Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2018, 06:08 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Yeah. Have to admit I was less amused at the skunk than the bear. I don’t recall any skunks “letting loose” at the campground while we were there, however.
Thats encouraging!
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:38 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bridger-Teton , Wyoming
I worked in the Smokies for 6 seasons and as others have stated October is going to be BUSY, BUSY, BUSY. Probably the busiest time of year due to the fall colors. However, I hated going to Cades Cove for work. People will literally freak out when they see any kind of wildlife like a deer or turkey, stop in the middle of the road, throw all the doors open and start taking wildlife selfies for the next 15 minutes. And if there is a bear somewhere on the loop, forget about it. You'll be jammed up forever. During the busy time of year plan on taking a good 2-3 hours to drive the entire one way 11 mile loop in bumper to bumper traffic. If this is your idea of relaxing on vacation then by all means visit Cades Cove in October. However, I don't know if they still do it, but they used to close the road to bicycles only on I think Wednesdays until 10am. This would be the preferred way to ride the loop. No cars only bicycles if you go early enough. Or ride your bike from the campground around the loop. You will pass every vehicle on the road during peak visitation. There are a couple of roads that pass through the middle of the loop if you've had enough and want to cut it short. Also, Abram Falls is a nice little hike and the trailhead is at about the half-way point on the loop. Anyway, Gatlinburg and Cades Cove on a weekend in October seem stressful. Bryson City is also an option that I haven't heard mentioned. NC side. But I don't know about camping accommodations. Good luck in your travels.
veg hed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg hed View Post
I worked in the Smokies for 6 seasons and as others have stated October is going to be BUSY, BUSY, BUSY. Probably the busiest time of year due to the fall colors. However, I hated going to Cades Cove for work. People will literally freak out when they see any kind of wildlife like a deer or turkey, stop in the middle of the road, throw all the doors open and start taking wildlife selfies for the next 15 minutes. And if there is a bear somewhere on the loop, forget about it. You'll be jammed up forever. During the busy time of year plan on taking a good 2-3 hours to drive the entire one way 11 mile loop in bumper to bumper traffic. If this is your idea of relaxing on vacation then by all means visit Cades Cove in October. However, I don't know if they still do it, but they used to close the road to bicycles only on I think Wednesdays until 10am. This would be the preferred way to ride the loop. No cars only bicycles if you go early enough. Or ride your bike from the campground around the loop. You will pass every vehicle on the road during peak visitation. There are a couple of roads that pass through the middle of the loop if you've had enough and want to cut it short. Also, Abram Falls is a nice little hike and the trailhead is at about the half-way point on the loop. Anyway, Gatlinburg and Cades Cove on a weekend in October seem stressful. Bryson City is also an option that I haven't heard mentioned. NC side. But I don't know about camping accommodations. Good luck in your travels.
Thank you for the insight!
Old 07-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
To add a finer point on my post #12, the 11 mile loop road goes through the old settler's cabins. It's so beautiful! But go early! I mean like 5 am to 6 am, because at 9 am the tourists will jam the road and stop when they see a deer a half mile away.
The skunks were fearless. They tugged at trash bags in the trees. My neighbor was throwing tin cans at them. The skunks would just duck behind the trees until the can flew by then resume pulling on trash bags. Nobody got sprayed. Yikes!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
If you want quiet. If you want low traffic and fewer campers look at Cosby, Tn. It's the NW corner /edge of the park.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
To add a finer point on my post #12, the 11 mile loop road goes through the old settler's cabins. It's so beautiful! But go early! I mean like 5 am to 6 am, because at 9 am the tourists will jam the road and stop when they see a deer a half mile away.
The skunks were fearless. They tugged at trash bags in the trees. My neighbor was throwing tin cans at them. The skunks would just duck behind the trees until the can flew by then resume pulling on trash bags. Nobody got sprayed. Yikes!

I hope we have no skunk encounters!

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
If you want quiet. If you want low traffic and fewer campers look at Cosby, Tn. It's the NW corner /edge of the park.

Thanks for the recommendation!

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-20-2018, 01:40 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
I hope we have no skunk encounters!
It made for a good memory and they're harmless. Sort of.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Cades Cove Campground GSMNP

As long as they are not threatened they are cool.

We had a female with 4 babies waltz down the middle of our family and friends group one evening on the patio outside. Everyone just held still and went quiet, and the skunks just made their way through the crowd and disappeared into the distance.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Orlando , Florida
Beware of mice

Beautiful area and lots of great NP camping, hiking and sightseeing. Just be extra vigilant about keeping access doors, vents, windows, etc. closed at all times; there are herds of mice everywhere planning strategies to enter your rig!
Click image for larger version

Name:	382C889C-5DD3-4DF3-ABAC-6265A5D878F8.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	563.4 KB
ID:	317705

Name:	1D89491B-7400-429B-ADB3-8BAA88A3978F.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	317706

Name:	16217011-46FD-482B-A20C-91191572417E.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	317707
CampingJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
Is there a place near cades cove to fill our water tank so we don't have to haul with a full tank?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Cade’s Cove has a dump station and a place to fill your water tank.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:35 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Jackson , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by marciekaput View Post
I have stayed there. It has very heavy tree cover, but not much vegetation between sites—so not the most private of CG’s I have been to. I preferred smokemont....it had a bit more privacy, and is right on a scenic creek....but is on the other side of the park

This was my experience as well. We enjoyed it, but there is essentially no privacy between sites and it is a large campground. The heavy tree cover was nice. Be very careful about when you choose to do the Cades Cove loop. There is one day a week that is dedicated to Bicycles only but I cannot remember which day it is. We were there in October as well and the closest comparison would be that it was like leaving a football stadium with everybody else. Most of the time was at a standstill. Not what I was imagining when we decided to go. Smoke Mont was much more enjoyable
marciekaput is offline   Reply With Quote