Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Cabot trail

just wondering if anyone has pulled an AS around the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia Canada. its a very scenic run but the hills could be a killer. loking to drop off my 31 Classic and bobtail it around. just looking for some first hand input.
thanks
Pete
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
We did the circle in 2009 and the road is not a problem. The campsites are busy during the travel season so you will have to try to schedule your stops. Not many boondock locations as all the old pulloffs have barricades or the driveway entrance dug up.

A very scenic route with a lot of view and historical stops. Try to spend more than a couple days on this tour as you will enjoy it. The small communities are a joy to visit.

The picture that is attached is just a random shot from my ARC --- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post938938 --- on the Clipper on the west side of the Cape Breton. This picture below is another ARC shot, overlooking the Atlantic on the East Coast, on one of those pullouts where I braked hard to stop.

There is a very nice campground at Broad Cove, (just south of Neils Harbour on the east coast), that I would suggest. It has full service, showers, etc.

http://goo.gl/maps/FCu6L

Have a great holiday Pete.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARC 09 17 2009 0 016.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	207716  
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I have been around the Cabot Trail 3 times in the last decade pulling my 25 ft Safari with my 2003 Jeep 4.7L. The hills didn't seem much different from the hills in West Virginia and Virginia when going to Florida. Be prepared for lousy fuel economy. It's best to do it counter clockwise so the lay bys are on your right and you don't have to pull across the traffic. I do it in 3 days because I doddle and I always stop in at Meat Cove, and the provincial parks at Ingonish and Cheticamp. Highballing in one day would be a heart attack inducing nasty experience, but it has been done. Mile high butterscotch pie in Cheticamp is a must stop. The villages along the way are just as inspiring as the scenery and is where the best time is spent. Jim
Old 03-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Some more pictures:

Beautiful part of the world. Last time we were there, sans Airstream, we ran into a caravan, so it can be done, as Jim said.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's a shot from when we were there in '06

Just stunningly beautiful coastline, and inland valleys.

Click once on the photo for a better view
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0175cr.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	207725  
Old 03-18-2014, 02:26 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
I did the Cabot trail in 2012 with a friend with his fifth wheel box trailer ,he didn't take it around the trail we just camped just before bedeck before going onto the trail . And I drove my scooter 150cc with my wife and he took his truck with his wife and we stayed at a lodge in meat cove,like others have said its best to go around counter clock wise because of narrow roads and all the lookouts are on your right so you don't have to cross in front of traffic ,it's really nice !I'm going to do it again ,the roads are very twisty and lots of up and hills ,lots of fun on a scooter or motorcycle . I though I was going to have problems going up and down the hills and overheating the brakes with two of us on this 150cc scooter but no problem . The only thing I worried about was running out of gas as my scooter only has a 7.5 litter tank or about 1.6 gallons and a range of 240 kilometers and like others have said its best to take 3 or more days to do it.we did it in two days and that's kinda rushing it. I don't think you will have any problems doing this trail with your trailer .oh I see your from ottawa too!
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Did it in 1969 in a VW Karmen Ghia. Does that count?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
hey Scamp
yes we are from Ottawa, for now.... we are getting all set to retire this year and will slip our time between the cottage at White Lake and dragging the AS around. Taking the grandson with us east in August. we have been there many times but never dragged the As behind us in the hills of the Cabot Trail. We picked up the As last year and had it out a few times and really enjoyed it. plan on hitting Sandbanks and Bon Echo this summer nefore the trip east. looking forward to meeting other As owners along the way. This Forum is really helpful with lots of good feedback. thanks for yours and we may see each other along the way. thanks Pete
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Which way to go? Clockwise or counter clockwise?

I agree all the pullouts on this route (Cabot Trail) will be on your right side if you go counter-clockwise, and the navigator will also be on the picture side. Yes, there are some pullouts on this route that are not accessible if you travel clockwise.

But:::: Most trips start in the morning and, with bright sun, you are going to be trying to take pictures into the sun if you go counter-clockwise. (all the way as you will be returning probably in the latter part of another day and also driving into the sun on the west side of Cape Breton) I think all the pictures posted above are from a clockwise route.

One should always try to plan any motoring tour to work with the sun. Many routes will be a much more enjoyable trip, and better pictures, if you can work with the sun rather than drive into it.

Another prime example of this theory, is travelling the mountains of the western provinces/states. You will get that "remember it forever" 3D effect with the sun on your back but it will just be another day on the road if you are driving into the sun.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Good point on the sun, Dave. I think we may have seen the sun once, and it was truly beautiful just like some of the photos show, but most of the time it was sleet, fog, rain or just cloudy. Luck of the draw. Jim