Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2020 28' Flying Cloud
on the road , TN
Back Bumper Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwagon View Post
Hi All We never store anything in it except the discharge hoses, line to flush the tank and the ends that goes with the hoses for different applications at different sewer caps and a plastic bag with disposable gloves and wipes for hands when done with the flushing and cleaning!
For the Awning rod we just hang it on a hook in our trailer! i have a hook right by our door! Just For The awning tool while traveling!! As far as storing Power Cords we lock our in a lock compartment! Where it stays clean and protected from water or whatever get into the back bumper compartment!
Greetings Hi when i mentioned cords i meant the power cords and stuff you do not want to get wet stored in the bumper compartment!
Like i have said in the past Nothing That Store In There Is Going To Stay Dry!
See All On The Road Safe Travels To All!
oldwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I drilled holes in the compartment on the 25 foot International so water would drain out.
I'm going to do the same.

The bumper storage collects water, and I worry that mosquitoes (Florida!) will breed in there.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
My compartment has gaps between the curved bumper and the square-cut end of the frame. I'll stuff some durable closed cell plastic in there.
The lock I bought fits in a standard latch hole (as on the battery box , looking sort of like a football). Pardon the former geometry teacher jargon - a chord is a straight line between two points on a circle. Here's an example showing only one of the two chords: (_) (This is not an emoticon)
Anyway, I don't have a nibbler and don't want to risk butchering the cover. My lock doesn't have a gasket to keep it from turning if I drill out a full-round hole. I may put a hasp on both ends, to deter anyone from popping up the corners and backing out the bumper screws. Or use a small padlock through the hole on the frame to secure my power cord while on the road.
Thanks for the information!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Hi all with an update.
First - thanks to everyone for your tips. I am thankful I have a 'go-to' place for advice.
So, I went to my AS yesterday and as several of you suggested, I carefully checked the back bumper for my Zipdee rod, removing the poop tubes to get a better look (or feel). Crammed up against the front of the bumper on its side was the damn rod. You can't see it, you have to feel it out with your hand. Unfortunately, I had already ordered a replacement so now have two. Fortunately, the replacement was only 21.95.
I've thought about hanging the rod on a hook near front door but the idea of it clanging and swinging and falling off on occasion doesn't appeal to me.
BTW - to another poster's point about drilling holes in the rear bumper so water drains out. Interesting. I sometimes hose out the inside of my bumper (everything still in it) to get rid of road dust. The water always drains out, no drilling of holes were necessary. Bad idea?
Take care all, stay safe.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
Possible it got left somewhere. I keep the rod underneath along with a 4’ level and I’ve had a couple of instances where I swore I put it back only to discover I hadn’t. The likelihood of someone rooting through the sewer parts for a metal angled rod is almost nil.
jwpaquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hanging it by the door... velcro is your friend. Velcro it to the wall, two pieces, one near the top, the other at the bottom. Or just slip it into the tie back strap of a folding door, if you have one.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:35 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
I stow my awning rod along with our walking sticks in the sewer hose tube and I stow the sewer hose in the rear bumper compartment. Mainly cause the sewer hose 45 won't go in the tube, no one would want my hose of they found it and I figure everyone assumes it's in the tube so they'd never look in there.
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
My compartment has gaps between the curved bumper and the square-cut end of the frame. I'll stuff some durable closed cell plastic in there.
The lock I bought fits in a standard latch hole (as on the battery box , looking sort of like a football). Pardon the former geometry teacher jargon - a chord is a straight line between two points on a circle. Here's an example showing only one of the two chords: (_) (This is not an emoticon)
Anyway, I don't have a nibbler and don't want to risk butchering the cover. My lock doesn't have a gasket to keep it from turning if I drill out a full-round hole. I may put a hasp on both ends, to deter anyone from popping up the corners and backing out the bumper screws. Or use a small padlock through the hole on the frame to secure my power cord while on the road.
Thanks for the information!
GetawA-S, the material is soft enough that you can use a rat-tail file to make the profile of the lock. I used a 5/8” Blair hole cutter and made two cuts, one at the top and another at the bottom and finished with the file. Worked out fine!
Thanks again to VeloBuckeye for sharing the lock idea!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8C46E68B-023C-41BE-9247-5F4C6B68BE7C.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	369987   Click image for larger version

Name:	7B3AF531-98D5-4014-9C25-5A9987F53CB7.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	580.0 KB
ID:	369988  

Name:	2DF6AF3F-DA13-4FE7-A583-5313E2F2AAA3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	369989   Click image for larger version

Name:	F6B32818-A30B-4C0F-A5D0-19588844215B.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	369990  

WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:23 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Rfriebele - how do you keep the cap on the underbelly tube (where you say you store your awning rod) from coming off while you're driving? I stored a set of hiking poles in there once and lost them due to the cap coming off. I keep it on with 2 narrow strips of duct tape, a most unattractive solution.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:52 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
Rfriebele - how do you keep the cap on the underbelly tube (where you say you store your awning rod) from coming off while you're driving? I stored a set of hiking poles in there once and lost them due to the cap coming off. I keep it on with 2 narrow strips of duct tape, a most unattractive solution.
My tube closes with a twist lock cap and since it's plastic, twisting on plastic, it has a tendency to stick so I literally have to lube it some to make it easier to open & close. Its not falling off by itself and why I use it for those things. May be just how mine was made. I didn't consider that with all the complaints about AS quality, some may have a sloppy lid fit. I've been fortunate in that I've never had any serious or even nagging issues to speak of with our FC.
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:16 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i used 2 cam locks
one on each side

the lock hole is easy.
the side slot is harder

the alum tubes are the mounts for the FIAMMA bike rack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cam lock open.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	370080   Click image for larger version

Name:	cam lock closed.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	370081  

waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Update: I popped off the plastic covers for the holes A-S drilled through the frame (ends of the compartment) for some reason. The 3/4” holes were just right for heavy duty eyebolts ordered from Amazon. Now I can chain down the rear bumper for stability in heavy winds (FL is our base) or theft protection while at home (requires auger type anchors).
On the road, a bike cable and padlock serve to fasten down the cover, if I choose. (Like others, I’ve found it’s not worth storing anything of value there. The power cord gets tossed under the cap of my pickup truck.) A 7’ cord is a little long, and requires some creative take up loops.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote