Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Carol.

Mind if I ask what kind of "foam stuff" you used to seal up places? We're about to do that.

Thanks.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
The foam

Hi Deb,
Use low expansion foam in a can. If I had used high expansion, I'd have no belly pan and the skins would be buckled out!

It has a spigot thing and you just press the sprayer (like hair spray!) Last time we bought it at Walmart. It's kind of fun! It does expand, so stop and watch a little.

Seriously, I have learned every hole Airstream ever cut for anything is roughly twice the size needed. But we don't have varmint problems in our Stream!

I also set bombs off in it (some people object but no bugs or spiders) and have Downy sheets everywhere, and I absolutely will not have spots where I can't see & regularly inspect! I just took all our clothes and stuff out that usually stays in the camper so I can do spring inspections! I'm a little obsessed maybe

If I wanted to deal with varmints, I'd tent camp!! LOL

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #83
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Spring sunshine is here and so are the snakes. My drill power cord disconnected and I reached down for the extension on Sat. and almost picked one up by accident. They were coming out of a topsoil pile I had left by the garage. There's a bylaw here 'no shooting'.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Hi Deb,
Use low expansion foam in a can. If I had used high expansion, I'd have no belly pan and the skins would be buckled out!

It has a spigot thing and you just press the sprayer (like hair spray!) Last time we bought it at Walmart. It's kind of fun! It does expand, so stop and watch a little.

Seriously, I have learned every hole Airstream ever cut for anything is roughly twice the size needed. But we don't have varmint problems in our Stream!

I also set bombs off in it (some people object but no bugs or spiders) and have Downy sheets everywhere, and I absolutely will not have spots where I can't see & regularly inspect! I just took all our clothes and stuff out that usually stays in the camper so I can do spring inspections! I'm a little obsessed maybe

If I wanted to deal with varmints, I'd tent camp!! LOL
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Oh! I am not enjoying this thread at all!
On our first trip in the AS, I woke up at about 4 am to a noise that sounded (when you're half asleep) like a rattlesnake. After a startling moment of me pounding Mr. Mod on the chest to wake up, I realized it was far too cold for any snakes. The noise was coming from right outside our window. I looked out the window and saw that fattest, most brazen raccoon racking his claws up and down the ribbed sewage hose.
I wonder if he does that to all the campers.
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #85
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Found a 5' rattlesnake at the trailer this afternoon. Was reaching up, over and into . . and was glad I stopped when I did.

But Lawchick has already been there . . I 'd say early yesterday by the condition.

You just never think about how heavy a snake can be. All that muscle really weighs.

(A trailer at work. And a welcome aboard present!!)

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Uh-uh Red. Did you really? OMG!

Reba McEntire

Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #87
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Hey Carol
I just reached in the storage compartment and pulled out an 8' yellow snake. Oh wait a minute its just my power cord.
Don't forget to foam all the bullet holes.
We'll see you out west.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #88
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Mod View Post

------------------------------------------

The noise was coming from right outside our window. I looked out the window and saw that fattest, most brazen raccoon racking his claws up and down the ribbed sewage hose.
I wonder if he does that to all the campers.
I am curious about this sewer hose attraction. I am only guessing that what smells like poop to us smell like food to animals. Well, both words do have "oo" in the middle. I can see how they are confused.

Several years ago several members of our family were camping at Farragut State Park . There was known to be a bear frequently wandering in the campground. While were visiting another campsite, we heard that the bear had been seen walking through our campsite. We went back to our campsite and saw the bear walking away through the woods. There were no sewer hookups ,but we had our slinky going from the trailer to our blue portable holding tank. As I was checking for bear damage, I discovered that he had bitten our sewer hose twice so hard that he permanently crushed it.

An hour or two later we towed the blue tank to the RV dump. We arrived just in time to see the bear being chased away from the dumpsters with bean bag gun. That was the last we saw of him. I assume it was a male. I can't imagine a lady bear doing anything that gross.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Watch where you put your hands

During snake season last year, in my barn, by the Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	copperhead.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	471.6 KB
ID:	156102  
Old 04-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #90
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
What species snake is that?

Ken
Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post

Oh man, for the last year I've been spending most weekends looking at houses, barns, and small parcels of land near your area in an attempt to relocate a little farther North from my present location in Fort Worth. It looks like I better be more careful when I go thru some of those properties.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:22 AM   #92
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Will be out at another well drilling site well south of here before dawn. Was having the snake conversation with another driver yesterday. As constantly loud as a drilling rig is 24/7 you'd think snakes would avoid them. Nope. So we were going over some of the more likely places to run into them on the areas where our service is concerned (a well drilling agent delivery).

Yesterdays "encounter" set up by parties unknown was reminder that rattlers are prone to be even in spots overhead and inconvenient . . but so are rat's and mice.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks, Carol, for the info on the spray foam. DH picked up a can last night and tonight we're going to be filling holes!! Hope this works!

I am so afraid of snakes................back in the '70's I was working in my garden, about done out there for the night and was walking along not paying much attention to "things" (thinking about how well the garden was doing that year), when I glanced down and realized I was about to step over a very long, probably 6' or 8' long black snake! I couldn't pick my feet up fast enough and was literally standing there running in place and was finally able to get moving forward. I didn't go back out there for a few days. I had to laugh about it later, but at the time I thought for certain I was going to die!

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Tell you coworkers I said you deserved that little trick for your teasingof poor lil ole me! Told you those things can't digest lead! One good thing!

Plug those holes, Deb! I used two cans!

Reba McEntire

Old 04-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
OK Rednax, please tell me this is not where Lawchick used a 416 double on a snake. I cant imagine anything in an airstream surviving that.
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
It's what we Arkies call a "copper rattler mocassin"- in other words a damn, probably poisonous, snake.

Reba McEntire

Old 04-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
It's a rattler. Probably baby or pigmy, which love getting in garages, barns, woodpiles, and apparently toolboxes. Bite as bad as big one!
I'm from the Ozarks, once saw a rattled crossing a highway that covered almost a whole lane. Monsters.

Reba McEntire

Old 04-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #98
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
It's a rattler. Probably baby or pigmy, which love getting in garages, barns, woodpiles, and apparently toolboxes. Bite as bad as big one!
I'm from the Ozarks, once saw a rattled crossing a highway that covered almost a whole lane. Monsters.
If you're answering my what species is it question.- I got tired of waiting so looked up snake pictures. I'm 99% sure its a copperhead.

If it is a rattler, it is the extremely rare Southwestern Spot Back Rattleless Rattle Snake.

If you weren't answering my question, then never mind.

Ken
Old 04-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Yeah, Ken, I thought it was a copperhead at first, too. But isn't it a little skinny for a copperhead? The markings are silvery and black, I thought it looked like, but could be the light, and copperheads are brown and tan so they can be disguised completely in fallen leaves.
I worked for the state park system when I was a whippersnapper, and the copperheads we saw here in Arkansas were usually fat and brown and tan. But if this is a baby, I'm sure you may be right. Coloration may not be mature.

Maybe he'll come on again and enlighten us. Like I said, a snake is a damn snake! LOL

Reba McEntire

Old 04-20-2012, 03:33 AM   #100
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
OK Rednax, please tell me this is not where Lawchick used a 416 double on a snake. I cant imagine anything in an airstream surviving that.
tim
T'would be the point, matey.