Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
MSL
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Cape Breton Island Trip

My wife and I are hoping to go to Cape Breton Island mid September on a 7 - 10 day trip. We'll be leaving from Downeast Maine with plans to spend maybe 3 nights in Cape Breton Highlands. We're looking for trip ideas and campground ideas.

The trip is still being planned, but we're thinking:
- 1 or 2 nights at Fundy National Park
- 2 nights near Antigonish (my wife's family is from this area)
- 3 nights in Cape Breton Highlands
Should we add Kouchibouguac National Park to this trip for the return leg, or leave this for a future trip?

How are the roads (our trailer is a Sport 22FB without lift kit)? My understanding is the road into Fundy National Park (route 114) is at least part gravel road. What's the condition? How long will it take to go from route 1 to the coast on route 114? To continue trip, should I retrace back to route 1 or follow route 114 east/north to Moncton?

All thoughts welcomed.

Thanks in advance, Mark
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:50 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Windsor Locks , Connecticut
I was their several years ago, not camping. I reread your post. 7 days on CB would be good. Also their are some really good lobster/seafood restaurants along the way. The Lobster point in North Sydney has good reviews. I’ll find out September 30th before i board the ferry for NF.
SteveS52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Great destination, wish we were there.
Be sure your tire monitor is up to snuff if you go off pavement. The local geology includes a lot of shale, which can insert a knife edge between your treads. Ask me how I know…
All the best!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I would add Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg, NS
So Beautiful.
I was ready to move and build wooden boats with hand tools!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lunenburg.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	401949  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:21 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
MSL,

114 into Fundy from the west side (first exit for the park off trans can 2) does become dirt. (least it was in 2018) Our windshield and our travelling companions were both cracked on the way in, by vehicle's travelling in the opposite direction thrown stone as we went thru a turn. If you add the extra miles and come in from the east side it is all paved.

Small world, I retired from SPD (Sharon PD) in 2020. Town was very good to me. Safe travels.

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
We spent nearly 2 months in maritime CA in the fall of 2019. While we loved Kouchibouguac and Alma (Fundy), I'd also spend > 3 days in CBI. A recommended campground there is Hideaway Campground and Oyster market. It will surely be uncrowded when you're there and there are nice views, open spaces and the nicest people running the store. They also run a kayak outfitter and the waters are beautiful there. Park the AS and drive up to Meat Cove (there's a campground there but I don't think I'd take the AS down those roads) It's alot of dirt road in the last couple of miles but your 4wd Ranger will be fine. It feels as if you are literally at the top of the world. If you're a hiker, seek out info on Money Point; the trailhead is ID'd as 46.99943636106024, -60.44111906771608.

We found the NP campground in Ingonish to be kind of soulless, but in the town you can find lots plenty of traditional music, possibly even at the NP hotel.

On the western side of CBI, the Cheticamp campground is a good jumping off spot for hiking and exploring.

One of the most memorable and moving spots we visited in NS was Grand Pre NHS and Wolfville, the town near it. We camped at Blomidon Provencial Park (site #1- huge!) which has a beach that really shows the tidal swings. So peaceful and off the beaten track.
Please feel free to PM me if you're interested in pictures or more details.
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 12:38 PM   #7
MSL
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithdogs View Post
We spent nearly 2 months in maritime CA in the fall of 2019. While we loved Kouchibouguac and Alma (Fundy), I'd also spend > 3 days in CBI. A recommended campground there is Hideaway Campground and Oyster market. It will surely be uncrowded when you're there and there are nice views, open spaces and the nicest people running the store. They also run a kayak outfitter and the waters are beautiful there. Park the AS and drive up to Meat Cove (there's a campground there but I don't think I'd take the AS down those roads) It's alot of dirt road in the last couple of miles but your 4wd Ranger will be fine. It feels as if you are literally at the top of the world. If you're a hiker, seek out info on Money Point; the trailhead is ID'd as 46.99943636106024, -60.44111906771608.

We found the NP campground in Ingonish to be kind of soulless, but in the town you can find lots plenty of traditional music, possibly even at the NP hotel.

On the western side of CBI, the Cheticamp campground is a good jumping off spot for hiking and exploring.

One of the most memorable and moving spots we visited in NS was Grand Pre NHS and Wolfville, the town near it. We camped at Blomidon Provencial Park (site #1- huge!) which has a beach that really shows the tidal swings. So peaceful and off the beaten track.
Please feel free to PM me if you're interested in pictures or more details.
Many thanks for the info. Our plans are now pretty much finalized: 2 nights at Fundy, 2 at Whidden in Antigonish, 2 at Cheticamp, 2 at Broad Cove, 1 at Sunset as a stopover on our way to 2 nights at Kouchibouguack. We won't be able to do Grand Pre NHS this trip, but looks great. This is kind of an exploratory trip; plan to go again. Thanks again!
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote