Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #21
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Yeah there is a lot to complain about. Cable companies are manipulating prices and exhorting people. And they can get away with it. Because folks will just keep paying.

Back in my home state, when my friend and I decided to move out of home offices and rent an office space together, we got a space directly across from my neighborhood. But Cox Cable insisted that I had to pay MORE for worse service because it was a commercial address.

Just like text messages. They cost networks nothing! A single text is usually under a BYTE, yet they are huge revenue generators. So to this day, still nickeling and dimming folks for text messages.

Of course, the thing that always urked me the most was using Mbps in advertising speeds.

One thing that often gives people confusion is the difference between a Megabyte (used for file size) and a Megabit (used for download speeds). People often assume that a download speed of 1 Megabit per second (1 Mbps) will allow them to download a 1 Megabyte file in one second. This is not the case, a Megabit is 1/8 as big as a Megabyte, meaning that to download a 1MB file in 1 second you would need a connection of 8Mbps.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks (EVERYONE) for your great input into my questions

Cheers
Doug
Old 09-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
The upside here, is that Verizon throttles your internet speeds. Millenicom does not, as they have an agreement with Verizion.
I wonder if you could expand on this statement.

Are you saying that if I am set up in a campground with my Verizon MiFi on a Verizon contract, and the guy in the next space has the same MiFi but purchasing service through Millenicom, Verizon's network will give him priority over me?

That's news to me.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:21 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have our Verizon account set up with alerts that let me know when I am approaching going over data for the month.

It is cheaper to add to the plan than to pay the overage charges, and you can always take it back off it it was just something unusual.

Maggie
Old 09-03-2014, 04:23 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post

Are you saying that if I am set up in a campground with my Verizon MiFi on a Verizon contract, and the guy in the next space has the same MiFi but purchasing service through Millenicom, Verizon's network will give him priority over me?

That's news to me.
I can't imagine this to be true, and have never had an experience where I have signal but not able to use it.

Maggie
Old 09-03-2014, 05:39 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Most aren't in locations where they can actually provide that level of bandwidth.
Yeah. One of my favorite campgrounds, Camp Hatteras on the Outer Banks, sometimes has miserably slow internet connections (my 4G phone is usually faster). It hit me a couple years ago that they probably DO have the fastest connection they can get...on the Outer Banks. And sure enough, when we were there a couple weeks ago, the papers they gave us when we arrived said that their provider has bandwidth issues.

On the overloaded cell tower issue: Usually, if that happens and you need to get a message out, texting will still work (they're sent in header packets that phones use to communicate with the towers whether you're actively using the phone or not). If you or your recipient don't have a texting plan it might cost up to 20 cents, but it's probably worth it if the message is important enough.

We have AT&T personal phones, but my work phone is a Verizon. It has been interesting over the last year or two to note that Verizon generally does have better service in the remote areas. For example, we were camping at the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon in July, and our AT&T phones were useless in the campground, but with Verizon I was able to get a good enough signal outside to check weather.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #27
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post

That's news to me.
Yes/No. You really shouldn't have to worry about this too much based on your usage habits. This happens to folks who are utilizing a lot of bandwidth and only if your tower is experiencing high demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I can't imagine this to be true, and have never had an experience where I have signal but not able to use it.

Maggie
Maggie, sadly it is true. Verizon claims this isn't throttling but "network optimization". In your policy with them:

Quote:
The difference between our Network Optimization practices and throttling is network intelligence. With throttling, your wireless data speed is reduced for your entire cycle, 100% of the time, no matter where you are. Network Optimization is based on the theory that all customers should have the best network possible, and if you’re not causing congestion for others, even if you are using a high amount of data, your connection speed should be as good as possible

However, it's basically marketing mobo jumbo. Even the FCC has recently rejected this and wants Verizon to explain better: FCC chairman rejects Verizon's throttling defense - CNET - Basically they are using their own definition of throttling, and then saying they don't do it. Because that's not how they define it. To everyone else, it's any intentional slowing down of your speeds based on XYZ criteria.

A google search will result in a lot info overload on the subject.

I suspect most of you really shouldn't have to worry about this too much.

First they are claiming they're only doing it to unlimited plan holders, the top 5% of users and anyone using over 4.7gb of data per month. They are also claiming that it's only when a tower is experiencing high demand. Which could be the case in a park.

That's Verizon's defense. That being said, a lot of folks have independently tested this and experienced throttling when they go over 4.7gb with regular 10gb plans. And some have reported their speeds being reduced based on file size. Or throttling of Netflix. These are independent tests, and really, folks who do tests are probably high demand users anyways.

