Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
NSA uploads from your devices can be data intensive.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #42
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Maggie is correct, the jetpack is your best option....
Old 09-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #43
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
NSA uploads from your devices can be data intensive.
I heard ya. Why don't they just get it from Cloud storage like the Russians Hackers and Chinese Military.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Great thread everyone. Special thanks to Boldadventure for great a explanation.
One thing I might share is an analogy of the difference between speed and bandwidth.
(Speed), is like being on a one lane highway and the max speed limit is 55 mph. Hypothetically, How many VW Beatles bumper to bumper can travel from point A to point B in one hour?
(bandwidth), would be like a 8 lane highway still having the same 55 mph speed limit. You can get 8 time more cars in the same amount of time.
Consider the cars as packets of data and the speed is 186,000 mps max and the lanes on the highway as copper wires.
Speed vs bandwidth.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Sinjin,

I've had weird spikes in data too. It was enough to indicate we downloaded a movie, but we didn't. Verizon could not explain it, changed the phone number to see if that changed anything. Nothing changed though the biggest spikes have stopped, but we go over the 5 GB limit every month by a little less than originally (average amount probably less than half a GB), so instead of getting billed for 7, it is 6. I don't think out usage really changed, but maybe their system of counting data (and minutes) is very flawed and how would anyone really know?

Gene
I installed a usage monitor on both our computers, I can look for the website if you want. We had previously disabled auto updates which suck data like mad. Turned out the data was supposedly being used while we were in bed. What turned the tide for us was when a verizon customer assistant, in person, asked what we were doing during a one hour time frame and I replied "making love" in not quite so elegant terms. After some blustering on his side I was given a phone connected to someone who ultimately fixed everything for us.

Also note that if you have a mifi that registers usage we were told that it is frequently 24 hours behind actual usage.
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #46
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We've become accustomed to being screwed by Verizon. I just don't have the time or patience to fight with these people on the phone. Today it took 20 minutes to order a drug from my Medicare drug plan, then I tried to change our address and get a new Medicare card. They tell you to sign up for their website to do it, but they lie and they then tell you to call them. Then, I was waiting on the phone for 20 minutes (reading, sending e-mails at the same time), but despite how important my call is to them, no one answered but a computer that wanted to talk to me. I don't like talking to computers, but I do like yelling at them even thought they don't care. Never got to talk to a human.

I will drop Verizon whenever I can and make sure lots of people know it. The jet pack, or mifi, or whatever they call it this year is very conventient, somewhat reliable (sure was slow yesterday), but they try to stick it to you whenever they can.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We've been touring the Gaspe and are noW on PEI. We've been amazed by the speed of the campground internet. We've streamed netflix with no problem. The campgrounds been pretty empty but we've been told it's very good even when it's high season. So I guess it can be done right if they want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums