Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #21

Currently Looking...
Negaunee , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I haven't seen any Canadians lying dead in the streets with fruit in their hands.
Gene

I have been lurking for weeks gathering information to support a decision to buy. Just read the above and felt compelled to suffer through the registration process to say that comment had me laughing til I nearly cried. Oh, the picture it paints...
Yooper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:04 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
I had occasion to take a day trip to Canada five days after 9-11. While in Montreal I purchased some groceries including some onions and grapes (both produce of the USA). When I arrived at the US border crossing point it was like an armed fortress. The VT National Guard was there. The Customs lady in the booth looked like a barrel with a head on it - it was the oversize bulletproof vest she was wearing that made her appear so clown-like, but no one was laughing.

When she asked me if I purchased or acquired any goods I mentioned my groceries and the onions and grapes were what set her off. She ordered me to go over to a waiting area to see the agricultural inspector. While I was waiting I observed three Sikhs, hands on their turbans, being marched into the office. Eventually the ag inspector came over to my car and I showed him the offending onions and grapes. He told me that produce of the USA is allowed and I could be on my way.

Agricultural inspection is necessary to prevent insects and other such pests from entering the country but is there anything that makes US-grown grapes and onions immune to themwhen they are exported to another country?
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:22 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Smile

Just keep an eye out for the WOOFS!

Been there, done that...
With Love
TRfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike View Post

Agricultural inspection is necessary to prevent insects and other such pests from entering the country but is there anything that makes US-grown grapes and onions immune to themwhen they are exported to another country?
Pests generally require more than just the fruit. They may live in the soil or on other parts of the plant. If fruit doesn't pick up eggs or pests prior to harvest, it is unlikely to come into contact with the pests after harvest.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We find it quite interesting when crossing the border to see all the bugs in the air and on the ground turning back because they know that they cannot legally cross They don't have fingers to be fingerprinted so they are not eligible for a Passport. Poor little buggers (uh, pardon the pun)