Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Toronto , Ontario
Campground near Algonquin's West Gate?

Hello all,

A few search attempts didn't help me out, so I thought that I'd post and hope for some help.

I had planned to go to Algonquin Park the first week of September, but we've had to alter our reservations for the Park itself. I now would like to camp from August 29th (Friday) until the first Tuesday in September. The trouble is, my site inside Algonquin was reserved for the 31st till the following Sunday. Everything is taken inside the park for the 30th.

I am very familiar with Algonquin, but this is my first trip in a new Airstream. I have only ever been tent camping in the area before. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a decent campground near the west gate of the park. I have a 23' Safari SE (now a Flying Cloud), a two year old, and two dogs to entertain for two days until our park reservations can be used.

Google has given me a list of options in the area, but I'm wondering if anyone has any first hand recommendations. I'm interested in the nicest option, even if it is pricier than average.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ross
Toronto_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
First off - congrats on your new Airstream!

Wish I could help you out - while I'm heading to Algonquin this weekend myself (Two Rivers), I'm not as familiar with the West Gate area.

I'll be interested in hearing any recommendations myself, as I'm always looking for a good campground.

And good luck with entertaining your crew as well!

Cheers
Old 08-27-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ross,

This may be an opportunity to try our boondocking. Since you've been a tent camper, boondocking would be luxury. I've been through Algonquin, but can't remember much except the beauty of that part of Ontario.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Have you tried Algonquin Trails Campground?

Algonquin Trails Camping Resort - RV Trailer and Campgrounds

I haven't stayed there myself but have been eyeing it for a future trip.

If you are in a pinch there is a campground in Katrine called Almaguin Parklands. It is under new management this year and friends are staying there and say it's great. It is 20 mins north of Huntsville. They haven't got their website up yet but hopefully their number is the same Telephone: (705) 382-3802 . There is even a honey wagon p.s. it also has a small lake and a pool.
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Toronto , Ontario
Hello all,

Thanks for the advice. I booked at Algonquin Trails for two nights before I carry on to the provincial park.

It looks to be family run, and I was extensively questioned about my dogs. They don't allow some breeds apparently. I like the fact that they monitor the site so well because I like it nice and quiet at night when I camp.
Toronto_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote