Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
Cal Central Coast Campgrounds

Stayed in Morro Dunes RV Park June 2010. Welcome To Morro Dunes RV Park 1700 Embarcadero, Morro Bay CA 93442 (map) (805) 772-2722 . Very close to Morro Rock, Dunes & Surf . I am planning a rally for last week of April 2011, have it on the rally calender, looking for some more aluminum, here is a photo. You can see morro rock in background.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1026.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	110256  
silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #42
2011 28' INTERNATIONAL

2010 28' International
Campbell , California
Johnny,

How far would you say Kirk Creek is from Monterrey. How hard was it to get a spot there?
pip8688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #43
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I just looked up the website to see how far and learned the Kirk Creek CG will be closed Oct. 11 to Oct. 31 for roadwork. The Plaskett Creek CG will be closed at the same time.

This is a bummer since we will be in the area towards the end of October.

Kirk Creek is 50 miles from Monterey and 65 miles from San Luis Obispo.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip8688 View Post
Johnny,

How far would you say Kirk Creek is from Monterrey. How hard was it to get a spot there?
It's about 40 -50 ish from Monterey. Very popular US Forest Service campgrounds. No hook ups or potable water. Plenty of water spigots but marked as non-potable. I took a short hike up the hill across the highway and found the water source....drawn from Kirk Creek and piped to the campground. This probably means that it isn't treated so if you grew up in the 40's and 50's like me your 'plumbing' can handle it . Half the campsites, 34 sites, are first come first served. While we were there the camp host said to arrive between 8 9 in the morning and grab a site that's being vacated. We arrived at 10 ish on a Monday in August and 2 sites were available. There were some on site campers picking up on sites just vacated that were more prefered than the sites they were in. The camp host will help in the logistics....in other words tell him what you want to do. The remaining sites can be reserved. But you probably need to reserve early.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #45
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
Eureka (I've Found It)

Our entry into California cost us the only Orange we had on board...one lousy orange bought at a safeway in Washington...confiscated by the California fruit police...it wasn't the orange...bu jez don;'t they have anythin better to do

and once the journey got goin...california looked absolutely beautiful goin down the one 0 one....the redwoods and the 7% grades made a beautiful drive...then just near Orick...we came upon "Elk meadow"...where majestic elk forolic and play in great numbers

the fog and sunshine interspersed among the redwoods made it seem like the majic kingdom...however broke it really is

we will spend two days exploring the redwoods and up and down the coast before departing Eureka land
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Hey guys...if you go tho the link I listed above:

ALL PUBLIC CAMPGROUNDS: STATE PARKS NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS camping Canada Provincial Parks BLM Army Engineers TVA County Regional campgrounds

when you click on the campground you're interested in, it opens a small window that will give you the mileage and directions, with a map...

clicking on the Kirk Cr marker, and inserting Montery, ca, it shows about 58 miles, etc, etc, - try it out, it's a gas....

Ray
Old 09-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are in San Francisco, having spent the last 6 days driving through the Redwoods and down Hwy 101 & 1. Beautiful, and unlike anything we have ever seen.

We saw the Elk near Orick and drove the road through the Indian Reservations that went through and above the Redwoods. Saw more Elk. This road appears on the map to be paved, but most of it is not. It was a slow and arduous drive, but worth the time for the views.

Hwy 1 the past 2 days offered spectacular views of the coast, unique villages, homes, groves of trees, beautiful flowers, etc. We are 22' and the drive was very doable but required supreme concentration on the part of driver-Doug. Not for the faint of heart.

We stayed in a PA campground three nights ago, boondocked on a bluff in a pullout two nights ago and came in to Candlestick RV Park in San Francisco yesterday, where we will be til Saturday.

We chose this park in spite of some negative reviews, because of its' location and shuttle into town. It is quite nice, paved, fenced and gated, reminiscent of the French Quarter RV Park in NOLA, for those who have been, but not as new. It is clean, staff were very helpful, bathrooms are decent, and $12 round-trip will get you to and from the heart of SF without driving and parking. Perfect for us.

Travel safe.

Maggie
Old 09-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Maggie...

Sounds like a great trip, with some wonderful 'west coast' stuff thrown in...

I have to admit, we're somewhat 'spoiled' out here in Northern Calif with all the neat stuff to do...

When you get up to Fisherman's Wharf for the 'sight-see' thing, you might want to check out Scoma's restaurant - it's our favorite there - yummy...say 'hi' to the sea lions for us....

http://www.scomas.com/

Don't forget to get a nice loaf of crusty SF Sourdough French bread, another real 'yummy' souvenir...and the Crab is to die for, there on the wharf...

Have a fun time in 'The City', as we call it out here - never, 'Frisco'...

You kinda hit a cold snap this week, but that's San Francisco weather...

Ray
Old 09-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #49

1969 21' Globetrotter
Santa Fe , New Mexico
lPip.... i see your ?? was answered.....but check out this site for other options: http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/camping.htm
johnnytrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:42 AM   #50
Islander

Hey Doug&Maggie

Lost track of you did not know you were headed this way...but then I did not know I was headed this way

Well I scoped out the route yesterday and will make the trip to Fort Bragg (from Eureka)via the CA1....44 miles from Leggett to Fort Bragg...twisty and many turns and 7% grades on a narrow road...but hey, there were many others in bigger rigs than mine and throw in a log truck or two and Hey.....take your time and be extremely careful and ......I'm going all the way on Ca1 after Fort Bragg...Just discovered PortoBodega which I am going to after Fort Bragg...

then into SF and across the Golden Gate at daylight and into Monterey and Salinas...

We were amazed at the Elk at Orick and are going back today to explore more...
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 09-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We spent the day in SF yesterday, where it was crazy-busy near Fisherman's Wharf but more normal in terms of foot traffic elsewhere in the city. Loved the sea lion herd (?) at the Wharf! Walked "the Haight", saw Chinatown, and many streets of old Victorian and Edwardian homes. It is a very beautiful and unique city.

Had chowder and sourdough at the Wharf (thanks for the tip, Ray) and an excellent dinner in Chinatown. Going back for the day today.

Candlestick RV park is very nice and quite busy. The shuttle yesterday am left on time and was a very efficient way to get into town. They coordinate with one of the hop-on, hop-off tours, $40 apiece for a two day pass, which is quite reasonable in our experience with these tours. A really good way for a newcomer to get an overview and then decide what to explore more thoroughly.

kingfisher24---we will be in CA awhile longer, maybe we can connect. Going to Lodi tomorrow to see a friend of Doug's, then returning to Hwy1 to see Big Sur, etc., before visiting friends in Riverside. Stay in touch and travel safe.

Maggie
Old 09-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #52
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We are in San Francisco, having spent the last 6 days driving through the Redwoods and down Hwy 101 & 1. Beautiful, and unlike anything we have ever seen.

We saw the Elk near Orick and drove the road through the Indian Reservations that went through and above the Redwoods. Saw more Elk. This road appears on the map to be paved, but most of it is not. It was a slow and arduous drive, but worth the time for the views.

Hwy 1 the past 2 days offered spectacular views of the coast, unique villages, homes, groves of trees, beautiful flowers, etc. We are 22' and the drive was very doable but required supreme concentration on the part of driver-Doug. Not for the faint of heart.

We stayed in a PA campground three nights ago, boondocked on a bluff in a pullout two nights ago and came in to Candlestick RV Park in San Francisco yesterday, where we will be til Saturday.

We chose this park in spite of some negative reviews, because of its' location and shuttle into town. It is quite nice, paved, fenced and gated, reminiscent of the French Quarter RV Park in NOLA, for those who have been, but not as new. It is clean, staff were very helpful, bathrooms are decent, and $12 round-trip will get you to and from the heart of SF without driving and parking. Perfect for us.

Travel safe.

Maggie
That sounds so nice! I love Prairie Creek Redwoods. They have the best scenery and wildlife of any park in the State. My family camps every 4th of July at Patrick's Point near there. That is good to know about Candlestick, thanks for that. Check out Height street. It use to be the hippie area, but it has some great shopping. Are you going to head south on the 101? If so Monterey is nice, love the Aquarium.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Our entry into California cost us the only Orange we had on board...one lousy orange bought at a safeway in Washington...confiscated by the California fruit police...it wasn't the orange...bu jez don;'t they have anythin better to do
Sorry about the orange! The California produce and fruit crops contribute such a large part of our economy and food for the country that they protect it very jealously.
No doubt you'll drive past a roadside stand where you can replace it with a local one...
Hope you have a great trip out in CA, and remember that not everyone here is nuts! :-)
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Maggie, Glad You're having a good visit to the 'City', a truly unique area, I think you'll agree...

Being at the Candlestick RV park, at least you're away from and around the 'corner' from all that destruction of the huge gas explosion in San Bruno last evening - what a tragedy for that neighborhood!

I don't know what route you plan to take to Lodi tomorrow, but I assume you're leaving in the AM - that way you'll be against the 'grain' of traffic, so to speak, even though it's Saturday...

I'd travel across the Bay Bridge, North on I-80 to Fairfield, where you can then take Hwy-12, Eastbound right into Lodi - probably the most direct route...the weather over here near Lodi is great today in the 80's, and expected to be right at 90 tomorrow...

Hwy-12 is a two lane road, and they now have a barrier in the middle of the roadway to protect you from oncoming traffic - there's some construction, but other than reduced speed area, shouldn't bother you much - we took Hwy-12 a few weeks ago, and you do have to pay 'attention' to the narrow part of the construction, but we made it OK with our 28ft AS....

Just as you roll into Lodi on Hwy-12, there's an In-And-Out Burger place next to the Lowes with lots of room to park your rig if you're hungry at that time...

Have you tried In-And-Out burgers yet? It's a west coast thing, and they have a good rep in the fast food arena - we love em...if you like your onions 'grilled', you ask them for the 'animalized' version - it's not on the menu, you have to ask for it! They're fries are really fresh as they slice the potatoes right before they toss em' in the fryer...you can get more info on their web site....

Enjoy some of the area's wonderful vino when you're in Lodi - we're lucky to have it close by...

Have a safe trip...

Ray
Old 09-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Kirk Creek is very nice. Plaskett Creek, a bit south, is nice also, but not quite as nice as Kirk. We went to Joshua Tree last October for the first time and loved it. We did have our first and only encounter with mice in the Airstream while there, so be prepared. Traps work, but we didn't get a good night's sleep until I plugged every opening I could find under the trailer with aluminum foil and Shoe Goo (there were MANY openings to plug, much to my surprise).
Also, we pulled our tent trailer through San Francisco years ago, and from that experience I would avoid it with our Airstream. Sounds like you're planning to avoid SF... good choice in my opinion.
Have fun! You're traveling to a wonderful part of the world.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post

then into SF and across the Golden Gate at daylight and into Monterey and Salinas...
2nd leg of bringing our new 27FB home from Oregon, crossed the GG bridge, I was pretty tense as I did not have much experience driving that large rig down skinny lanes like those on the bridge. Steady, and close eye on the mirrors I kept a few inches of air on each side.

Most concern for me was the turn off Doyle Drive toward 19th ave. Just before going through the tunnel at the Presidio, there's a tight right turn. On the day I went through, big concrete construction bollards choked the curbside lane down even tighter right on the apex of the curve. I think I might have come close, but upon getting home I was relieved that there were no horizontal scratches on the unit!

19th to hwy 280 is a shorter route down the peninsula (and easier traffic), but next time I'll probably stick with the 101/Van Ness truck route... And there's always 580 from San Rafael to Richmond/Oakland, but that's not near as pretty!

Take it easy!
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #57
Islander

stoping points

For BIg Sur....has anyone ever used the Riverside campgrounds 22 miles south of carmel by the sea...looks great and has good reviews on rv park review..which sometimews are spot on and sometimes not..Sept 17/18/19

How about Half Moon Bay at the Pillar Point Harbor??? Sept 15/16

How about Lompoc at the Jalma Beach county park??Sept 20/21

and Malibu at the Malibu beach RV park???

I am at the Harbor RV park at Fort Bragg today and tomorrow; Porto Bodega Marina Monday and Tuesday and most likely the above locations; Malibu being Sept 22/23
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 09-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Kingfisher...that Pillar Pt Harbor RV parking lot in HMB is a 'dump', IMHO...opening your awing will just about touch your neighbor!

The State Park Beach at HMB is the best, but it's hard to get into due to it's popularity...no hook-ups, though...

I'd try Pelican Pt RV park, just a mile or so south of town, much better place than Pillar Pt!

Stop at Cameron's British Pub for a 'pint'...food's not bad either...right on Hwy 1, just south of HMB...

Ray
Old 09-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Jalama is very nice. It's a bit out of the way, but that's what makes it nice. We also stayed at Malibu Beach RV Resort and liked it a lot. We usually prefer state park, national park and national forest campgrounds, but still liked Malibu. It's a convinient location and the sites have a great view of the coastline. We'd gladly stay there again.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Ray. Got your directional info a bit too late to help us today, but we are on 99 heading north to Lodi as I type, and it has been uneventful. Looking for a truck wash to scrub this dusty baby up a bit.

The San Bruno explosion and fire were close enough to Candlestick Park that we saw the pillar of smoke as we were coming back in, just after the explosion. A terrible tragedy. One moment all is well, the next a blazing inferno.

If you come to Candlestick RV park for a stay in SF, don't store up your laundry to do it here. Our only complaint about this park is the $2.50/load for small washing machines.

Kingfisher, we will be back on Hwy 1 South at Monterey by this evening. We'll be watchin' for ya'.

Travel safe,

Maggie