I think you can figure out if you have to worry about throttling.

I'm a front end web developer, it's how I support my family. So it's a concern of mine that my speeds be consistent. So I follow this pretty regularly.

I didn't want to alarm or worry anyone, just wanted to get some info out there.

Again, I don't think many of you have to worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
We have AT&T personal phones, but my work phone is a Verizon. It has been interesting over the last year or two to note that Verizon generally does have better service in the remote areas. For example, we were camping at the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon in July, and our AT&T phones were useless in the campground, but with Verizon I was able to get a good enough signal outside to check weather.
That's why I switched from Sprint. After traveling all over with a friend, I kept noticing who had signal and who didn't. I haven't been disappointed yet by the coverage.

Now, hope no one went cross-eyed reading all that.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You sound like one who knows so I'll take your word for it.

Not being one with unlimited usage, and never having experienced a problem I will not worry about this and remain a long-time, devoted, Verizon customer.

Maggie
Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bold', thanks for the explanation. I haven't noticed a "throttled" slow down in speed even though we always go over 4.7 GB. When we get over 5 GB, they send me an e-mail (they do for 75% and 90% also). You can enable those warnings on their website.

We are also long time Verizon customers, but not devoted. I've called about our using more than they predicted by 50-100% and it takes a hour to get anywhere with them. It is the usual corporate phone agony. Sometimes they knock off a charge and if you are lucky you might hit on a new plan that is cheaper for the same thing and they'll switch you to it. They are always nice to talk to, but they are very limited in what they will do. I'd hate to have to work for one of these companies and have to lie to people every day.

We are at 5.54 GB today and it resets tonight. I ought to download something big .46 MB isn't big anymore) now just because I can and I paid for it, but it not worth my time. That .46 GB costs me $4.60. This post will chip off a little bit of it. There is a way on the Jet Pack to see what you used, but it can be 12 hours off, so I may have used it by now and don't know it. They just automatically add a GB and a $10 charge each time we go over whatever we paid for.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:

First they are claiming they're only doing it to unlimited plan holders, the top 5% of users and anyone using over 4.7gb of data per month. They are also claiming that it's only when a tower is experiencing high demand. Which could be the case in a park.

That's Verizon's defense. That being said, a lot of folks have independently tested this and experienced throttling when they go over 4.7gb with regular 10gb plans. And some have reported their speeds being reduced based on file size. Or throttling of Netflix. These are independent tests, and really, folks who do tests are probably high demand users anyways.

I think you can figure out if you have to worry about throttling.

I'm a front end web developer, it's how I support my family. So it's a concern of mine that my speeds be consistent. So I follow this pretty regularly.

I didn't want to alarm or worry anyone, just wanted to get some info out there.

Again, I don't think many of you have to worry about it.
Thanks very much for this insight.

I have been using a Verizon 4G MiFi on the road for several years now, and one of their 3g EVDO USB modems for several years before that. To give Verizon their due, they have done an unbelievable job of building out their 4G LTE network. I never cease to be amazed to turn on the modem at some campground out back of beyond, and have it cheerfully give me 2 or 3 bars of 4G signal.

Having said that, you never know what you are going to run into.

For example: I have both a Droid 4 smartphone with the 3 Gb data plan and the MiFi with the 5 Gb plan. It's kinda handy to be able to look at the smartphone and see what kind of data coverage you have before setting up the laptop.

Except--the data coverage is not always the same on the two devices. One campground in northeastern Wisconsin has given me the same results on two different occasions. The smartphone shows roaming voice coverage and no data coverage. I assumed I didn't have data until another camper said they had data coverage on their MiFi. So I turned on the MiFi and lo and behold, a fairly decent [3G] data connection.

My theory is that, since the phone is showing "roaming" on voice, that Verizon was paying a premium to the local carrier for data. And decided to tell $30-a-month smartphone data plan customers "no coverage" but give $50-a-month MiFi customers a data connection. Who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
We are also long time Verizon customers, but not devoted.
Very well put. You have to watch Verizon. I have had them bill me for data overage when I didn't come anywhere near using my monthly allotment, and back when I had land line service with them, charge me for "inside wire maintenance" for which I most emphatically didn't sign up.

Quote:
They are always nice to talk to, but they are very limited in what they will do. I'd hate to have to work for one of these companies and have to lie to people every day.
Ditto. That seems to be their customer service strategy. They are always cheerful and helpful, but in the long run they seldom actually do anything to solve the problem. I have had customer service representatives assure me of something which the next customer service representative assured me was not true. I don't think they were being dishonest; more likely the plans are so complicated--and change so often--their own employees don't understand them. (Can you say, "shell game"?!)
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:23 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
my experience with verizon for the past two years echo all the drama listed above.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Verizon, and many other corporations, operate on short term results and forget that someday it will bounce back and bite them. How many large corporations that followed that business model in the past 50 years are still around? GM is a perfect example. When I was a kid they made the best production cars inb the world, then they got fat and complacent and turned out crap and the Japanese crushed them. GM's cars improved tremendously with competition, but the past caught up with them. Reputation is hard to regain.

Hopefully the FCC will chose to regulate these companies and make them be consumer oriented, but that will take some time. Two decades ago companies that leased lines from ATT drove long distance rates down; now the same is happening with cell service. When the wifi contract runs out, goodbye Verizon.

Gene

Old 09-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yoweee.

I have to say the customer service people at Verizon are not the best in terms of problem-solving. Seem to be reading off a script, and know only what is on the paper. That is true for most help desks, in my experience.

I generally go right to the tech support folks, who know what they are doing and have been extremely helpful in resolving issues and exploring options. They also have a lot of flexibility, as opposed to the help desk and even in the stores.

The data on our cell and the Mi-Fi are combined in some kind of sharing plan....so that anything unused on one can be piggy-backed onto the other, without extra costs. They offered that aftr looking at what data was used, and from what device.

It may be, for me, that relative ignorance is bliss. Not in the practice of streaming movies, it may be that I simply have not experienced what some of you have.....therefore, not an issue for me.

What I like about Verizon is the coverage.

That's what's most important to me at this point in my life.

Maggie
Old 09-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Coverage is why we selected Verizon, but the others are catching up.

I have spoken to tech support about how much data they say we are using. I got them to change the number for the wifi unit to check whether we were being hacked. Didn't do any good. They told me they would check from their end and call me back—that was about 5 months ago and they haven't called. At least Dish lowered my bill by about $35 for a year with the same service when I complained about their costs—that took an hour too.

Gene

Old 09-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I always take names and keep notes, when calling to resolve a problem.

If someone did not call me back, I would be calling them back. There should be notes in your account of whatever discussed, so that someone else can pick it up.

The tech support folks should be able to help with a breakdown of usage, Gene....days, times, etc., to isolate what the draw is.

It would take a lot for me to leave Verizon, but if I could be substantially better served by another provider.....I would go.

Maggie
Old 09-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #36
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I always take names and keep notes, when calling to resolve a problem.

Maggie
That's what I used to tell my clients when they had no records of anything. But, I suspect just like them, I trust my memory (or what's left of it) and can't be bothered following up sometimes. I don't forget what company has treated me badly. The companies which lease from the big boys give you the same service, and sometimes better, at a lower price. I wish I could remember the name of the company (started with an "M") that did that for long distance back in the 1980's—they were corrupt and the company eventually folded, but when things were working, they were worth using.

Gene

Old 09-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Quote:
Coverage is why we selected Verizon, but the others are catching up.

I have spoken to tech support about how much data they say we are using. I got them to change the number for the wifi unit to check whether we were being hacked. Didn't do any good. They told me they would check from their end and call me back—that was about 5 months ago and they haven't called. At least Dish lowered my bill by about $35 for a year with the same service when I complained about their costs—that took an hour too.

Gene
I had a major problem with my first verizon mifi. We were going along fine for the first two weeks using about the same data as we used on Foxfi. Then when we reached the end of our trial period the data usage suddenly spiked to 8 GB in one day and the next 3 GB when we weren't even using the system. We ended up with 17 GB over our 10 GB data limit in 3 days and weren't streaming or doing anything but facebook and going to websites like this one.

Finally got them to replace our mifi with an upgraded version and have not gone past 6 gig a month since. also got them to refund us for the weird month of usage. It only took about a jillion hours on the phone to get someone to ok the exchange and credit.

But we go cross country twice a year so what are ya going to do. :P
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #38
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
There is estimated to be 7.3 BILLION cell phones in use world wide. And you're wondering about bandwidth?

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Sometimes, I think we would all be better off sending smoke signals from our LP gas campfires-in-a-can...or perhaps flashing Morse Code with our LED running lights. Fooey on technology.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #40
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sinjin,

I've had weird spikes in data too. It was enough to indicate we downloaded a movie, but we didn't. Verizon could not explain it, changed the phone number to see if that changed anything. Nothing changed though the biggest spikes have stopped, but we go over the 5 GB limit every month by a little less than originally (average amount probably less than half a GB), so instead of getting billed for 7, it is 6. I don't think out usage really changed, but maybe their system of counting data (and minutes) is very flawed and how would anyone really know?

Gene