Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
as hopeful

Camping at/near Mount Vernon Washington

Hi:
Planning on going to Mount Vernon (Washington) Easter weekend - and wondering if anyone has a camping experinces to share.
Thanks - and you folks are grrrreat!
regards, peter
pdq1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
You may want to PM robandzoe. He camps in Northern Va regularly.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #3
_

. , .
mount vernon washington....

is that the tulip festival time?

my camping log for the skagit valley is 12 years past, but wow are the flowers pretty.

i do recall staying in a "new" state park back then, steelhead park? and also camped in the 'mt vernon rv park'...

one was electric only the other full hookups, but who knows now.

check out the pretty flowers

i'm sure the norwesterners will be on soon to help you out.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi -

I can recommend Bay View State Park, just outside of Burlington (not far from Mt. Vernon). As the name suggests, it overlooks Padilla Bay. The best sites are 2-8, which are close to the water. During low tides, the bay isn't the best for beachcombing, as it becomes one huge mud flat. The sunsets are very nice, though.

A little farther out, Deception Pass is very popular, but you'd be driving to the northern tip of Whidbey Island, so I'm not sure if that's going to be too far for you. Still, great park, lots of hiking trails, right on the water, good beachcombing, bald eagle sightings, etc.

If you wanted to head over toward the North Cascades, Rasar State Park is very pretty. Mostly shaded sites with lots of trees, and it sits along the Skagit River. Bay View is probably going to be the closest to Mt. Vernon, though.

Happy travels~
Old 01-17-2008, 08:21 AM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
And then there's the camping around Mt Vernon near Washington DC!

Have a great time.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
pdq and 2air' -
The park you mention is Howard Miller Steelhead Park, on the Skagit River, in Rockport, WA. It is 37 miles east of I-5, a very pretty location, and not without risk of snow Nov-Feb; photos are from last November. Here's a link to the park: Howard Miller Steelhead Park
It is the central location for the annual Bald Eagle Festival, this year Jan 26 and 27.
Mark
Attached Images

Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
PDQ

We've camped at Deception Pass State Park and it's beautiful. It can get busy so a reservation would be important. It's not too far to Mt. Vernon. We've driven past Bay View State Park but not stayed there. It looks to be a nice spot and not far from Mt. Vernon.

The Campground at Rockport is also very nice but a ways out of Mt. Vernon. We've camped there many times with a car club group in the past and it is quiet with nice spots. If you do go there be cautious of the State Trooper at Concrete who parks his car just the other side of the pedestrian flashing light and nails tourists who don't realize the speed limit is down to 20 MPH when the lights are flashing. He's a bane to travelers.

Barry
Old 01-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Mt. Vernon , Washington
There's a nice campground with hookups just south of Bellingham on Chuckanut drive. Beautiful drive, btw. We've stayed there and at Padilla Bay state Park. I prefer the one near Bellingham, altho they are both nice.
Also a campground on the south end of Camano Island.
Have fun.
Loren
L&C Woogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
as hopeful

Hey everyone - thanks for this info.
Always helpful info to learn about.

Familiar with the Washington State Parks - with Deception Pass being a favourite (and personally, I would not want to try to go there on a weekend without a reservation).

Have heard there's a couple of parks (private) near/in Mount Vernon - and wondered about people's experiences with them.

Now, where is Mount Vernon in relation to Washington DC (boy that sure would be a weekend drive from Vancouver BC!!)

regards, peter
pdq1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #10

Springfield , Virginia
We're going to go to Mt. Vernon soon. They're giving tours of the basement since it was featured in the recent National Treasure movie. That's the real Mt. Vernon, home of George Washington, in Alexandria, VA.

It's about 15 miles south of DC.

OK, so I join this site to lurk and find out about Airstreams and my first post is a semi-sarcastic answer about the "wrong" location.

Now where is my copy of, "How to Win Friends and Influence Others"....

There's an RV show in Chantilly, VA this weekend if you want to come by.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
1992 29' Excella
1976 25' Tradewind
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/2slides
Anacortes , Washington
Thumbs up Try Anacortes, WA

We always stay at Pioneer Trails Campground in Anacortes. The park is very clean and well run with good, private sites under tall fir trees. It's quiet and not very expensive and has free wifi.

The location is great: about 10 miles from Mt. Vernon; maybe five miles from Deception Pass; and 3 miles from the best coffee in the US at Penguin on Commercial in Anacortes (stop in and say "Hi" to Aaron and the baristas from "Aunt Carol, the Airstreamer" - you might get a free coffee) .
wnew1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
wnew1130

Is that the one on the north side of the highway just before you come into Anacortes? We thought we saw a couple of silver trailers in that one as we blasted past this summer on our way into town for emergency coffee and breakfast but I can't remember the name of the place we ended up at. Funky place, old dining room tables, very good food and service, and very busy. I like Anacortes. There was an Airstream for rent on the main drag.

Barry
Old 01-18-2008, 08:14 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
1992 29' Excella
1976 25' Tradewind
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/2slides
Anacortes , Washington
Rivet Penguin Coffee

No, I think you're writing of a little market that serves breakfast and lunch. It's a good place for a quick meal.

Penguin is a coffee house the locals go to. It has free wifi and you are never rushed. They serve Tully Brothers coffee and wonderful, homemade baked goods. There are penguins all over the place and even a traveling penguin, Murray, that you can take on a vacation with you (if you promise to return him and send him back with a trip journal). We took Murray to a Rocky Mountain VAC rally in 2005. He had a ball with that crazy vintage crew.
wnew1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #14
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
You may want to PM robandzoe. He camps in Northern Va regularly.
Ohhh? Washington state! I have no clue!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnew1130
No, I think you're writing of a little market that serves breakfast and lunch. It's a good place for a quick meal.

Penguin is a coffee house the locals go to. It has free wifi and you are never rushed. They serve Tully Brothers coffee and wonderful, homemade baked goods. There are penguins all over the place and even a traveling penguin, Murray, that you can take on a vacation with you (if you promise to return him and send him back with a trip journal). We took Murray to a Rocky Mountain VAC rally in 2005. He had a ball with that crazy vintage crew.
Thanks for the tip on Murray. He may have to take a rod run/vintage trailer camping trip down the Oregon Coast in early September with our car club. Along with my buddies Christmas scene camel and wise man we intend to do the same thing with.

Barry