Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Can a snake get in?

Ok, I'm one of those people who freaks out if I see a snake - even crossing the road!

And I was reading a lot in the forums about mice getting in Airstreams - so I got to wondering if a snake can get in, or if anyone has ever had that happen?

If the news is bad, I'd rather hear it now, when it's about 20 degrees outside than during the summer when I wouldn't be able to sleep if you tell me (1)they can get in - which makes sense because a mouse can! and (2) you've had it happen! Ew, makes me all shiverery just thinking about it!

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Salem , Massachusetts
you get mice in houses & not snakes unless someone had one as a pet & it got loose... so doubtful you need to fret over serpents
aluminomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
yes, they can, and do. They come in most nights following mice and tend to get up in the covers attracted to heat.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Yup, the '63 I bought had the sofa tossed out after the owner shot it to pieces while trying to kill a snake...there were shot marks on the floor to prove it...I can say...after pullin the interior skins and seeing all of the mouse sign...all of those mice musta been a heck of a snake attractor!!!

One of the VAP episodes talked about snakes falling out of a field find as they were at a gas station
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
_

. , .
it's a basic design flaw...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...tch-56769.html

and well documented, going back years...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...pets-7617.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...lies-3267.html

simply surround the trailer with a lariat, and it will be snake proof,

except for the ones that get in the sewage line and crawl up into the black tank...

now what are U afraid of?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...aid-25641.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Maybe...
Attached Images

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
CJ for sure yes they can. I recently brought a 75 back from North Caroilna and found several sheded snake skins in the trailer. They were under the kitchen sink and in the closets. The trailer had been sitting empty for some time and the snakes had moved in. The only good thing was there were no mice left.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Salem , Massachusetts
who woulda thunk... crazy... I guess if you can keep the mice away... you keep the snakes away
Old 01-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Sometimes they get into the sewer line and hide in the black tank. They are trapped in there until someone flushes the toilet. Can't be too careful.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Ok, I know some of you are pulling my leg! Or is that a snake??

Oh, geez, that photo will be with me for- Evah!

Well, I have a cat and dog and both will travel with us. Surely they would find it before I would. Yuk - that snake would have to be on the back - by the bed!

Maybe I don't want to go camping in the summer - maybe 20 degrees is a good time!

Anyone know where I can buy a mongoose?

And, I know in my heart that if I saw a snake (they should becalled "sneaks") I will empty all 15 shots from my Glock in the general area where said serpent is sighted. Then there will be holes in the floor, the belly pan, any plumbing nearby.......and maybe the dog and cat.

And of course, in my Excella, there is a crazy space where there's a barrier behind the lower cabinet under the sink to prevent me from being able to see under there.....great.

Thanks, but maybe I wish I hadn't asked???

Carol

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
They should make a movie... snakes in a Airstream. Blockbuster!

Come and see me at: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I think they are just pulling your leg. Most snakes don't eat people. We've got rattlers in Arizona, but you hardly ever see one. They avoid people, unless you sneak up on them. If you don't already have skunks, raccoons, squirrels and wild birds in your trailer, you probably won't have problems with snakes either. Also, if you are walking in an area that has snakes, just shuffle your feet and make a lot of noise (a walking stick helps) and they'll get out of your way.

The only time I have actually encountered a rattlesnake in Arizona was one year when the local lake level was rising fast. The snakes and small animals were concentrated near the shoreline when the rising lake level drove them back from what had been dry land. Even then, you just had to be careful and not walk through deep brush or stick your hand down into driftwood piles (a favorite place to hide).

