Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 01:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Piney Woods , Texas
Cattleman’s steakhouse Fabiens,TX

Has anyone tried the overnight boon dock option at Cattleman’s steakhouse in Fabiens TX (off of I-10). Thinking of stopping for dinner - and hoping not to hot after dark. With all the exhibits thinking they must have overnight security.
Eddie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
To directly answer your question, no, we have not stayed there.

But, we were stationed in San Angelo, Tx for about 10 years courtesy of the US Army. I spent many nights "Camping Out with the Army" back in those days in Texas. Of course, I was much younger then, but was still miserable. There's no way we could boondock in West Texas this time of year. Just too hot.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
We boondock in Texas this time of year….but only with dual Honda eu2200i generators to power 2 air conditioning units. Both AC run all night long, even without direct sun. Based on your statement, I take it that you assume the temperature drops during the evening hours. Um…not really. This time of year, the low overnight temperature could still be in the mid-80s with high high humidity. If these conditions are appealing to you, then go for it. Otherwise, Plan B is something to consider….
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We’re boondocking, moochdocking, and Crackerdocking in various spots in Texas, Alabama, and Arkansas right now. Thank goodness for a propane powered 3400 watt generator and air conditioning. It’s impossible otherwise.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Just to correct the heat and humidity element, I lived in southern New Mexico and west Texas and I know where this restaurant is. Fabens is in the desert so it will get cooler at night than suggested above and not very humid (typically anyway). But that said, it is likely to be very hot and I would not find it comfortable without A/C. Call the restaurant about security.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:21 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Well, it's 102 right now, and should drop to the lower 70's by morning. And being in the Chihuahua desert, the humidity should be < 20 percent. Got a swamp cooler on your TT?

Grew up 20 miles from Fabens. Don't go for the BIG steaks.

Sjohn
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:39 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Piney Woods , Texas
Thanks for all the responses - I think I will just do a drive by and get the “Cowboy Steak” to go. I have a Honda generator and was thinking of stopping as the sun went down, but as posted elsewhere in the forums - Airstreams take a while to cool off. Plus wife not giggy about boondocking anyway- will press on to a Van Horn RV park. (Finishing up 4 weeks in Colorado in the 25’ globestotter and headed back to East Texas). Just FYI: as a graduate of UTEP - cattlemens steakhouse steaks and their grilled green chiles are the best (worth a short detour off I-10 - plus a cool ranch as well). Thanks for all the replies.
Eddie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:37 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Back in my M&A days, I spent time in El Paso leading a “greenfield” startup of a plastic injection molding venture. Coddling prospective out-of-town investors involved running them out to Fabens to enjoy a great steak at Cattleman’s. If you got there around dusk, you could enjoy your steak inside and watch the coyotes gnaw on steak bones the help placed on picture window sills outside.
Amateur Radio Extra Class N5EAS
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
Genebuilder is online now   Reply With Quote