Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2021, 10:07 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
The Cable TV connector goes through a splitter somewhere inside the trailer so you’d want to use the Sat connector (and find the other end) or find and remove that splitter replacing it with a barrel connector.

I think the pole selection is a personal choice. Mine is a telescoping fiberglass pole from HD but I don’t think that’s super important. Higher is better, of course. Yes you certainly need to get above your trailer. After that it’s diminishing returns but higher might get you above your neighbors rig if you park in tight RV parks.

You’ll need a way to attach the pole to the trailer. I use this suction cup and velcro straps. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HNRB2CJ...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks; I will look for the connection. As for securing the antenna pole, Steamy's post above yours has great suggestion for using my Fiama bike rack seat holder; have you tried that?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:33 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
First picture is how I connected the antenna pole. Ordered another Fiamma support through Amazon.

Second picture is the antenna deployed at Sea Perch south of Yachats, OR. It was the only way I could participate in a 4 hour Zoom call. Without it, we could not connect.

Note that I used an omni directional antenna instead of the yagi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02390.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	481.4 KB
ID:	409613   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02460_LI (2).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	409614  

Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
First picture is how I connected the antenna pole. Ordered another Fiamma support through Amazon.

Second picture is the antenna deployed at Sea Perch south of Yachats, OR. It was the only way I could participate in a 4 hour Zoom call. Without it, we could not connect.

Note that I used an omni directional antenna instead of the yagi.
We love the Sea Perch RV resort and use a Wilson with yagi pointed at the ATT tower to the north.

I really like your clean antenna install..
DonRich7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:29 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRich7878 View Post
We love the Sea Perch RV resort and use a Wilson with yagi pointed at the ATT tower to the north.

I really like your clean antenna install..
Sea Perch is great! We liked what seemed like a private beach. Only a couple of people and an occasional dog at any given time.

Do you think the yagi works better than the omni? I have the yagi that came with the kit but have not used it yet.
Old 12-21-2021, 02:48 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
Sea Perch is great! We liked what seemed like a private beach. Only a couple of people and an occasional dog at any given time.

Do you think the yagi works better than the omni? I have the yagi that came with the kit but have not used it yet.

The yagi is a directional antenna with significantly higher gain and performance, over the omni directional with equal gain in all directions. The omni is much easier to use because of this feature.

Just because you get a strong signal from a particular direction using a yagi, doesn't always mean the tower you are pointing at supports the carrier or service you need, resulting in a trial and error / point and poke setup procedure.

I guess you might say, I use a yagi antenna for same reason the toyota truck guys use premium gas.
Old 12-21-2021, 02:58 PM   #46
Rivet Master

thanks; I'll have to play around with the omni and the yagi sometime. I like the omni because I don't have to think about it too much, but sounds like I am sacrificing performance.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:37 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Cell booster info needed

The usual cynical Ham radio operator description of any omnidirectional antenna is, “one that works equally badly in all directions.” Been there done that…

It is true they are convenient to use and set up, but a decent yagi properly aimed will beat it easily.

That said, under decent conditions it’s surprisingly easy to use simple antennas. Our silver ham shack roof is populated with several simple omnidirectional antennas for short range communications. For serious long distance stuff the setup gets a lot more elaborate (as in heavy, big, and hard to set up).
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:20 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Thanks; I will look for the connection. As for securing the antenna pole, Steamy's post above yours has great suggestion for using my Fiama bike rack seat holder; have you tried that?
That does seem like a good option. I dont have a bike rack so it’s not an option for me.

I will say that depending on where your internal antenna is and the power of your booster you may have to move your antenna to be as far as possible from the internal antenna. I have a FB25 and have to have my outside pole up at the front of the trailer to avoid feedback with the internal antenna over the rear dinette. I have the most powerful booster available, though.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 07:15 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
This is a great discussion, but as a casual user, I am left wondering: How do you measure the performance of these systems, especially the directional ones.
Staring at the (slow to update) bars on our cellphones or watching the website failure-to-load screens doesn't cut it.
Thanks.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:19 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Arivaca , Arizona
Weboost outdoor antennae

Quote:
Originally Posted by northfayston View Post
We have had our WeBoost for over five years. We bought the kit, then an extra indoor antenna, outdoor antenna and a power cord. The expensive part is the booster box. The rest is less than $100. We set up the kit in our truck. Then we used the extra parts to set up in the trailer. We move the booster box, by just unscrewing the cords or pulling them out and move the box to the trailer.

We now have a telescoping pole attached to the trailer. When we are parked we put on the directional antenna and the wire which is connected to a port to enter the trailer. Inside we leave set up the wire that connects with the one on the outside, the interior antenna, and power cord. We bring the booster box inside from the truck, hook up the wires, turn it on and we are good to go. It takes 5 - 10 minutes to set up, mainly becasue we have to attach the outside antenna to the pole, attach the wire and then raise it up. HOpe this helps. We have been very happy with our set up.
How do you attach the Weboost drive outside antennae (magnetic) to the aluminum body?
Also, does the basecamp have an external cable port?
Oldhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:32 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhip View Post
How do you attach the Weboost drive outside antennae (magnetic) to the aluminum body?
Your Basecamp should have a SAT and CABLE port by your city water port? You don't want/have ability for magnetic to the AS; thats why your seeing the discussion about the telescoping pole and directional or Omni directional antenna at the top.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 12-23-2021, 12:17 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhip View Post
Some of the WeBoost antennas have hardware meant to clamp to a round tube, like a mirror on a truck. Turns out that clamps nicely to this suction cup.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:26 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

North Fayston , Vermont
Weboost telescoping pole

Here is a picture of our set up. We used the old tv antenna brackets to attach a telescoping awning pole. The port where we attach the wire from the outside antenna is next to the top bracket on the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4921.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	409672  
northfayston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:27 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

North Fayston , Vermont
Sorry about the picture, but it was right side up when I loaded it.
northfayston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:59 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
This is a great discussion, but as a casual user, I am left wondering: How do you measure the performance of these systems, especially the directional ones.
Staring at the (slow to update) bars on our cellphones or watching the website failure-to-load screens doesn't cut it.
Thanks.

Depending on who your carrier is and the data device, iphone or verizon jetpack for example, the data device often has a built in signal level meter. I also use the Opensignal Ap https://www.opensignal.com/apps#section-os-app which can be used to determine if you can get away with a omni or will need a yagi, and general direction of the cell towers. Even if you had a spectrum analyzer https://avcomofva.com/products/porta...ers/psaseries/, you will still wind up using a trial and error / point and poke method of set up if you use a yagi..
Old 12-23-2021, 09:11 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Use your phone to find best direction of the signal.

Looking up how to find best signal, and came across this site that uses your cell phone with the Yagi to find strongest signal direction using Apple or Android.

https://www.ubersignal.com/field-test-mode
Old 12-23-2021, 09:19 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
Good find..
Old 12-23-2021, 02:33 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
DonRich7878, Gypsydad,
Great information! Thanks. I always like to try the simplest and cheapest approach first. Between the two of you, you've covered the spectrum of what my 19th century brain can manage.
BTW, it's a Verizon iPhone version something or other.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:44 PM   #59

2021 27' Globetrotter
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Hello:
Which Weboost box model did you buy?
Thank you.
egunther8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:52 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
Some of the WeBoost antennas have hardware meant to clamp to a round tube, like a mirror on a truck. Turns out that clamps nicely to this suction cup.
Yea, I think clamping to the tow mirror could be a good solution also...not sure anyone would need both the "inside" portable window antenna if they have the outside omni or directional antenna? As for which Weboost amplifier box, thats a good question...seems there are a couple here?