Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Another thing that caught my attention is the motorcycles splitting the lanes between the traffic, I couldn't believe it when I saw it the first time, do they have a death wish?
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:19 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Splitting lanes is legal there. Not smart but legal. The only time I would try it is if traffic is totally stopped. I bet they don't wear helmets either.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
The mc's splitting traffic is not illegal in CA. There is quite a split of opinion whether it's dangerous. Called lane splitting, lane sharing, lane filtering, and lane weaving. It's quite startling when you don't see it coming.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Is it OK to tow your Airstream in HOV lanes as long as you have minimum number of occupants in the tow vehicle?

Kelvin
Old 07-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
It's amazing to me here in Northern California along the I-5 that so many drivers from Oregon and Washington which have the same speed limits blow through here above the speed limit and push the flow of traffic by tailgating and aggressive driving. I'm not just singleing out OR & WA. We have a bunch from B.C. also and to a lesser extent from every other state.

Don't they realize that most of the western states have a reciprocal agreement ?

That means if your ticketed here it will show up on your driving record in your home state, with all the points added to your license.

Or if your from California and are ticketed in another western state it will show up here.

All I can say to that is plan ahead and allow enough time to legally get where your going, after all the journey is half the fun.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I'm not out here with my Airstream, I'm here with our Gulfstream
In that case, stay below Mach 1

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Is it OK to tow your Airstream in HOV lanes as long as you have minimum number of occupants in the tow vehicle?

Kelvin
Short answer, NO.

Long answer, When towing or driving a 3 axle vehicle you are restricted to the right lane except when there are more than 2 lanes in your direction of travel then you are restricted to the 2 most right hand lanes.

Most all HOV lanes are the extreme left lane .

WBCCI #6269

Old 07-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
It's amazing to me here in Northern California along the I-5 that so many drivers from Oregon and Washington which have the same speed limits blow through here above the speed limit and push the flow of traffic by tailgating and aggressive driving. I'm not just singleing out OR & WA. We have a bunch from B.C. also and to a lesser extent from every other state.

Don't they realize that most of the western states have a reciprocal agreement ?

That means if your ticketed here it will show up on your driving record in your home state, with all the points added to your license.

Or if your from California and are ticketed in another western state it will show up here.

All I can say to that is plan ahead and allow enough time to legally get where your going, after all the journey is half the fun.

Washington's Max speed is 70 like California's. Oregon's however is 65. That is painfully slow if one is entering from Idaho where it is 80.

When in California, I try to travel with the flow of traffic and stay out of the forbidden lanes when towing.

Ken

P.S. The one thing Californians do that annoys me is putting "the" in front of highway names. Everywhere else it's I-5. I-80, ETC. Why is California the only one who says, "the I-5"? Is someone getting paid by the word?

It reminds me of Trump calling himself "the Donald"

Ken
Old 07-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Colorado up the Front Range, posted speed limit 70 on the weekends.

Colorado actual speed going west up into the mountains on the weekend. 0 to 20mph going with the flow in all lanes. If it is SNOWING. If it is not snowing, the same.

Going DOWN back into Denver... 0 to 70, snow, rain, shine, fog or "road closed to traffic".
Old 07-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post

P.S. The one thing Californians do that annoys me is putting "the" in front of highway names. Everywhere else it's I-5. I-80, ETC. Why is California the only one who says, "the I-5"? Is someone getting paid by the word?

Ken
Actually, I believe that is an LA thing. Up north, they also find it odd that we do that. They say, "take 101," whereas we always say, "take the 101". I wonder how this evolved, but, as a born and bred Angeleno, it's how I roll.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Washington's Max speed is 70 like California's. Oregon's however is 65. That is painfully slow if one is entering from Idaho where it is 80.

Ken
Actually The max speed limit in California 65 m.p.h. except when posted otherwise.

The max speed limit for trucks, trailers and 3 or more axles is 55 m.p.h.

But who obeys them ?

WBCCI #6269

Old 07-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Yes, 55 is the limit for anything that is towing anything. I spend a lot of time driving Hwy 5 and I rarely see anyone that is towing drive at 55. For my safety and the safety of others, I really wish these folks would limit themselves to 55 when towing. I have seen a lot of nasty "accidents" many of which today are caused by speed.

