the trailer brakes.
The combination of the TV anti-sway/braking control capabilities, properly working trailer brakes and the Andersen WD hitch system all worked perfectly. I am pretty sure that any of these systems had not been working at 100% I would have been in real trouble. My faith in my total towing package has gone up a large notch.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #64
1 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Rockford , Illinois
On our way to Yellowstone last year, somewhere in Wyoming, I was following an RV that was towing two trailers. As we proceeded down a fairly steep hill, it began to get very windy and the RV's second trailer was wiping side to side, crossing the center line time and time again. The trailer was carrying two large 4 wheelers, that were tied down very well, because they stayed put as the trailer went back and forth, almost tipping over on one wheel. I stayed far behind so I had enough space, in case he dumped it, which he didn't. Needless to say I was shaken at the sight, and how easily I could have been next to him when that gust of wind came through. I will forever be extra cautious of vehicles with two trailers, luckily only a few states allow it!!
Little Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
This happened to us in the early 1970s on a road in Wisconsin, approaching "Y" intersection, no shoulders, two lane road, 2 A.M, single axle trailer wheel bearings fail, lodging tire and hub in wheel well.

I get out two wheeler and push down hard on rear bumper of trailer to take some weight off springs so wife can creep the Tow vehicle into the center of the "Y".

At that time in Missouri you had to have your name, hometown and gross weight on the side of the truck, (remember those magnetic signs?)

Not another car in sight. A state trooper appears, rolls down his window and says over his loud speaker, (And this is a direct quote): "Jim Lee, get this sheet off the highway."

I stop, look at him and say, "What the +#$% do you think I'm trying to do!"

He rolls up his window and drives away.

You know the rest of the story, got the old bearing and race off, fixed it, and went on our way meeting up with some friends further down the road.

As we entered Iowa at Dubuque later that next evening, Our friend who was leading the convoy pulled into the Sears store parking lot (The store at that time was right at the bridge on the Iowa side) and stopped.

We all followed him in. He pulled out his Rand McNally motor atlas and tore the Wisconsin map out saying, "I'm never going back to Wisconsin!"

And you know, he never did!

We get a lot of laughs telling that story over the campfire. Dang it was hot that night also, I was sweating up a storm!

That was over 40 years ago. It also convinced me of the value of a tandem axle trailer!
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
When I was a teenager, I was riding with my dad while towing the Airstream they had at the time. We were on a three lane road - one north lane, one south lane, one center turn lane. We were going north, and we watched as an SUV towing a utility trailer coming south lost its trailer - that is, we watched the trailer come off the ball and roll behind the SUV for a while. Dad hit the brakes, but if that trailer had rolled in our direction, there wasn't anything he really could've done to avoid it - if we didn't hit it head on, it probably would've gotten the rear wheels or the camper. Fortunately it went to its right, instead, off the road. SUV kept going, oblivious. I wonder how long they went before noticing their trailer was gone, and whether they learned their lesson.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #67
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Paula/s mirror kiss brings back an old memory of an incident that occurred
about mid-day in the late spring of 1981.

I was hauling 12000 Imp. gallons of gas with a 8 axle Super B Train, c/o Freightliner, south out of the Nanaimo terminal. In those days, Nichol St. was not level across the lanes, and with the double trailers, one had to stay close to the curb to keep the rear trailer from tracking out of the lane. The city, with great pride, had planted a number of ornamental trees between the curb and the sidewalk which got trimmed with every passing truck. As I reached the edge of the city speed zone I could see some teenagers standing among the ornamental trees. Just as I approached, one pushed the speed sign out into my lane and broke the big convex and swung the west coast mirror back against the window.
Like Paula, I was terrified, that it might have also ripped the tanker wall and possibly spraying gasoline.

Expecting the worst, I stopped as quick as I could and jumped out to inspect the damage.

Only the broken mirror glass, and now, not a sign of the idiots that caused the problem.

Dave
Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #68
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
The fishing on VI was good until the place got too crowded. (not me)

http://goo.gl/maps/zIdw0
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!cid_7BE18D26384F48BC9480165F913CD476@roleyPC.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	173857   Click image for larger version

Name:	!cid_143C9419406F4E9697EC0693B2D152D3@roleyPC.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	173858  

Name:	!cid_ACAAE798B18447CFAD56E301BD6A579B@roleyPC.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	173859   Click image for larger version

Name:	!cid_AF23765F65C84E8D836248A29BF91ADD@roleyPC.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	173860  

Name:	!cid_FDA66601F8514D178057A56C5A7C36A1@roleyPC.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	173861  
Old 12-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Nice RACKS!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #70
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
How's this for a Google shot on Hwy 15 in BC?

The truck driver was lucky that the rear of the load did not break free before he makes the right turn furthur down the hill, approx. 3/4 mile north of this shot.

How would you like to have that round bale of hay, (3000#+) coming at you as you travel in the fast lane heading south?

Just a reminder to stay awake when you are on the road.

Google Maps

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...47.79,,0,17.91

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
Old 01-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #71
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Help from Above

This was beyond the close call category, but thought it was interesting enough to post what happens in Newfoundland, when you are a long way out of town and away from the services they offer that we all take for granted.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 01-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Amazing!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Ours happened up in Alaska this past summer.
We were driving in the Kenai peninsula (Alaska), returning from Homer and heading up north towards Anchorage with our Jeep Commander towing a 21 ft. AS, when out of nowhere, a mother moose crossed the road.
Both my wife and me thought we would crash into the moose. I slammed on the brakes and tried to steer the car in the direction where the moose was coming from, hoping that the moose would keep running and not freeze up like a deer. We still don't know how but miraculously, we avoided the moose. It must have been a matter of inches.

When I looked back in my rear view mirror, I noticed 2 baby moose standing on the side of the road ... luckily they had decided to not follow their mother across the road, otherwise they surely would have ended up right in front of us!

Lesson learned: always pay attention, animals come out of nowhere. And thank the higher powers if you make it out alive and without damage
jornvango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #74
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I think Moose and Horses are the worst thing to contact as they have such long legs, the body usually comes through the windshield. Many people killed in these collisions. No need for examples, but many available if you do a Google search for some bad results.

I remember, as a teen, I was with my buddy in his Austin 40? and we hit a horse and it went right over the roof, taking out the headlamp and denting the front/hood and roof area above the windshield on my side. Scary stuff!

Dave

[QUOTE=jornvango;1401093]Ours happened up in Alaska this past summer.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:39 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
This was beyond the close call category, but thought it was interesting enough to post what happens in Newfoundland, when you are a long way out of town and away from the services they offer that we all take for granted.
Nice video. That water drop had to do some additional damage to the vehicles, but I guess the options were (1) damage them with the weight of water, or (2) watch them be destroyed by fire and possibly explode or set something else aflame. Wow.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #76
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
This guy lost a little off the top.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #77
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Not AIRSTREAM specific, but the season in here and the message is to 'SLOW DOWN'.

It's scary out there in the bad weather!

Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=hvhRHiskRIc
Old 11-26-2015, 09:11 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Newroswell. Interesting video, we were in that line of cars about 5 or 6 cars up waiting. The guys with the pick ups did a good job helping him. We had our trailers at that time but were not pulling during that trip. We both reminded ourselves to watch the sides as we take turns.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #79
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
How about this interesting story of just about missing an appointment, and the solution found.

https://airstreamfamily.com.au/2013/03/15/registration/

Dave