Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Carrying Alcohol To Alaska

For all the folks who have taken the journey from the lower 48, across Canada to Alaska, have you had any problems with the Customs folks due to the amount of adult beverages that you carry in your AS when crossing into Canada? Not that we consume copious amounts of alcohol, but the wife enjoys a glass of wine occasionally and I'd like to have a couple different brands of Bourbon for this long trip. Last thing we'd want to happen is to be in violation of Canadian laws. I read, on-line, from the official Canadian web site, what the law is and wondered if they are sticklers on this.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
All the same rules apply even if just passing through. 2 bottles of wine a 24 of beer or 1 liter of hard liquor per person over 18. I got caught out on this from travelling from Canada through the US back to Canada. Even though I bought the alcohol in Canada. The same rules apply. They don't care. Just make sure you declare everything. All your cash, alcohol, guns, what ever. If you declare it and its not allowed they will tell you. If you don't and they find it you are fined if not imprisoned (mostly on weapons). I have sometimes been over my limit by quite a bit and they let you go. Other times you pay the duty. It's hit and miss depending upon who you get. Be nice and honest.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
One thing that supersized me when going into Canada was the fact that Canada had the Juvenal records of someone traveling with us, and that was over 10 years ago. So don't try anything as they are far ahead of us when it comes to security.

On another trip as I pulled up to the custom booth the Canadian agent looked into the window and said " Mr E. where are you going this trip the last time you were going to ----." Being from NJ they had my front license plate in the computer as I approached.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I always stop at a duty-free store before entering Canada anyway. And before leaving, too.

I don't think you will have any issues as long as you don't need to carry a month's supply.

Heck - I don't have enough carrying capacity for that much, anyway.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
We will be on the road for 3 months. Usually take a store bought brand of Bourbon and one that is only available at the distilleries here in Kentucky for special occasions.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
We went to Alaska via Canada before passports were required. We completely forgot about the customs restrictions for Canada. In the past we traveled thru Canada as if it was just another state and didn't give the fact that it was a foreign country another thought. We planned to spend a couple of months in Alaska, passing thru Canada going and coming. Well, we took enough libations for the entire trip. When asked if we had anything to declare, we said "no". That was it. I don't know how it is now, but I sure wouldn't do the same thing again today.
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:42 PM   #7
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
All the same rules apply even if just passing through. 2 bottles of wine a 24 of beer or 1 liter of hard liquor per person over 18. I got caught out on this from travelling from Canada through the US back to Canada. Even though I bought the alcohol in Canada. The same rules apply. They don't care. Just make sure you declare everything. All your cash, alcohol, guns, what ever. If you declare it and its not allowed they will tell you. If you don't and they find it you are fined if not imprisoned (mostly on weapons). I have sometimes been over my limit by quite a bit and they let you go. Other times you pay the duty. It's hit and miss depending upon who you get. Be nice and honest.
Right, so if it's just the two of you, that would be one bottle of bourbon and two bottles of wine. You can also buy the stuff in Canada, though it's probably more expensive. But your dollars are worth more here. Duty free shops often have bargain prices, though. Then you face the same alcohol quota entering Alaska, back into Canada again, and back into the lower 48.

There are several threads on this forum dealing with customs. Handguns are not allowed into Canada, but hunting guns if you're planning to hunt in Canada are OK. Take all the cash you want but you have to declare over $10K. (Not a problem, usually.) The US is really strict about what kind of fresh produce you can take back into the US: never citrus, and other items vary. If you travel with a dog, bring its rabies certificate. They seldom ask for it, but you're supposed to have it with you.

Whether border agents are sticklers depends on who you get, but since they can search your vehicle and AS if they want to, it's best to be honest. Duties on extra wine or liquor are generally more than the stuff is worth.

And have a great trip, eh?
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote