Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Bend , Oregon
British Columbia & Alaska In April

I plan to tow the Safari in April 2008. Does anyone know if I will find RV parks open that early in the season?
jfowler218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
RV parks in the Lower Mainland area of British Columbia (greater Vancouver area) are open year around.

In the major centers in the interior of BC you will usually find RV parks open all year as well.

Generally, most of the RV parks that are farther north AND that are more "recreational" i.e. on a lake, in a resort area, etc. don't open until around the Victoria Day weekend (the weekend before Memorial Day) in May.

Also check out the BC provincial park site: BC Parks
Some parks are open all year - some open May 15th.

Check online at Woodalls.com & search on BC RV parks that are open all year! (You may have to sign up to access this look up feature)

Be prepared for winter travel though - in some of the passes in BC, you may have snow in April.

Enjoy your trip to the north country - take your time - lots of beautiful scenery!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Good advice from R Gussy. A lot of the 'lower mainland' and lower Vancouver
Island/ Victoria regions get predominately rainy weather in winter. We are in the beautiful Gulf Islands for the holidays and it's rainy and about 45 degrees with periodic sunshine, all of which is to say you can usually find a camp/ rv site open somewhere in the region.
I hope you aren't bringing the Model "A" tow vehicle though?!!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
When in April? The later it is the more likely you are to have decent weather and find campgrounds open or preparing to open so potentially glad to have a customer. The weather can still be pretty erratic at that time of year. I believe the latter part of April the BC WBCCI could possibly be holding a Vintage rally in Osoyoos, BC which is a couple of miles north of the border in the interior. There are already hot rod runs by mid April in the southern part of the province. As late as May, though, be prepared for surprise and sudden snow pretty much from Kamloops north, and don't be surprised to find it at elevations further south. Tourism BC could also provide you with information.

Barry
Old 12-26-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Thumbs up Jfowler,

I have traveled 3 time to Alaska in early May.If you earlyer you may meet some white stuff falling from the sky.
If you get tired there are a lot of road side rest stops that you can spend a night. They rather have you of the road in a road side rest than in the ditch.Buy for your self a book called Milepost it will give you all the data you need for the trip.
Two things I would recommend are.
1. Carry about 10 galons of fuel for your vehicle. So if the place is closed you stop in you can get to the next one.
2.Always fill up when you hit half full on your tank. Becouse the next place may be 150 miles down the road. Do not look at the price becouse it will scare you. As I tell the wife when she starts to complaine (if you can push I will look for cheaper place.)
The highway is good. It is two lane all the way and is back top. There few place that are under construction, but all you have to do is slow down.
The worst part is between Haines Junction and Beaver Creek. It has a lot chuck holes and a lot of frost heaves or dips in the road. Wach for flags by the road the mean a dip is there.
I hope to go again next year if health permits it. I have been going for Chemo treatments for Melenoma cancer. I schould be done in 3 months.
We will see.
Regards from Russell In cool and suny Tucson Arizona
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Bend , Oregon
Thanks to all for the good advice. Russell- Hope to see you in AK.
jfowler218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
Early May be too early

We left Oklahoma in May for Prince Rupert B.C. and planned to take the ferry to Anchorage and other destinations. We got to Burns Lake the first week in June. We had to turn back because of a landslide at Houston and general flooding between Prince George and prince Rupert. We arrive a week late because of tow vehicle problems. We arrived in Prince George and learned that a landslide in Smithers the day before killed a couple of British Columbia residents that traveled the area regularly.

You need to keep in mind that Canada is not the US and British Columbia is quite dangerous in spring because of flooding and landslides. It was a great trip but it was also sobering. I think April is quite early. You are likely to encounter flooding and landslides. BC is not northern US. Do not mean to scare you but there are issues.
LRPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:34 PM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Jim,

I wish we were going with you. I'd like to spend more time in BC, YT and AB the next time we go...might not even go to AK again.

Don't know about April, sorry - but that seems awful early to me. But I understand about calendars and that sometimes you just gotta go.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
As I tell the wife when she starts to complaine (if you can push I will look for cheaper place.)
Russell, funny comment!
I hope your health improves. My wife had melenoma surgery in Santa Monica about 3 years ago with good results. I hope your outcome is as good!
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Just a heads up that there is quite a large and growing ice jam at Prince George, BC. I do not know what this means for flooding elsewhere but certain areas of that city are being evacuated. I suspect, though, that come melt time any low lying roads along the Fraser will experience a lot of water. Typically that would be in the March/April/May time frame depending on other weather factors.

Other than that we have decent roads through out the province. We do get snow and mudslides as part of the "fun" during the wet seasons and now and then they catch someone. The important thing is to stay in touch with the various road conditions.

You might find this link helpful.

British Columbia - Main Index

We hope you come and enjoy our province, even if it's just passing through on your way somewhere further north. We have for the most part a paradise here that we think you'll enjoy. But be aware we have wildlife (bears, cougar, wolves and coyotes to name a few) so don't let your pet out on a leash, it's like an offering that can't get away so make sure when they are out you are with them, and keep your garbage locked up.

Barry