One of the most frightening things for me is to be driving down Hwy 5 in my pickup (and not towing) at 70mph and have a MH towing a 26 foot trailer or a pickup towing a fifth wheel pass me up. Absolutely insane!

When we travel to Yosemite, we have to pass through Sacramento. The traffic nightmare there has nothing to do with folks towing at 55. The Sacramento area is simply a nightmare (as if any other large urban area in Calif is not!!!). Try coming down Hwy 5, through Sac and onto Hwy 99 south! This is about the only place that I have ever had to use my air horns on the MH. And I have yet to make that journey without making a wrong turn somewhere in Sac.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
Actually The max speed limit in California 65 m.p.h. except when posted otherwise.

The max speed limit for trucks, trailers and 3 or more axles is 55 m.p.h.

But who obeys them ?
I looked it up. You are correct and I was wrong.

I always thought California was the land of fast living and fast driving.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Yes, 55 is the limit for anything that is towing anything. I spend a lot of time driving Hwy 5 and I rarely see anyone that is towing drive at 55. For my safety and the safety of others, I really wish these folks would limit themselves to 55 when towing. I have seen a lot of nasty "accidents" many of which today are caused by speed.

One of the most frightening things for me is to be driving down Hwy 5 in my pickup (and not towing) at 70mph and have a MH towing a 26 foot trailer or a pickup towing a fifth wheel pass me up. Absolutely insane!

When we travel to Yosemite, we have to pass through Sacramento. The traffic nightmare there has nothing to do with folks towing at 55. The Sacramento area is simply a nightmare (as if any other large urban area in Calif is not!!!). Try coming down Hwy 5, through Sac and onto Hwy 99 south! This is about the only place that I have ever had to use my air horns on the MH. And I have yet to make that journey without making a wrong turn somewhere in Sac.
I'm normally cruising at 80mph in LA (when there's no traffic) - that seems to be the regular flow of traffic.

But, when towing, I'm obediently at 55-60 in the right lane. Oddly enough, the over-alertness I have when towing combined with just being mellow are perfect speed limiters for me and I'm not bothered by the lower speed.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #35

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Illinois used to restrict trucks and trailers to 55 mph. I think it used to be enforced very well since once we crossed over onto I55, the tractor trailer operators used to follow that limit fairly closely. We did also, and quite honestly our towing experience was much better than here in Missouri where to many over the road truckers who are independents, 70 mph means 80. Those cowboys can pass by you so fast that if you don't have a good anti sway hitch, they can suck you right into their lane as they pass.

Alas Illinois pulled that law a couple of years ago or so and I think everyone has the same speed limit. It was nice while it lasted.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Quote:

When in California, I try to travel with the flow of traffic and stay out of the forbidden lanes when towing.

Ken

Ken

Actually we even drop the "I". It's just "the 5" or "the 80".

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Indiana has had the two tier speed limits - cars and trucks on the Interstates. On the secondary roads, only one speed limit is posted.

I was driving North on California Highway 89 today in remote areas in the mountains and woods. Posted speed limit for every one was 55 with the usual 55 for trucks/vehicles towing signs also along the road. A couple of trucks were running over 70 and I followed along a ways back to let them run interference with any flavor of LEO.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:02 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaLee View Post
Actually we even drop the "I". It's just "the 5" or "the 80".

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
At least that makes some sense, with all the freeways in SoCal that are not interstates.

Ken
Old 07-09-2015, 11:11 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Mexican food place in a place that used to be a Bank. THAT should tell you something about California.

Yeah, it tells you Mexican food here tastes like a million bucks! Paco's (in the bank) is really good, but if you're still around Sacto. check out Carmelita's.

You flying in and out of McClellan?
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:23 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
While on I-5 yesterday, at least the trucks with 3 (yes THREE) pup trailer attached were keeping close to the 55 limit. When they hit the inclines, they really slowed down and most drove on the side burm. I hurried past them when on the descents. That was just a long snake wiggling behind the truck......

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote