Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If you are in SF long enough, you might want to look at the City Pass:

Official San Francisco CityPASS® | 5 San Francisco Attractions for $69

Also, see a comparison with muni tickets:

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm

The museums are great, even if you aren't an enthusiast. And, the City Pass will pay for itself, if you plan on visiting most of the events. However, it mostly depends on how much time you will stay in the Bay Area.

If you haven't ridden trolley cars, trains and buses, they are adventures in themselves; and the locals are friendly and helpful. When we visit relatives in the City, we park our vehicle at their house and use the trains and buses the whole time we are there. Public transportation is excellent and economical in the City. Plus, parking is limited, frustrating and expensive (especially if you come from Arizona and Colorado where parking is plentiful and free).
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Airslide...How is that Novato Park? I am looking at it for s future trip. Your thoughts?
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #23
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
Airslide...How is that Novato Park? I am looking at it for s future trip. Your thoughts?

Other than being 5 minutes from my house its not that exciting. They have a little store, great deli, nice facilities and kept very clean. The downside is that they pack a few too many rvs in a tight spot and if they put you against the north side fence line it can be a bit tricky to back in. The location is pretty good but I would rather stay at the Petaluma KOA as its very nice with a wooded feel and all the same amenities and more and only 20 minutes north up 101.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #24
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
I finally saw this thread; here's webspinner was talking about.

I was heading home early since the road was being closed for 12 hours due to bridge work.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
OK, imagine that same drive on the opposite side of the road (southbound) in the dark, in fog, going 15 mph. That's what happened to us when the fog rolled in an hour before dusk, and we had to drive for another four hours in fog after getting a late start leaving Monterey Bay earlier that day. Without reservations along this stretch, there was no where to stop overnight until we got closer to LA.

By the way, fast bike! Details?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #26
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
OK, imagine that same drive on the opposite side of the road (southbound) in the dark, in fog, going 15 mph. That's what happened to us when the fog rolled in an hour before dusk, and we had to drive for another four hours in fog after getting a late start leaving Monterey Bay earlier that day. Without reservations along this stretch, there was no where to stop overnight until we got closer to LA.

By the way, fast bike! Details?
I've done 1 from Monterey to Kirk Creek or so in the fog on the bike... not that much fun 'cause it was hard to keep the visor clear enough to see. Fog generally isn't an issue until the interior starts to get warm - April/May, but it can happen any time.
Highway 1 is really made for bikes, but you don't want to miss any turns - there's often no guard rail between you and the Pacific.

The bike looks faster in that video than it is - a 1985 Honda 700 cc Nighthawk - my commuter. Shaft drive, rattlecan paint job. Plates are "Ratbyk" . New, 0 - 60 in 3.6 seconds, 12.3 second quarter. Less than that now , but a lot faster than our truck pulling the Airstream.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
Lawrence , Kansas
California Dreaming Part 2

In advance, I’d like to thank you all again. Your advice is appreciated and has helped us decide to add a couple of days to the California leg of our trip. In addition, we’re adding 5 days to the trip out from Kansas for the New Mexico and Arizona leg. My current thinking for California is the following:
A. Staying one day at Salton Sea or Joshua National Park.
B. Driving to the Santa Barbara area for an overnight via 101. Would you recommend Ocean Mesa RV Park or something cheaper or better?
C. Driving to San Francisco RV Resort in Pacifica and spending four days seeing the San Francisco area (daughter and boyfriend joining us from LA). We will explore Highway 1 without the trailer in tow.
D. Driving to Monterey area for an overnight Via 101. Marina Dunes RV or something better?
E. Driving to Malibu RV Park via 101 and spending 3 days visiting daughter and boyfriend before she goes back to school.
So once again, is this reasonable? Do you have any ideas/suggestions about Santa Barbara and Monterey areas? Is there a better midpoint than Santa Barbara and Monterey? Any thoughts on Salton Sea vs Joshua Tree? Am I crazy routing though LA to Santa Barbara?
ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Around Monterey, my two favorite spots are Elkhorn Slough (rhymes with "through" not with "rough") and the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Marina Dunes is almost exactly between those two. I can't comment on Marina Dunes yet. We'll be staying there for the first time March 25-28, with other Airstreamers.

Elkhorn Slough is a nature preserve, probably best seen by kayak, but there are tour boats that keep within the 5 mph speed limit so as not to disturb the wildlife. Sea otters, pelicans, harbor seals, cormorants and sea lions are common. Herons and egrets are there too. Kayaks can be rented at Moss Landing, where Elkhorn Slough meets the Pacific.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium is a world class aquarium, dedicated to state of the art displays, education and research. If you go there before you go to Elkhorn Slough, you'll have a better idea of what you're seeing at the Slough. There's a nice, casual restaurant at the north side of the Moss Landing bridge over the slough. Near the Monterey Bay Aquarium is Cannery Row, once a bustling fishing cannery area made famous by John Steinbeck and now full of places to meet the needs of visitors - shops, restaurants, art galleries, etc.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Marina Dunes is a nice clean park. We stayed there the week between Xmas and New Years. Try to stay on the northwest side. Close to the ocean with an amazing surf! Nice sites. I would go back.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Aliso Viejo , California
ttbikes-For option B, you can try to get a reservation at El Capitan across from Ocean Mesa. Much less expensive and a terrific park on the beach. It's really tough to get in there in the summer but mid-week in spring or winter might be a possibility. You could always use Ocean Mesa as a fallback. Just up the coast in Gaviota there is another campground at the entrance to Hollister Ranch.
Davern1 is offline   Reply With Quote