Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel

I am heading to Virginia Beach next week and I would like to take the Chesapeke Bridge tunnel. I know they have a compressed gas limit and I believe my two 40 pounders meet the guidelines. It states that they inspect at the toll plaza, and my concern is that I get their and they make me turn around. Anyone having experience with this trip, I would appreciate their input..

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Who cut the cheese

Hi Reg,

I have made the trip back and forth many times and have never been inspected, stopped or questioned. I do believe turning the tank valves off is prudent.

Safe travels,

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:00 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
My experience has been the same as Michael's. Have never been stopped, though I do turn the gas supply off. The fare is $20.00 one way. The two other tunnels around here - the Monitor Merrimac and the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel - do require that you stop and at least acknowledge that the tanks are off. If you miss the stop, you'll be pulled over as I was. But that is another story!! Jack
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
waynesboro , Virginia
I have been through the tunnels on the Bridge and on I64 heading into VA beach, at the tunnel on 64 they always stop me, checking to see that my propane is turned off, otherwise no further inspection.....
waltero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Reganzo

Just be for warned if you intend to use the Delaware Memorial Bridge to leave NJ do not use your E Z pass. The bridge charges double the normal toll for any vehicle towing a trailer. Your toll for the 34 should be $7.50 but with EZ Pass it will register $15.00.

Along those lines the Easton bridge should be $1.75 but will charge you $10.50, Maine turnpike will charge you as an 18 wheeler. On these 2 it's the third axle that gets you in trouble. So as a general rule if I have not personnel check the toll on any system I do not use E Z Pass. Yes you can get a refund once you get your bill but that takes time.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
UUMM< E Z Pass, I remember those days, leaving in the north east bronx while my wife was in medical school....

Glad we don't have tolls out here, well there is one in denver but other than that,,, YEAHH...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reganzo View Post
I am heading to Virginia Beach next week and I would like to take the Chesapeke Bridge tunnel. I know they have a compressed gas limit and I believe my two 40 pounders meet the guidelines. It states that they inspect at the toll plaza, and my concern is that I get their and they make me turn around. Anyone having experience with this trip, I would appreciate their input..

Regards,

Reganzo
I went through the bridge tunnel last fall. It is a very nice drive. Your tanks are fine (I have 40s as well) and you will have to turn them off before crossing.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
thanks

Michael,

I always turn off the tanks when I travel. I am new to Airstreaming and I favor caution. I use a cooler that runs of the 12 volt to keep our milk and perishables cold till we get to our destination. Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Reganzo and Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Hi Reg,

I have made the trip back and forth many times and have never been inspected, stopped or questioned. I do believe turning the tank valves off is prudent.

Safe travels,

Michael
Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
thanks

I was in the Navy and have taken the bridge/tunnel many times. This will be the first with my 34' trailer, and I am looking forward to the run. Thanks for sharing...

Regards,

Reganzo and Franny

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
I went through the bridge tunnel last fall. It is a very nice drive. Your tanks are fine (I have 40s as well) and you will have to turn them off before crossing.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Don't schedule too tightly

We crossed the bridge/tunnel with the Airstream last January. No problems with propane, but we were not allowed to start our crossing until high wind warnings were lifted. At the time, all motorhomes and vehicles with anything in tow or roof racks were required to wait in the parking lot. Our wait was 2 hours ... still a lot less than backtracking... and we experienced no handling problems during the crossing. 18 wheelers were allowed to cross during the warnings.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
No prblm with propane

Hi,

We went thru the tunnel several months ago and the only thing was when we stopped to pay the toll the lady asked us if we had turned the tanks off at the valve (which we had).

We normally run with the propane on for the frig, but had read where the tunnel wants it off so when we stopped for gas a while before the bridge we shut the tanks off then.

Still seems tight down in the tunnel though, especially when meeting trucks so take it easy with your 34...

regards, Dave
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
We made it

Just to let all interested Franny and me crossed the Bay Bridge tunnel last night at 8pm without a hitch. At the toll the nice lady asked if our gas was tuned off, and wished us well. The only delay was construction on the first tunnel and we had to wait 20 mins. We are in the Virginia Beach KOA, and other than a water leak under the sink that flooded the inside of the trailer in the time it took me to run back outside and turn off the city water. A compression union let loose. 2 hours of cleaning up water soaked possessions later.... Welcome to Airstreaming I guess...

Regards,

Reganzo and Franny