Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Cell booster info needed

After spending 5 weeks on the road to the balloon fiesta in NM, and boondocking most of the time, it became painfully evident we are lacking signal strength. We would like to get a signal booster for the airstream but would also like something for the TV while on the road. Does anyone make such a unit that is portable and can be pulled into the TV while on the road then used in the TT once on site?
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Weboost is a leading name. We have the RV Drive version. It boosts our signal to let us surf in marginal areas.
That said, you will be disappointed if you don’t read the volumes written on this forum about limitations. These ain’t you home WiFi connection.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
Weboost is a leading name. We have the RV Drive version. It boosts our signal to let us surf in marginal areas.
Yep, Weboost or something similar is needed. I have a weboost in my pickup. Then I have it set up to move to AS. But remember, you have to be within 3’ of the inside antenna to get a good signal. So it won’t work like the home WIFI. And you will need to figure out an outside antenna. I have a portable one that I can set up quickly. Hardly ever use it though since coverage seems to be improving. And frankly if you are in a remote area the only thing that will help is satellite. I use the weboost primarily to enhance cell phone use. I don’t have as many dropped calls moving from one tower to another tower. I do lots of business in my pickup since I travel for work. The weboost does improve cell phone coverage while in the pickup. So it has been worth it.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have a one-device WeBoost that is quickly mobile and works just as advertised.

It has drawn functioning signal even where none appeared to exist, and I wouldn’t travel without it.

Maggie
Old 11-10-2021, 05:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Also check out this option. This SureCall comes with the RV and Car kit.

SureCall Fusion2Go 3.0 Cell Phone Signal Booster for Vehicle | Whole vehicle coverage for multiple devices | Boosts Voice, data for 4G, LTE, 3G, Model:SC-FUSION2GO3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079TKG6Q5...HX7H1YWC?psc=1

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:46 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Trophy Club , Texas
Definitely recommend the WEBoost. Have one in our FC30RBT… but it only works If there is a cell signal in the first place for it to amplify. As others have responded only works in close proximity to the internal antenna. Our digital tv antenna woks great, it’s the one that came with our AS…get out there and enjoy!
Hensley Arrow
“Tomorrow is not promised”
Ch47d1sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:31 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Are you just using your cellphone or a hotspot? We have found that the best option for us that is relatively simple, is to have two hotspots (ATT and Verizon) plus a rooftop MIMO antenna (Poynting). the rooftop antenna has LTE wires that come into the trailer and plug into the hotspots using SMA to TS-9 adapters. The rooftop antenna adds roughly 1 bar of signal. When we get to a new spot, I turn on both hotspots and see which has the strongest signal and then plug the antenna into that hotspot and turn the other off. Devices connect to hotspot via wifi. Downside is the carrying cost of two hotspots.
psy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:32 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Shelburne , Vermont
We went back and forth, trying to figure out the benefits of Weboost over Airstream Connect, and ended up going w/ AS Connect. It has slots for two different carriers (we use Verizon & AT&T) which makes a world of difference (if you can't pick up one carrier, odds are you'll get the other) since as others have pointed out these systems only enhance an existing signal. We recently traveled cross country, VT to So. Cal, both of us working as we went, boondocked whenever we could, and had very few issues with our internet (Utah being the exception). There are other systems that offer the dual carrier option, so no matter who you go with I'd strongly recommend going that route.

Good luck, and, happy boondocking!
BambiVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We have been "looking" for the right solution for last 5 years...Weboost comes up a lot. Our primary use is cell service and using our phones as "hotspots" when stopped, so we can also run our PCs on the phone internet and also use for streaming movies on Amazon or Netflix, mainly. We have also tried Youtube TV and Hulu; both are expensive compared to Dish TV with the Wally receiver which you can turn on/off as needed while on the road and carry the balance forward. We have the Tailgater portable sat. dish and the stand; works great if you have clear view of the southern sky!

We have an unlimited data plan with ATT which we use for email while traveling and streaming as I mentioned; but still we only use about 6-8GB max in a month of travel...our rate is typically around $130/mo for 2 phones with our Military/Vet discount. There are some places where the Weboost or something like it would amplify the week signal to our phones, which is why I am interested. Just have not found an easy way everyone agrees with to: 1) install the antenna and run wires inside. 2) why some folks insist on a seperate wifi unit when using the phone as a Hotspot works fine. Its just the signal amplification that is important...what am I missing?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #10

2004 25' Safari
Manhattan Beach , California
Just wait for STARLINK. Prolly next year. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Newport Beach , California
Satellite Internet and TV

Yes - Weboost works well for internet - but you can easily eat up your monthly data with one movive. It can be really expensive to go that way and there are few true unlimited cellular data plans any more. Most are capped at 20gb.

Why not look at a satellite provider that offers both - internet and tv? Their antennas are different than regular satellite TV but still small and portable. Very popular in analog days - then hard to get with the start of digital - but now affordable. HughesNet is one of the popular ones.
CalifBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
You won’t find universal agreement on boosters or their placement nor their utility. We use ours in places where we have one or two bars and it turns it 8a to three or four.

We used the Sat cable input on the trailer and hooked the booster to the other end of that. We installed the inside antenna over the dinette and the booster itself in the overhead locker where the Sat cable pre wire terminates. Outside we hook a extension pole with a directional antenna from WeBoost attached to it, something like a telescoping window washing pole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	787FFB4E-98CA-4F06-AB4E-556ED8FE6BD6.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	407843  
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
We have WeBoost. It’s meh. Have signal? It can enhance it a bit. A very weak signal isn’t good enough. And you have to be sitting next to the inside antenna. Fortunately, we don’t need it for our jobs.

This is our experience. YMMV.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
thanks all
Old 11-10-2021, 05:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
If possible would love to see those portable hook ups when going from TV to TT. What seems to be our biggest issue is we have signal when outside the trailer but once inside we lose signal and call eyc
Old 11-10-2021, 08:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Aldie , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch47d1sg View Post
Our digital tv antenna woks great, it’s the one that came with our AS…get out there and enjoy!
If you don't mind me asking; and my trailer isn't available for me right now to check the wiring (it's at dealer for warranty work,) how/where is the roof antennae coming into your trailer? Is it a simple feed to the television, which I can disconnect and repurpose to an internal mobile hotspot or booster?

Ian
(former) 2013 Ford F150 ecoboost
(former/traded) 2011 Airstream International Serenity 28RBQ
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarney View Post
Just wait for STARLINK. Prolly next year. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
I remember when Motorola was launching Starlink back in the day...still waiting....this also will mean "new hardware" and subscriptions, right?$$$??
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-11-2021, 09:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
You won’t find universal agreement on boosters or their placement nor their utility. We use ours in places where we have one or two bars and it turns it 8a to three or four.

We used the Sat cable input on the trailer and hooked the booster to the other end of that. We installed the inside antenna over the dinette and the booster itself in the overhead locker where the Sat cable pre wire terminates. Outside we hook a extension pole with a directional antenna from WeBoost attached to it, something like a telescoping window washing pole.
I understand the antenna outside plugged into the SAT or Cable connection; not clear on the "booster" inside location; is it above the dinette as shown or is it in the radio/DVD player compartment. How is it attached via the cable connection inside; below the table outlet and run the wire back behind the lounge up thru the cabinet and where it gets power?
Old 11-11-2021, 09:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifBob View Post
Yes - Weboost works well for internet - but you can easily eat up your monthly data with one movive. It can be really expensive to go that way and there are few true unlimited cellular data plans any more. Most are capped at 20gb.

Why not look at a satellite provider that offers both - internet and tv? Their antennas are different than regular satellite TV but still small and portable. Very popular in analog days - then hard to get with the start of digital - but now affordable. HughesNet is one of the popular ones.
ATT has a Military or Veteran's plan. I have unlimited data as I mentioned earlier, for $130/ month for 2 phones. May be better plans out there, but I have not found one for data. When not traveling, we use about 3GB/month without streaming movies. When traveling with the AS (and assuming we have a 1-2bar signal at least), we stream Netflix or Amazon series or movies; we use the phones as hot spots a lot of the time and use maybe 8-10GB a month. I don't work from my PC, but I do follow a lot of internet. We don't stream every night. I will use the Dish Networks Wally Satellite receiver and Tailgater antenna, as I mentioned earlier. Once set up (30+ min typically first time to get it working) it will dial in fairly fast on each stop, depending on clear view of southern sky; I have basic service with ESPN and it runs around $48-$55/month depending on my use of the sports channels...(I don't get this ESPN except for football season.)

I will look into getting the weboost now along with the extension pole and plug into the outside sat/cable connection- Dahhh...not sure why I was thinking I would need to run a separate wire thru the roof somewhere!
Old 11-16-2021, 06:56 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

North Fayston , Vermont
We have had our WeBoost for over five years. We bought the kit, then an extra indoor antenna, outdoor antenna and a power cord. The expensive part is the booster box. The rest is less than $100. We set up the kit in our truck. Then we used the extra parts to set up in the trailer. We move the booster box, by just unscrewing the cords or pulling them out and move the box to the trailer.

We now have a telescoping pole attached to the trailer. When we are parked we put on the directional antenna and the wire which is connected to a port to enter the trailer. Inside we leave set up the wire that connects with the one on the outside, the interior antenna, and power cord. We bring the booster box inside from the truck, hook up the wires, turn it on and we are good to go. It takes 5 - 10 minutes to set up, mainly becasue we have to attach the outside antenna to the pole, attach the wire and then raise it up. HOpe this helps. We have been very happy with our set up.
northfayston is offline   Reply With Quote