Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2003, 08:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Dickinson , Texas
Camping howto...

Since this is my first A/S and RV, I have a few questions.

1. Do I have to park in a space with a certain type of electrical hook up to fit my A/S plug type? Are there adapters that prevent this from being an issue? Do I need to worry about 50w, 30w and all that?

2. Are water connections a standard type hose? Can I just use my garden hose?

3. What do I need to connect to a sewer hookup? I don't think I have any type of tubing that came with the A/S.

I know these sound like stupid questions, but I am a big newbie.

Thanks for your wisdom!
old_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:10 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Connections

Virtually all campground hookups are the standard 30 amp connection that will fit your Airstream plug. Where there is 50 amp service, it is in addition to the 30 amp service in at least 99% of cases. In fact, most campground boxes have all three types of receptical.

You should always carry the adapter to plug your 30 amp plug into a standard household outlet type. You can then plug in at home. I have found a couple places over the years where the 30 amp service was kaput; the adapter allowed me to plug in to the household type socket without moving the trailer to another site. A 25' 30 amp extension cord is also a good idea to carry. I have been able to get service from an empty adjacent site when the service failed at my site.

Water connections are a standard hose bib. Don't use your garden hose; use one of the white RV hoses to preserve the quality and taste of your water supply. Garden hoses leach chemicals into the water. Also, get a pressure regulator and put it on the end of your hose where you connect to the campground supply. The regulator will protect your hose and your trailer from over pressure in the campground supply. I carry two 25' white hoses.

You should carry at least two 10' sewer hoses; better yet, a 10' and a 20' hose. A lot of campgrounds are poorly laid out.Pay a little extra and get the better quality hoses; the cheap ones just do not last. For connections, you need the adapter to attach to the trailer, connectors to attach hose to hose when you need more length, and an airtight connection to the campground pipe. Some places will require a foam collar or screw-in connection by campground riules or local ordanince. I use the blue twist-on connectors I get at Camping World.

You might look at what is available at http://www.campingworld.com
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:17 AM   #3
Contributing Member

By the way

I should have added, those are not stupid questions at all. That is what this forum is about and there are plenty of folks here ready to help a newcomer.

Welcome to the Airstream famiily.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-20-2003, 09:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Welcome old_silver!

Your Airstream has a 30 amp connector on the end of it's electrical cord. Most campgrounds have 30 amp connections, but I have run into some at state parks that only have a 20 amp. For this you need an adaptor. These adaptors are usually available at the campgrounds themselves, or any RV store, and even Wal Mart. I would not advise running your air conditioner with a 20 amp adaptor, as it can overheat and start to melt, possibly causing a fire. Don't ask how I know this!

Water connections are standard "garden hose" type. Buy a white RV type hose, as a garden hose will make the water taste like a garden hose.

Your Airstream uses a Thetford sewer connection, which is not the standard RV sewer connection. It is slightly larger. An adaptor can be purchased at an RV supply house, or Camping World. Once you have the adaptor, you can get sewer hose at Wal Mart or again, any RV supply house. You may also want a sewer hose support cradle, (Slinky) to keep the hose from kinking and blocking the flow.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions. That's what we are all here for!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Old Silver...

We bought our A/S not to long ago and new nothing about nothing. Without the help of many of these folks we would still be trying to figure out how to get the step down. I lift my glass to the many members who have helped us through our long learning curve.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2003, 12:51 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Dickinson , Texas
Pahaska, Pick,
Thanks for your help. I was able to go by an RV place a lunch and get everything that I (think) I needed according to your suggestions. This weekend will be our maiden voyage for camping. If I don't have something I need, I'm blaming you .
old_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 01:07 PM   #7
Contributing Member

More stuff

For a longer range view of what folks feel it is important to carry, take a look at this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=3099

In that thread you will find everything from the minimum to take along when picking up a new/old trailer to what a full timer in a 34-footer carries with him. Depending on how you intend to use the Airstream, there is a lot of good info here.
WBCCI #9632