You guys are funny -- I'd like to see "Snakes in an Airstream" though.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:22 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
Wow! An Arkansas girl afraid of snakes! I have always thought of Arkansas women as being the toughest in the country.. and a Glock carrying Arkansa girl to boot! Makes you loose all faith in womenkind. Remember - it is dangerous to be alive.
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:25 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Salem , Massachusetts
my mom ate snake once... said it tasted like chicken
Old 01-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminomad View Post
you get mice in houses & not snakes unless someone had one as a pet & it got loose... so doubtful you need to fret over serpents
Last November the Verizon guy came to check our phone lines. My wife and him go down the cellar and 2 seconds later come running up the stairs like 2 little girls from Arkansas. There was a 4 foot black snake coiled around the wires where they come into the house. I went down and took him out to the back field. The last thing I saw he was heading straight back towards the house. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
except for the ones that get in the sewage line and crawl up into the black tank...

cheers
2air'
Take off your toilet seat. Get a 5 gallon bucket and cut out the bottom. Attach the seat to the top of the bucket. Snake proof extension for your bathroom. (except the deadly hoop snake that grabs it's tail in it's mouth and has been clocked rolling down the road at 35 mph)
Old 01-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
My adversion to snakes is so awful, my wife bought me snake fetish (small charm believed by native Americans to ward off the animal it represents)! When in Tomestone two years ago I shared a camp ground landery room with one. My laundry is still there! If it was in the bus, don't know how many holes I could end up with from the 357. I 'm the great white hunter for bugs and rodents, she for serpents.
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #18
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Ok, I know some of you are pulling my leg! Or is that a snake??

Oh, geez, that photo will be with me for- Evah!

Well, I have a cat and dog and both will travel with us. Surely they would find it before I would. Yuk - that snake would have to be on the back - by the bed!
Maybe I don't want to go camping in the summer - maybe 20 degrees is a good time!
Anyone know where I can buy a mongoose?
And, I know in my heart that if I saw a snake (they should becalled "sneaks") I will empty all 15 shots from my Glock in the general area where said serpent is sighted. Then there will be holes in the floor, the belly pan, any plumbing nearby.......and maybe the dog and cat.
And of course, in my Excella, there is a crazy space where there's a barrier behind the lower cabinet under the sink to prevent me from being able to see under there.....great.
Thanks, but maybe I wish I hadn't asked???
Carol
Your posting caused me to laugh so much..I could see it in my minds eye..
I have the edge on you..I am more than afraid..I have several phobias..snakes, tails and heights..but I think snakes are top of my list ..someone on the forums enlightened me to their tricks of slithering into footwear..that did it..I kept my boots on more than off..and I had elastic bands around my trouser bottoms ..
If I had a choice I would have worn my clodhoppers in bed..
I was paranoid the whole of the trip..I drove the boys mad..into the second week they threatened to gaffa tape my mouth shut..so I suffered in silence..constantly on snake alert..
I should add hairy spiders to my list..i'm ok with them even up to the size of a Daddy Long Legs..as they're quite hairless..I can't say I enjoy them tickling the palm of my hand but my tolerance is long enough to run to the door and fling
them far and wide..Yesterday in the cash and carry, I dragged the heavy
cardboard lid off a virgin box of bananas. They were sardined in there good and proper, all moist like..some ripe some on the way..I gingerly lifted a bunch with 2 fingers and was on red alert for a hairy stowaway ..reason is, a
vegetable assistant, in that very shop,told me, so this is not through the grapevine, he lifted bananas fresh from the package, which in turn were fresh from the slow boat from China, or should I say the tropics, and a hairy crawly as big as his hand ran up his arm..
If I had 500 sessions with a snake therapist it would do me no good, but I do know it's not a reflection of turning tail, I've intervened which brought to a halt a beating during a drunken brawl, and another time to stop a scallywag striking a victim on the legs with a cricket bat... I have no fear of standing up for whats right ..but snakes ...that's something else.. Thanks for making me grin , Cheerios... TC
1. Snake awareness at its worst ..see Hx2 couldn't care less
2. Daddy Long Legs Largely Hairless
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 04 20 Robins195  on red alert.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	119841  
Attached Images

TinCrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Daddy Long Legs

Most poisonous spider in the world. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Don't look if your at all squeemish...

I did find one in an old Safari I found in the weeds near my home. BUT...nothing beats this....heeby jeebies
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer Camp Snake.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	119844