Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Summit , Mississippi
Canadian Border crossing, Food question

Headed toward Michigan, The UP, and then on into Canada to make our way West. Have done much research on the net as to what is allowed. I know these things. Leave the gun at home. Can have 1.5 ltrs. of wine. Get rid of the pepper spray we keep by the door, and a few other things. The thing I can't seem to find is information about food. What are we allowed to take across. Do I have to clean out my freezer of steak, chicken, chops, etc.? Does everything have to be in store packaging? What if I stopped at Sam's, purchased a whole ribeye, cut it up myself into individual steaks, and packaged it in ziploc bags? It seems fresh fruit and vegatables are no-no's also. Hopefully, you get the picture. Looking for any and all information you think would be applicable.
kennolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
We came across the border in June and there were no meat restictions. The agent did ask if we had large amounts of meat, more then personal use, so as long as you have what your fridge/freezer can hold you'll be ok. Actually, in 40 years of crossing the border yearly, that is only the 2nd time we were asked about food. Fresh fruits/veggies are restricted. For some reason, here on PEI, chicken is very high in price so that is what we bring up in the freezer. Enjoy your trip.
GreggH
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Have a look at this link. If it isn't in there, we don't know.

"Welcome to Canada!"
Old 07-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
We just returned from a unit caravan to the Canadian rockies and the only advice I could give you is carry a minimum of food and bring plenty of money to fill the refrigerator in Canada. We found food prices to be quite high in Alberta, whether because of touristy towns or otherwise I couldn't say. For just one example, eggs were $2.39 a dozen in Jasper, Alberta. The first store we stopped on return to the US (Hibbing, Minnesota) eggs were on sale for 69 cents a dozen.

We have been to Canada and back several times and it's always something different, both coming and going. Once it was potatoes, once it was any beef products (canned soup containing beef confiscated on return to the US--even though it had been brought from the US!), etc.

This trip we didn't have any trouble at all going into Canada, but on return to the US, three Customs and Border Protection agents searched the trailer and confiscated a half a dozen green onions (that's a new one on me) and an orange that had come from the US. No charges were filed, however.

My impression is that since any foodstuff may be confiscated on any given day, take a minimum across the border, keep your sense of humor, and grin and bear it. And if you are not comfortable with law enforcement officers rummaging through your possessions, don't plan on taking your trailer across the border.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
I cross back and forth a couple times a year to visit family in BC and Idaho then back to Alaska.

They are right. Very different depending on which way you're going. Getting INTO Canada is a breeze, fer sure, eh? Got any firearms? (don't!)

However, going BACK to USA at AK/Yukon, BC/Idaho etc seems more strict.
No fresh fruit or vegetables. And for some reason USA border guards HATE Canadian cat food! Really, no CND labeled pet food.

Also was once asked "Do you have any small children in the trailer?" What?

Blaine Washington seems worst for rifling through old Airstreams.

Enjoy, AlCan is open and beautiful this time of year.
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
We have been in and out of Canada 3x since May of this year on our way to AK. Leaving Skagway, AK and going to Tagish Lake tomorrow, this will make 4x. Keep the liquor amounts low as previously mentioned. Fruits need the little label on them. US border on Alaska Highway USDA agent wanted to know if we had any lamb. We did not.

I have a rifle with me and did not have any problem. Check the RCMP site under firearms to make certain that the firearm you want to take up is not on the restricted list. Fill out the RCMP form CAFC 909, parts A and B ONLY! Do not sign until told to before you pay.

Prior to crossing into Canada, stop at the US Border stop and get their form 'Certificate Of Registration For Personal Effects Taken Abroad' CBP Form 4457. They will instruct you what to do concerning showing them your firearm. You can also list you diamond studded gold Rolex on the same form.

You may want to take an extra spare tire. The road from Destruction Bay to the US border is terrible. Go slow and lighten the tension on your stabilization bars. You'd be doing a lot of porpoising on all the frost heaves.
Have a safe trip.

Mark
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
Summit , Mississippi
Thanks all. I thought the problem might be leaving the country. It seems the biggest one will be coming back home.
kennolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
We returned from Waterton Lakes in mid-September last year. US Customs was interested in fresh produce. We replied by saying that the grocery in Waterton Townsite was almost shut down by that time -- smiling, he cheerfully understood and waved us through. The U.S. still is tight on bringing in cured meats and cheeses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halimer View Post
I have a rifle with me and did not have any problem. Check the RCMP site under firearms to make certain that the firearm you want to take up is not on the restricted list. Fill out the RCMP form CAFC 909, parts A and B ONLY! Do not sign until told to before you pay.
Past reading has suggested that the only pistols allowed are for sharpshooting competitions and one must step through the hoops properly. As halimer suggests -- prepare.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
We have travelled back and forth with a trailer for many years now - funny thing - we have noticed that there are grocery stores on both sides of the border .....

