Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Central FL: Ft DeSoto review

We will be camping at Ft DeSoto this weekend, any one interested in my doing a review?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
We will be camping at Ft DeSoto this weekend, any one interested in my doing a review?

I did one several years ago, an updated review would be good.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Yes, and there is a separate site pet area.

>>ron<<
Old 10-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
We were there in September. Such a clean, well cared for Pinellas County campground. No wonder it is always booked up and hard to get into. You can pull your boat up to some of the sites like ours, which was 184, and leave it there. Kayaks can be launched from most waterfront sites. Every site had a grill, but no campfire ring. You could rent a washtub from the camp store to use, or bring your own. Lots of trees between sites for privacy. Campers with pets have their own loop. Showers and bathrooms were clean and well maintained. Beautiful beaches, the old fort and mangrove tunnels to kayak are in the park but a short drive or bike ride from the campground. It rained quite a bit while we were there but the ground absorbed the water rather quickly. We wanted to go back the next weekend!
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #5

Ft. DeSoto review

I would like to hear your impressions. please review
scornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
St Petersburg , Florida
review

Yes. I have been trying to get a reservation and they are booked. At least I can hear what I am missing.

Quote:

StreamRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Quote:

Yes, Please. We are visiting Florida in our airstream in January. On their web site it says no alcohol, is this really true.?
ssopko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
We were there October a year ago and had absolutely no problem with drinking. Of course, we were not loud and obnoxious and I'm sure that would make a difference. It's a great camp ground and enjoyed watching dolphins and sharks (yes sharks) go by. Pulled our boat up to our campsite and had a wonderful time. You will not have ANY problem with the alcohol, trust me!

Let the good times roll! Laura & Tom
Old 10-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Central FL: Ft DeSoto review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssopko View Post
Yes, Please. We are visiting Florida in our airstream in January. On their web site it says no alcohol, is this really true.?

I saw folks walking around with beer bottles in there hands, given it was at night. My experience is that many parks have that rule in place so they have justification to boot folks who drink to much and are a pain. Now with that said, I think there may also be a county law limiting drinking in county parks. So you would want to be sly about it.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:32 AM   #10
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
As someone who lives here, we have been there several times. It's a nice park. But getting a site is a pain. We also where not really impressed with it. It's crowded and noisy most of the time, especially on weekends. There is a good amount of foliage usually between the campsites, but they are tight. While they're waterfront views, it's not much of an impressive view IMO. As first time owners, we had some trouble backing into the sites the first go around. Like I said, the loop for the sites doesn't leave a lot of room, the sites themselves don't leave much space for getting it wrong. And because it's busy you'll usually be holding someone up who is impatient to get around you.

Frankly, I feel it's an over rated park by folks from out of state. There are better parks in Florida.

But if you are a kayaker or want to rent kayak's, the Mango groves are so much fun! And it isn't a bad spot for a cookout picnic on the beach.

YMV
Old 10-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
We stayed a couple of years ago during the first weekend of Jan in site 199. We made the reservation 6 months in advance. Yes the sites are close but most county and state parks are close. The water view from our site was nice as well as the beaches. Bathroom rooms were clean. Great bike riding for those who ride. I tried to get reservations for Jan 2015 but waited too late.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Frankly, I feel it's an over rated park by folks from out of state. There are better parks in Florida.
I stay at Ft. De Soto every year it is the best I have found so far.

Not to let the local cat out of the bag but would consider posting those you consider better.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Ft Desoto is one of our favorite campgrounds. We've camped there 6-7 times (the last time in Feb 2014). The vegetation is very lush - almost a tropical jungle feeling. Lots of big oak trees and palms. Some waterfront sites do have much of the lower view obscured by mangroves but you will learn once you grade all the sites, which sites are mangrove free (or have breaks in the mangroves) for future reservations. Bike trails are great. Bathrooms clean. Beaches are fantastic. Not extremely wide sites but we've never had a problem with our 25' trailer. Lots of Class A motorhomes come here and do have to be careful in backing into their site. Bring a fire pit or rent one there if you want a fire. We are former residents of St Pete and come back to visit relatives periodically. This campground is in our top 5 of any campgrounds anywhere - and we've been to many around the country. The campground is frequently fully booked which attests to its popularity. Like many national and state parks you have to book as soon as possible within the respective reservation system to get the best sites. Pinellas County (this is a county park) allows out of county residents to make reservations 6 months in advance. Check out their website - it's good and has photos of each campsite. Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have to agree with you. We did not like the place that much. The sites are a bit tight and hard to get into. The foliage blocks your view of the trailer so you can't see what you are doing. Many sites along the bay have mangroves in the way so you don't have a view. It is not easy to get to the place, since you have to drive through a big city to get there. We much prefer St Joe state park in the pan handle.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
As someone who lives here, we have been there several times. It's a nice park. But getting a site is a pain. We also where not really impressed with it. It's crowded and noisy most of the time, especially on weekends. There is a good amount of foliage usually between the campsites, but they are tight. While they're waterfront views, it's not much of an impressive view IMO. As first time owners, we had some trouble backing into the sites the first go around. Like I said, the loop for the sites doesn't leave a lot of room, the sites themselves don't leave much space for getting it wrong. And because it's busy you'll usually be holding someone up who is impatient to get around you.

But if you are a kayaker or want to rent kayak's, the Mango groves are so much fun! And it isn't a bad spot for a cookout picnic on the beach.

YMV
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
That is what my father said made horse racing, "a difference of opinion"

My money is on Ft. De Soto.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
I'm with you Howie! We had a great experience! The campground map I felt was very clear on the sites that were blocked by the mangroves and those that had an unobstructed view. We were thrilled with our site and felt it to be very private!

Let the good times roll! Laura & Tom
Old 10-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Question.....If you get stuck on a interior site is there an area within a short walk that would allow you to take a chair to the waterfront to enjoy an evening beverage?
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #18
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Define short walk, because no.

The camp sites have a good amount of foilage between them which adds a good amount of privacy. But they are still very close together, IMO. We had rowdy neighbors, I felt the sound traveled more than some of the more open camp grounds where the sites are more spread out.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbcpa View Post
Question.....If you get stuck on a interior site is there an area within a short walk that would allow you to take a chair to the waterfront to enjoy an evening beverage?

You could walk to the camp store area which is central to all the loops and throw a chair out on the water at the boat channel. A wide water vista would require a short car or bike ride out the entrance.
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1414554535.977253.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	225327So we really enjoyed our trip to Ft DeSoto Camp grounds. We got a pull through site, and it seemed huge. The sites have 20, 30, and 50 Amp service with water. The sites and roads are well packed crushed shell and road base. Our site was pretty level and a .5" board under the curb side wheels made us dead level.

The sites and bathrooms were clean and well kept. We stayed in the pet section, and had no problems with having to large dogs.

Many of the sites are on the water, but as noted above some have mangroves and/or just a trail leading into the water. It should be noted on the pet side it is not a true beach with nice white sand.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1414553653.157845.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	657.1 KB
ID:	225324

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1414553896.091356.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	754.0 KB
ID:	225325

The sites are well shaded, with a real tropical old Florida feel. There is some great really old trees.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1414554264.642352.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	225326