Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Camping security, got myself a boot

I'm new to actually camping in our Globetrotter, and have been concerned about it being ripped off from a campground while we're off sight seeing. I know all the arguments, if someone is really determined to take it and on and on... nevertheless, I was stoked to find this

slide-lock wheel boot

got it last week, tried it out today and it fits, and it's not too awful looking on the trailer. The thing is really, really robust- 2" square steel tube, almost 1/8" or so thick, weighs a ton. They were awesome to deal with too, accepting returns if I didn't like it, and it took less than a week to get. I figured the price was okay, given how much I have into the trailer and how attached we've become to it.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Good move - you don't need to be constantly worried while you're trying to relax. This should provide some piece of mind. It's nice and obvious, too.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
What is the lock like on it? I always figure that's the weakest point. I worry about our little trailer when we leave it unattended too - it's so little just about anything with a ball could haul it away!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
I've been looking for a while, and this is a new product for them. Not one of the BIG yellow $600 boots, but substantial enough. You're totally right, it's some comfort while relaxing. And the red color is really nice, too.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Interesting. I'm looking for some security at the campground as well, which is probably less than needed while in remote storage somewhere.

I'm wondering if it prevents removing of the wheel lug nuts. If so they could drop a wheel and this lock on a tandem axle, and pull the trailer away.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Does anyone use a good quality motor-cycle security lock and chain on their tandem wheels? Tying up two wheels sounds reasonably secure...

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I have used the heavy chain and lock looping over an axle and it's quite secure, with a heavy lock I have. Have to get under there to thread it through, something I'd rather not do if things are wet and muddy.

doug k
Old 03-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
There is a plate on this that covers the lug nuts, so you can't remove a wheel to remove the boot. I don't have a tandem axle, just a single. How do you loop the chain, do you have spoke wheels?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
I use a Kriptonite Motorcycle cable (3/4 "), to tie my two wheels together. It is a bit tricky to slip the cable through the wheel (I have 16" tredit wheels with holes, not spokes).

It takes 2 minutes to set up, and is very secure. Kriptonite makes excellent products.

Here is the link to the cable.

ProductInformation

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I understand that there have been trailers stolen while in storage but has anyone ever had a trailer stolen while using it?
Maybe I just have a case of "Pollyanna" like innocence but I can't imagine someone stealing an actively used trailer. Am I missing something?
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think this is a very rare occurrence, and much more likely if you are in a very remote spot and there only occasionally.

We've never had anything stolen in a campground.

Some folks are just very security conscious.

Maggie
Old 03-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
After I did my post, I was curious about the new locks offered by Kryptonite.

If you really want security -- I would buy one of the Kryptonite RealTime GPS. You install this device in your trailer, and it notifies you (to your smartphone) if your vehicle is being moved, and provides location tracking.

The cost is around $400 (I found it online for $389) and comes with a one year monitoring contract. The contract is $39 / year thereafter. Installation looks pretty simple, and it is wired to 12v. The amp draw is very low. The only thing I am not sure if is the ability of the GPS to send a signal through the shell of the trailer. Another mounting option would be in the Propane tank enclosure.

Here is the link the RealTime GPS

RealTime GPS

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The GPS sounds like a good idea too.. I was hoping to dissuade someone from trying to take our trailer. My personal kryptonite story is this: I've used them on bikes for years, and when my first one failed- the tumblers wore out on the lock, I walked home, got my work truck with a circular saw with a metal cutting blade, went back, plugged in an zip, lock was gone in a minute. Broad daylight on a busy shopping street near UC Berkeley. Tossed my bike in the van and drove off. I was happy it was easy to get my bike home but it made me wonder about security...
Old 03-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The lock on the boot is a cylinder type pretty well protected, but nothing is absolute. Anyway, it seems pretty good.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up One of the frequent.....

......questions I get, "what kind of hitch is that?"

The Hensley bewilders most folks, along with a cable wheel lock we feel pretty secure.

Bob
Old 03-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I understand that there have been trailers stolen while in storage but has anyone ever had a trailer stolen while using it?
Maybe I just have a case of "Pollyanna" like innocence but I can't imagine someone stealing an actively used trailer. Am I missing something?
Bruce
I'll admit I've never heard of a trailer being stolen while in use. But they certainly get a lot of attention in the campgrounds!

It all depends on how much you are willing to lose. Our trailer is vintage, and it's really one of a kind at this point. If something happened to it, we could get another Caravel (with a LOT of searching), but we could never replace it. I don't trust the insurance to actually pay out enough to really replace it with one in the same condition. It's the most valuable thing I own! Sometimes we like to leave the dogs in the trailer while we head into town for a quick dinner, and of course their security is the most important. So those factors contribute to make me a little paranoid about it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
As I'm relatively new to Airstreaming, I asked one of the sales people at my local dealer about theft. Coming from the UK where anything with wheels is considered thievable, I was concerned; there, people use the full blown Denver Boot with their trailers because they are especially attractive to, er, a certain section of the community. My friendly sales guy said that he'd only heard of peripheral equipment going missing but not whole trailers. I do take some precautions when I leave the Airstream but I'm thinking I might just add a good quality motorcycle security chain to my inventory this year. I don't think I'm paranoid but a couple of hundred dollars is small change when you consider the cost of the Airstream.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A coupler lock or Hensley hitch can be ignored if the safety chains are available for hookup by the crook. A wheel lock on one wheel of a tandem axle trailer is silly if the wheel can be dropped off.

We have to understand the people who market this stuff are there to make money, not necessarily to protect your trailer. Perhaps thoughtful multiple locking systems are our best bet for security, enough to keep them busy and make enough noise that their risk factor of getting caught in the act is high.

Time, noise and light are their enemy (except in remote locations) and our friend. Increase all of them.

doug k
Old 03-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
So, if you boot your trailer or otherwise lock one or more wheels, do you boot street side or curb side? Street side would be nice and discrete while camping, only noticeable when someone goes to unplug the umbilicals.

For my Interstate motorhome, the choice of wheel to lock would be obvious; driver's side front. Just not sure what's best on a trailer.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #20
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
What is the lock like on it? I always figure that's the weakest point. I worry about our little trailer when we leave it unattended too - it's so little just about anything with a ball could haul it away!
The weakest point is that they are usually quite easy to remove if the tire is partially deflated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Does anyone use a good quality motor-cycle security lock and chain on their tandem wheels? Tying up two wheels sounds reasonably secure...
I've attached a photo. I use a hardened security chain and a large, high-quality padlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
It's vanishingly rare. All the people showing up here and posting about their stolen trailer in the vain hope that doing so will lead to its return fit a different pattern. The trailers are stolen at night from industrial/commercial areas, often from a gated yard at a small business. Rarely, one is stolen while left unused at a remote location. They don't get stolen from campgrounds or residential areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream-chain.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	180244