So .....

Our practicing "rule of thumb" has become - plan your meals so you do not cross with perishables - then shop on the other side.

In truth - crossing from south to north has never been a problem - it is crossing from north to south that brings out the food police and threatens your fruit and meat products. Going south we are always questioned about food, often scanned, and occasionally searched - sometimes even subject to a more detailed interview and educational lecture - but our "no perishables" rule is now standing the test of time - what you haven't got they can't take ....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
We just crossed into Canada at Niagara Falls on Monday. Didn't have any problems at all. We were just asked where we were going (Niagara Falls) and for how long. Coming back to the U.S. today, we inadvertently drove through the "Truck" lane which required the custom agent to descend from his "perch". He put on a good show telling us that this was the "Truck" lane and that it is clearly marked, ascended to his perch with our passports, descended again and looked in the AS and let us go. Only asked if we purchased anything in Canada.

Ellen
Rawfoodgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
do you need any special auto/trailer insurance papers?
Old 07-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Judy, I haven't had them check this. But my state requires that I carry the "cab card" paper to validate my annual auto registration. And I carry my up-to-date validation of insurance. Same info I'd have to produce if stopped or had an accident within the U.S.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamjudy View Post
Your insurance company will issue you a Canadian Insurance card if you ask. I believe that the Canadian requirements are slightly different than the US regulations and your insurance company will add those requirements when they issue the Canadian card.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamjudy View Post
Just ask your insurance agent for a Canadian insurance certificate and they will issue one at no cost. (Ours does, anyway.)

This certificate is titled "Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card" and certifies that the party and vehicle described has sufficient liability insurance to meet the requirements of all Canadian provinces, and provides the insurance company's Canadian address.

In both English and French, naturellement.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We have had problems with the US fruit police twice this trip—going into Alaska on the Alaska Hwy and going into Haines, Alaska on the Haines Hwy. Going into Skagway, Alaska, and back to Montana today, no problems at all. Last year crossing from Sask. to Montana no problems with food.

It's hit and miss. Some US agents are nice and greet you, some act tough and never say a nice word ("hello" seems to be hard for them). We have been told different things by different US border fruit police. It seems there must be country of origin on the fruit or the bag; same for meat I guess. This has become a big deal at the border lately because in years past (7 trips to Canada in last 8 years) we have never been questioned about food. The Washington lobbyists must be active. Out of 4 crossings on this trip, we were inspected twice (they say it's random—odds are against 50% of crossings).

The Canadians don't seem to think they have anything to prove and are generally nice. We feel welcomed to Canada, but not, generally, when we come home. People have complained for decades about US customs and immigration attitude problems (names have changed, but not the attitude). As Americans we are are embarrassed about how some people are treated when they come to the US.

How some fruit or veggies for personal use is going to hurt anyone but us I don't understand. Actually the fruit and veggies in Canadian markets often looks better than the stuff in US markets. I haven't seen any Canadians lying dead in the streets with fruit in their hands.

So be careful. They will steal your fruit, you have absolutely no recourse because suing over a peach is not worth the cost and they know it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Fruit Police?

Hi, I have a feeling that this is just another small way to help the economy; Restock your refrigerator everytime you cross a border.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
Thanks everyone for the insurance information.
Judy
Old 07-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
red deer , Alberta
Its funny you think our border people are the nice ones. To me, its the other way around.

The US border people have always been nothing but friendly to us.

Our home team, on the other hand, seems to have something to prove.LOL
canadaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaxp View Post
Its funny you think our border people are the nice ones. To me, its the other way around.

Maybe it depends on your point of view. The other guy is great, my guy is a pain.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaxp View Post

Maybe the Canadian guys know something about Canadians we don't. Are you bringing in cheaper American booze and cigarettes? Do you have ten 5 gallon cans of US gas in the trunk? Do you have 200 lbs of dreaded American potatoes with you? What's with the potato thing anyway—everyone knows that fruit from Canada, probably originally from California, will cause hockey madness, but I read somewhere about potatoes being verbotten to bring into Canada. Don't you like Idaho?

As for our guys, we have been trying to bring in weapons of mass destruction disguised as baseball caps saying "Dawson City", "Hoser" and "I drove the Alaska Highway", but now I know to wear one with an American flag that plays the National Anthem whenever I touch the bill.

Maybe we've been lucky until this year, but has the US been after fruit and veggies before this year? Is this relatively new?

One of the ironies of this is companies can trade across the border under NAFTA without a lot of problems, but ordinary people have to pay duties after a relatively low amount of purchases. I wonder how much is spent by both countries on border guards and radiation detectors and all the rest. If Europe can have open borders, why can't the US and Canada have one? This used to be the most open one in the world, but no more.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote