Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2021, 06:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Campendium.com: Choices for ALL Camping

We spoke with an owner of an Avion Trailer on our latest Off the Grid Boondocking adventure. He was High Tech with the equipment and using the local excellent service within a mile of a remote campsite. Probably to serve Cedar City, Utah and the Cedar Breaks National Monument.

I never heard of Campendium. He uses this website, all of the time, and found this camping area we regularly Boondock. This was his First Time. No searching maps or checking out dead ends. No effort.

He lives and travels in his Avion and finds these areas on his laptop computer.

Go to www.Campendium.com.

Search Site: Cedar Breaks Dispersed Camping, Utah

He will look at a State and select the area he wants to visit. Then checks out the options and reads the comments of those who have visited these sites.

Elevation shown as 9,514, but closer to 10,250... warm days and cool evenings when 106F in Cedar City, Utah to the west. It is convenient, lots of open spaces, fully off the grid with no facilities. Cedar Breaks National Monument, Mammoth Caves, Navajo Lake, Sink Holes with Agate semi precious gemstone in the general area, Brian Head ski area are in this same general area and just a peaceful large area to set up camp.

Day time temperature: mid 70's
Evening temperature: low 50's
July 3rd to 5th, 2021

Was I surprised when he searched Cedar Breaks, Utah and selected the area to camp for a couple weeks. It was among those campsites on this website. and

I rate this area... Five Stars for convenience, climate in the hot Summer Months and camping among other Off the Grid Boondockers. Great location to tour the Cedar Breaks National Monument within two miles or less. Walking distance as parking is tight at the Monument.

I am low tech. This site is Easy for ME to navigate. Chris, the Avion Owner, had been to other sites that I thought few were aware existed... they were also on this site.

Technology has made the Impossible... possible. Take a look. If this excellent location can be located with an easy search... other campers even post their experiences at this and other camping areas.

It is now so easy to find some RV Campsites for pay and also Campsites at no cost in the National Forest and Bureau of Land Management open spaces.

"Boondocking Bob" was a neighbor with the motorcycle and hammock campsite. A friend told him about this area. Everything he needed... was on his motorcycle. Imagine that! Made our 27 foot Manhattan Apartment look even bigger.

Try it. You may like it and tell us what you found and did the ratings fit your expectations. Those that camped here... like it. You will too. Find it and try it out when in Eastern Utah. To the East a half mile are Open Park campsites for multiple RV's, among the Forest... if you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0086.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	399487   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0087.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	389.0 KB
ID:	399488  

Name:	DSCN0083.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	399489   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0084.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	454.4 KB
ID:	399490  

Name:	DSCN0090.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	399491  
Old 07-14-2021, 07:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Yes, Campendium was started in 2015 by full time Airstreamers to compile camping information in one spot.

Great resource and we're glad to be supporting members for all their hard work. They have an annual t-shirt sale.

Many AirForum members use them in addition to their regular resources.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
. . .
I am low tech. This site is Easy for ME to navigate. Chris, the Avion Owner, had been to other sites that I thought few were aware existed... they were also on this site.

Technology has made the Impossible... possible. Take a look. If this excellent location can be located with an easy search... other campers even post their experiences at this and other camping areas.
. . .
Thanks for the new thread Ray.

FYI Campendium has been mentioned on AF a few other times:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Camp...=airforums.com
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f38...es-217988.html

Thanks again,

Peter

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:00 AM   #4
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Just an FYI - Another great resource is www.CampgroundReviews.com. It's owned by AIR Forums (in a way). Basically we had a campground directory here (see the more tab in the navigation at the top) but we didn't get enough reviews to be comprehensive. The software was also lacking but that was like 17 years ago. As time passed, we ended up buying Campground Reviews so that we could encourage our forum members to keep contributing. Your login from AIR Forums also works to log you into Campground Reviews.

So if you decide to leave reviews, please consider leaving them on Campground Reviews as well. That way you can support another Airstream owner managed online endeavor.

My take is the Campendium currently has better boondocking data and it looks like they are trying to grow into the campgrounds with infrastructure area. Where Campground Reviews has better data on campgrounds with infrastructure (ie. hookups) and is growing with more boondocking data. Two resources which approached RVers needs from different directions. Both are great resources IMO.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Thanks for the good update.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Campground Reviews... promote it on the AirForum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Just an FYI - Another great resource is www.CampgroundReviews.com. It's owned by AIR Forums (in a way). Basically we had a campground directory here (see the more tab in the navigation at the top) but we didn't get enough reviews to be comprehensive. The software was also lacking but that was like 17 years ago. As time passed, we ended up buying Campground Reviews so that we could encourage our forum members to keep contributing. Your login from AIR Forums also works to log you into Campground Reviews.

So if you decide to leave reviews, please consider leaving them on Campground Reviews as well. That way you can support another Airstream owner managed online endeavor.

My take is the Campendium currently has better boondocking data and it looks like they are trying to grow into the campgrounds with infrastructure area. Where Campground Reviews has better data on campgrounds with infrastructure (ie. hookups) and is growing with more boondocking data. Two resources which approached RVers needs from different directions. Both are great resources IMO.

What may pay for the site are the Commercial Campgrounds paying a fee. The FREE NFS and BLM information, adds to the variety of options. This was all new to me. I do not search for sites that offer this information, but after the limited number of potential campsites for pay or free... this is a valuable tool.

I would like to see the AirForum Camp website(s) to promote themselves and expand. It is a very helpful tool, as information is of great value to the majority of RV and Trailer travelers. The younger than myself crowd quickly discover good information sources... Dry camping and RV / Trailer camping are now becoming popular. For how long, time will tell.

I do not carry a cell phone. Nancy carries two, each having a different service network in the event we are out of one tower's ability to use, but the other cell phone has service. When Off the Grid and needing help or information... cell service is important. When not an emergency, we spend no time on the cell phone. Our home phone takes messages. Our cell phones are for traveling situations and emergencies. Not constantly checking for missed calls and emails.

Often we have NO cell service and do not need satellite. Some day when I become a true Human Bean... will it all make sense. All I ask now is that my Flashlight works.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
We use both Campendium and campgroundreviews a lot when planning trips. Recommend both.
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Hudson , Ohio
Thanks to all for the great info. Now all I have to do is convince my beautiful wife that we don't have to have full hookups at a KOA all the time! When by myself, I travel like the pictured motorcyclist, except the hammock. Do you know what the Bear Management team in the Smokies call a hammock? A Bear Pinata! Filled with snacks!
Spike
SpikePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:44 PM   #9
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Great looking camping area!

Quote:
We spoke with an owner of an Avion Trailer on our latest Off the Grid Boondocking adventure. He was High Tech with the equipment and using the local excellent service within a mile of a remote campsite. Probably to serve Cedar City, Utah and the Cedar Breaks National Monument.

I never heard of Campendium. He uses this website, all of the time, and found this camping area we regularly Boondock. This was his First Time. No searching maps or checking out dead ends. No effort.

He lives and travels in his Avion and finds these areas on his laptop computer.

Go to www.Campendium.com.

Search Site: Cedar Breaks Dispersed Camping, Utah

He will look at a State and select the area he wants to visit. Then checks out the options and reads the comments of those who have visited these sites.

Elevation shown as 9,514, but closer to 10,250... warm days and cool evenings when 106F in Cedar City, Utah to the west. It is convenient, lots of open spaces, fully off the grid with no facilities. Cedar Breaks National Monument, Mammoth Caves, Navajo Lake, Sink Holes with Agate semi precious gemstone in the general area, Brian Head ski area are in this same general area and just a peaceful large area to set up camp.

Day time temperature: mid 70's
Evening temperature: low 50's
July 3rd to 5th, 2021

Was I surprised when he searched Cedar Breaks, Utah and selected the area to camp for a couple weeks. It was among those campsites on this website. and

I rate this area... Five Stars for convenience, climate in the hot Summer Months and camping among other Off the Grid Boondockers. Great location to tour the Cedar Breaks National Monument within two miles or less. Walking distance as parking is tight at the Monument.

It is now so easy to find some RV Campsites for pay and also Campsites at no cost in the National Forest and Bureau of Land Management open spaces.

"Boondocking Bob" was a neighbor with the motorcycle and hammock campsite. A friend told him about this area. Everything he needed... was on his motorcycle. Imagine that! Made our 27 foot Manhattan Apartment look even bigger.

Try it. You may like it and tell us what you found and did the ratings fit your expectations. Those that camped here... like it. You will too. Find it and try it out when in Eastern Utah. To the East a half mile are Open Park campsites for multiple RV's, among the Forest... if you want.
This area looks very nice Ray. Reminds me of the Bighorns along 14. Always enjoy your posts!
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Boondocking Bob... his wife prefers home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePoet View Post
Thanks to all for the great info. Now all I have to do is convince my beautiful wife that we don't have to have full hookups at a KOA all the time! When by myself, I travel like the pictured motorcyclist, except the hammock. Do you know what the Bear Management team in the Smokies call a hammock? A Bear Pinata! Filled with snacks!
Spike
I told Bob I was giving him the handle: Boondocking Bob. He agreed that is what he loves to do. His wife... stays home.

He started his motorcycle camping three years ago. Learned from Zero the motorcycle and dry camping... being a true adventurist his third year. He finds the motorcycle fits his minimalist Boondocking. His motorcycle was outfitted so everything he found necessary was... on board!

He had a friend traveling on a motorcycle, arriving at a Hotel at Cedar City, Utah. His wife does not like to travel on a motorcycle. He was coming to catch up with current events and an excuse to go on a road adventure and return home. He was not a Hammock Camper and preferred a Hotel Bed and Breakfast Traveler.

An Airstream of any length provides all the comforts anyone can ask. Once you are into the Double Axle Airstreams, the comfort level is straight up. Also having four tires to travel on less than perfect unpaved roads.

These websites are very convenient for those new into the traveling out of their comfort zone or the general area they reside. An entire trip can be planned ahead and include options.

AndyR may consider discussing and offering a separate Section on the Airforums camping and boondocking sites. Having this under 'One Roof' would help everyone new to traveling with an Airstream. The 'For Pay Sites' pay for the exposure to Airstream Owners directly and the Boondocking sites give alternatives when the For Pay Sites are not available.

Anyone who says their Airstream Trailer of any size is too... small. Catch up with Boondock Bob. They do not make longer motorcycles... yet.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:37 AM   #11

HAMILTON , Ontario
I would like to share my first camping experience here. It was 1 year ago. It was a Banff hiking 7-day tour. It was a great adventures experience at the best hikes in the Canadian Rockies. We spent 3 nights in Banff on this hiking tour, using it as a basecamp, exploring the delights of one of Canada’s most famous mountain towns. Then we head over to Golden, a more rustic and authentic Canadian mountain town without the crowds that Banff attracts. Hike some of Canada’s greatest trails by day and enjoy a glass of Canadian wine and a locally inspired meal by night, before returning to the hotel for a soothing soak in the hot tub.
SylviaPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:43 PM   #12
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:

AndyR may consider discussing and offering a separate Section on the Airforums camping and boondocking sites. Having this under 'One Roof' would help everyone new to traveling with an Airstream. The 'For Pay Sites' pay for the exposure to Airstream Owners directly and the Boondocking sites give alternatives when the For Pay Sites are not available.

Anyone who says their Airstream Trailer of any size is too... small. Catch up with Boondock Bob. They do not make longer motorcycles... yet.
Ray - AIR's sister site is www.CampgroundReviews.com and you can set up an account there using exactly the login you use here at AIR. It's great to read about Airstreamers personal experiences with campsites but the forum software isn't very suited to sorting and searching for specific places to camp.

Campground Reviews has interactive maps so you can visually locate great spots and detailed filters so you can search for a spot that has the features you desire - boondocking included. Once you find a park or area generally you'll find photos and reviews from other campers.

I recently camped here - check out the photos

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...s-landing-3150

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:25 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Dallas , Texas
How effective is the cell coverage map overlay? Obviously nothing is perfect, but is it very reliable when in remote areas?
Texarado is offline   Reply With Quote