Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Canada border crossing and power tools

I am thinking of pulling my camper to Canada for a fishing and camping trip.

I live in my airstream, and have powertools, such as a circular saw, chainsaw, grinder, a shovel, hand tools etc.

I've read that they can confiscate them at the border and make you pay a 10% duty to get them back...or they may not let you in because they think you are going to work up there.

I have no place to leave my tools, and do not want to pay a duty on them.

Has anyone ever had problems bringing a small amount of hand and power tools across the border into Canada?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
You should not have any problems. To be safe stop at customs on the way in and tell them what you will be bringing into Canada they will give you a document to use when you leave. Don't try to bring guns into Canada, the red tape will take days and hand guns are not allowed.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Hi Bo2020:
I'm out in Washington state and visit British Columbia, Canada a lot.
You may be running a big risk trying to bring tools across....especially if you let them know your only address is the trailer.

I've just been through a big hassle and I make sure that my truck has nothing more than a small tool kit and clothes.

My hassle is they don't believe that I've dated the same Canadian for 15 years and that I'm a boat captain so my life is not a "cookie cutter" style.

Good Luck fishing...if you were out here I 'd offer to let you store your tools at my place.
Cheers
Del
Old 05-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Can't you rent a storage locker to leave them?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We are not full timers, but carry a very complete tool set with us in Lucy. We carry a power drill, saws all, and a power impact driver. We also carry a complete set of hand tools. We have only crossed into Canada twice a couple of years ago, once into New Brunswick, and the other into Manitoba. The Canada Customs never even asked about any tools. Is this something new program to thwart terrorism conducted with hand tools. Once you get into Canada with these deadly tools, are you allowed back into the United States while in felonious possession of an 18 volt power drill????

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
No, the Canadian government is really bad on not letting Americans into Canada to work. You will never get a green card to work in Canada unless there are no Canadians qualified to do the particular job, and even then you will get 2 years at the most, to work and train a Canadian to do that job. I have written hundreds of letters over the years to our Congress to change our green card laws to be exactly the same as the country the person wanting a USA green card uses, but to no avail. When I worked on the Alaska Pipeline Project in 1974-75, I'll bet over 1/2 of the workers were from Canada. It was and still is the pits.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 05-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I was recently reading that if an American had a DUI any age on their driving record they couldn't enter Canada. Anyone know if that is true or not?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
No Problem for me

I'm married to a Canadian. Before I met my wife, I lived and worked in B.C; Quebec and Ontario for 5 out of 8 years. Always had a work permit good for six month's; never had a problem renewing it. Maybe the laws have changed since 9/11. I last worked in B.C. in 1997.
Go Canucks!!!
I had to say it. Did I mention my wife is from B.C.?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Gringo, I forget the particulars, but somewhere in the do's and don'ts were DUI's. 'If' I remember properly, if you were convicted of a DUI, you had to claim/document and seek permission prior to entry.

I don't rememeber the exact wording nor statute. I seem to remember someone on this site had mentioned the Candadian imigration web site. I'm sure if you Google Canadian Imigration you can find the info easily...
Old 05-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Yes, I can find out if it ever comes up. I just recently read it, and it was a surprise to me. I worked a lot in Canada over the years, offshore exploration out of the Maritimes, and with McDonald Dettweiler on some military projects. I also spent a lot of time with ISE out of Port Coquitlam, and with the Canadian Navy. In all my trips to Canada I had never heard of that DUI thing. I was just curious as to whether anyone knew if it was true, and I bet a lot of RVers probably don't know about it.

Hmm...come to think of it, I know some Canadians with DUIs in the states. I wonder what happens when they try to go home/
Old 05-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
No, the Canadian government is really bad on not letting Americans into Canada to work. You will never get a green card to work in Canada unless there are no Canadians qualified to do the particular job, and even then you will get 2 years at the most, to work and train a Canadian to do that job. I have written hundreds of letters over the years to our Congress to change our green card laws to be exactly the same as the country the person wanting a USA green card uses, but to no avail. When I worked on the Alaska Pipeline Project in 1974-75, I'll bet over 1/2 of the workers were from Canada. It was and still is the pits.

We don't have green cards in Canada.
There's also reciprocity for many job types as a result of NAFTA. Chances are if your trade/profession isn't listed, then there is no shortage of Canadian workers to fill those positions. So, yeah, you're likely to be turned away at the border.
A little research is all that is needed to get at the truth.

Also, if you have a DUI on your record, you are inadmissible. You may have your record cleared by applying for a Minister's Approval of Rehabilitation. A DUI is considered a serious offense in this country, so this is reflected by our policies at the border. For more info, contact your nearest Canadian Consulate General.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Well tools always come in handy on a camping and fishing trip, besides, I go nowhere without them.

As for the DUI, has anyone ever tried crossing with one? I mean, if you do not tell the border agent, then how are they going to know, unless they do a background check.

Thousands of people cross the Canadian border every single day, and there is no way they have the time to check the criminal record of every single individual that crosses.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I would imagine that the DUI would pop up on their computer when they run your license plate. Hey, all you can do is try crossing the border and see what happens. The easiest thing you could do is make a phone call and ask what the regulations are.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Try this link:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...h-dui-offenses

If you don't declare a DUI then I don't think the Canadian Authorities have the ability to cross reference against US State or Federal records, at least not immediately. The problems will start, though, if you end up in any kind of auto accident and the authorities then have time to check.

It'd be best to check locally and, if necessary, seek a waiver. Always be up front in these situations because if you're not, you could end up in a whole lot of trouble.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
Old 05-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Those questioning the DUI should seriously check into the Canadian Immigration laws.

DUI is a federal offence here!!! very very serious stuff. If you have a DUI conviction you are considered an "inadmissible class".

Sure you can take a chance in not disclosing your criminal record at the border - but there is also the chance that they could spot check as Canada has access to the FBI criminal record database - of which the first lists they check is the guns/drugs/DUI/DWI charges.

If you disclose - you will not be granted entry without a Minister's Approval of Rehabilitation.

However you can enter before this approval, but must apply for a Temporary Resident Permit. Either way you will need some time and lawyers assistance to ensure proper documentation.

We do not have the same issue entering the States as the States do not consider DWI's a Felony within their immigration laws. However, if we as Canadians receive a DUI while in the US - we will be treated as a felon when we return to Canada and we will then have a criminal record.

As for the power tools - I think that is a bit far fetched and probably just wild border stories. No doubt passed along by people who have worked without a proper permit at some point.

You may be questioned intricately but if you are truthful and honest and give no suspicion of your travel reasons then you should have no issues.

I travel back and forth with lots of power tools - although not a chainsaw - ha cause I am more scared of them than guns

Just do your research and before you travel contact both sides and get the facts. A lot of times we hear the hassles are more from returning to your own respective countries than it is entering the neighbouring country.

Know the law, have your travel documents up to date. Have specific purpose for your travel and the places and people you will be visiting. Have reservation documents handy is always a good measure. Respect the laws of the country you are visiting.

I would say if you can not be honest at the border then you are taking an unnecessary risk - that can get you into deep kaka on both sides! - ask yourself is it worth it.

Happy Travels....
Old 05-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Page and I have travelled across the border many times - Canada is just too beautiful a place to miss. We appreciate our welcome as honored guests, as we Americans generally are.

If they are protective of their jobs - that is their right. Goodness knows that is an ongoing argument here - and whatever was decided here should be enforced. And surely we can see the difference between carrying a general set of tools required to keep our rigs going, within reason. As for carrying a full set of carpentry tools - that would certainly appear as if you intended to work up there. Or a brickmason's rig.

What I am going to miss when we head up this year is our formerly powerful dollar.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 05-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
North Falmouth , Massachusetts
Tools in Canada

I've gone into Canada several times with a reasonable complement of tools, not as extensive as yours though. I've never had an issue. At the border they will ask you if you have anything to declare. I made up a list (3 copies) of every asset (tools, cameras, computers) and the young lady nearly croaked! She said, "OK" and turned down my offer of a copy for their records. So the bottom line is that if you have a list that you have declared they shouldn't seize them or charge duty. You also need to state that your are visiting on vacation, not for work. Fire ams are a different story: no hand guns allowed and long arms need special forms. Leave them at home or rent a storage container near the border. Food can be a problem: don't try to take Maine or Idaho potatoes into Canada! The regulations on food, both ways, is nebulous and seems arbitrary. Be aware of the alcoholic beverage restrictions.

We have had more trouble coming back into the USA.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
If someone can find the French lyrics to Kumbaya, we can return to our previously warm and inclusive atmosphere . . .
Old 05-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
We have towed a cargo trailer to Ottawa, crossing north of Watertown, NY.

Both times we had cabinets for our son's condo and tools to install. I had a list of items and cost of what we were leaving in CA. Not one time did they ever look in the trailer.

I was directed to go to the office and pay the VAT(sales tax) and that was it.

Coming back on US side was no sweat either.

They do enter your info on the computer, so they do track suspicious guys (I hope!).

Bob
Old 05-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Going off the topic a little, but just to redress the balance a little, you might like to know that as a UK passport holder (living in Canada) I have to apply for an ESTA clearance prior to travelling to the US. I have to state on that application ALL convictions, however minor and including traffic misdemeanors, even if that conviction is legally spent in the UK (oh, and hand over $14 dollars). If, for an example, I had a ticket for not stopping at a red light issued in 1980 and that had been expunged from my record in the UK after five years, I'm still supposed to declare it for my ESTA clearance. In terms of not being fair, that spent conviction is worth nothing in the UK but could count against me when trying to enter the US, which isn't right. So, everyone's entry criteria are different and, apparently, not fair. As it happens, because spent convictions are expunged, regardless of what you say on the ESTA application the US has no means of checking a record that doesn't exist.

By the by, I also get stiffed for another $6 when I fill in my I94 which is still required for a land crossing and it's only valid for 3 months. Tut.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
Closed Thread